Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my first Zoe in about 10 days. I understand that it comes with a keyless entry system. Recently there has been a lot of news about how easy it can be for thieves to boost the signal of the card in the house. Can the zoe key be turned off ? If not I will have to invest in one of those RF blocker key fobs.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I have my spare fob in a blocker pouch. The keyless on the zoe can easily be turned off by double pressing the lock button on the fob. Then it needs to be unlocked with the fob button again. Door button doesn't work. I have checked with the fob right in my pocket so I know a boosted signal wouldn't work either.

It's very easy to boost the signal. I haven't seen any demonstrations with a zoe only other cars. There are supposedly better kits that can boost signals over even longer distances.

Keyless with easy deadlock facility is definitely useful. Zoe also locks automatically if you walk away from it. It's very keen on this, especially if you move around the front of the car so it often locks it when I go to undo the charge port.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for such a quick reply. What size is the key - I need to find one on Amazon which is the right size to accommodate the Zoe key - which if memory serves is quite large. Any links to what you have would be useful.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
The key is credit card sized but several mm deep. I think I just got a pouch that would fit a phone so I could shove more than the one key in if needed. The key only ones look a bit small.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Welcome. As explained above, If you use the fob button to lock the Zoe it does NOT allow passive unlocking, so there is no risk of relay attack. If you feel at risk, I would do that rather than faf with a Faraday pouch.

For a relay attack to work the key has to be reasonably near the attackers transmitter. So it is unlikely to work when you are at a large office, for example. Most cases are at home were people have left the key in hall, near a window or similar.

From FB, I have heard of a Zoe being stolen recently but they broke in to get key. I was surprised they targeted a Zoe - wonder why?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I put my keys in a tin by the front door. I've punched a few shallow dimples around the edge of tin to make sure there is electrical contact with the lid (most tins are painted and the lids don't make contact).

This is by far the best solution as you have to eat all the shortcake biscuits in order to re-purpose the tin :D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Welcome. As explained above, If you use the fob button to lock the Zoe it does NOT allow passive unlocking, so there is no risk of relay attack. If you feel at risk, I would do that rather than faf with a Faraday pouch.

For a relay attack to work the key has to be reasonably near the attackers transmitter. So it is unlikely to work when you are at a large office, for example. Most cases are at home were people have left the key in hall, near a window or similar.

From FB, I have heard of a Zoe being stolen recently but they broke in to get key. I was surprised they targeted a Zoe - wonder why?
Yea I don't think I've even thought twice about my Zoe being stolen..! Was a constant worry on my old Audi S5.

But then I guess the batteries are very valuable!

·
Registered
331 Posts
We bought a pouch when we got the Zoe, which was a bit of a waste of money now that we know that you can lock them via the fob and disable it. Now we have 2 cars with the system and the PHEV has no way of disabling it. We too use a tin for both sets of keys. We checked, and even holding the tin against the car won't allow unlocking

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
But then I guess the batteries are very valuable!
They'd most likely kill themselves disconnecting it. Pretty sure there's valuable copper in charging cables too, but I'd wager nobody messes with those for the same reason.

On topic, I do wonder if anyone's stupid enough to steal an EV. They wouldn't get very far, and it's easy to remotely disable charging if it does go missing, which would render it useless.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes 400V would fry them - no doubt about that - The Zoe needs to be double locked and then it's dead to anything else but the unique code of the key that locked it - the key also does not transmit unless the button is pressed - 0 chance of a relay theft. Besides I keep mine on such a low SOC sometimes I could run down the road after them and beat them up when they run out :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
fair enough. I always like to do it twice just to make sure - mines a 68 plate so I guess behind the times!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Are you absolutely sure the isolating effect of the tin doesn't wear out after a while? To be safe I suggest replacing the tin every week or two with a new one. You can't be too careful.
Do you sell shortcake biscuits :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
no need for any nonsense blocking signal boxes. if you lock the zoe with the key (pressing the lock button) the keyless system is disabled and you can only unlock it by pushing the unlock button on the key. Just push the lock button like you would on a "normal car". when you get home at the end of the day

·
Registered
238 Posts
fair enough. I always like to do it twice just to make sure - mines a 68 plate so I guess behind the times!
Double press also activates deadlock (cant open the car from inside handles). good to keep dogs locked in. Or if you're a kidnapper and dont want your victim to escape

1 - 20 of 21 Posts