Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime ago I noticed a patch of mysterious scratches that have appeared on both sides towards the bottom of the front wings. They all curve in the same direction and I could not think what they could possibly be.

Then today when I was sitting in the car wash I suddenly realised - the wheel scrubbers must have missed the front wheels! Probably confused by the low front spoiler? Was ok today but I won't be using a car wash again!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Indeed stopped using them years ago. A visit to Detailing World will set you on the path to enlightenment young Padawan.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Sorry to be contrary, but Meguiars Scrach X doesn't quite cut it (pardon the pun) for all but the lightest scratches.

A better approach is T Cut which has slightly more cutting power. Then use Autoglym Super Resin Polish which has fillers (as well as minor polishing abilities). Then top off with your LSP of choice - either a wax or sealant. Again, Autoglym HD wax is a very durable product that will help provide some protection.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well you sound like you know more about it than me Brooktop but I was just speaking from an experience I had a few years ago when a car of mine got lightly key'd down all 3 panels. I tried T-Cut first (default mode!) but it didn't get it done so I borrowed some Scratch-X on recommendation from a friend and I was amazed how well it worked. I still have the before/after photos somewhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice - I'm going to try T-Cut first simply because I have already bought it, but I'll know what to try next if that doesn't work! I'm not generally excessively car proud - life's too short - but some improvement would be very welcome.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I take the view that prevention is better than cure. I clean my car about once a month but 2x a year I do a full job. Ie polish and good wax (or sealant) with top up products inbetween such as AG aqua wax. With a good lsp washing is easier.

In terms of aggressiveness of abrasion, the domestic product hierarchy would be:

Cutting compound
T cut
Scratch remover
Polish

A wax or sealant has no abrasive properties and are called Last Step Products. They merely enhance shine and add a sacrificial layer.

Reactions: Phil Lourie

·
Registered
394 Posts
AG aqua wax is great stuff for someone like me who doesn't want to spend too long washing/cleaning. It's so fast to use and I love how you can squirt it on all surfaces including glass and it still does a good, smear free job.

What would you recommend for the 6 month wax?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've tried lots of waxes and the best all rounder is the Autoglym HD Wax but DON'T buy it from Halfords at £40. Get it online for about £25. Life is 4 - 6 months and it's pretty easy to buff off.
I also have Nattys Blue at the moment (about £13 online). It smells lovely and lasts up to 3 months....but use it sparingly and do a panel at a time because it's a pig to buff off.

If your car is light, a sealant may be the way to go - especially if it's white. It makes for a 'brighter' look as waxes inevitably have some 'yellow' to them if they have carnauba. They're easier to apply too. I've used Optiseal but preferred Werkstat Jett...which is great because it can be 'layered'. Many products strip the existing layer.

AG Aqua Wax is great because it also helps minimise swirl marks whilst drying.

ps folks...NEVER use a sponge.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
You'll be doing the 2BM next (2 bucket method)
Argh! (fingers in ears)
That said, I do rinse off with water first.
I never used to wash my last car as it was a slightly battered 10 year old Volvo. Now I'm getting pulled down the rabbit hole of car washing with the Leaf. My wife was amazed when I bought car shampoo and wax. She thought I'd lost it completely.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, there's definitely something about the leaf that makes me want to keep it clean and shiny. I never really bothered before either and just recently found out a about sponges and multiple buckets. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
No shame in having pride in your belongings. Bizarrely enough, washing your car in the rain is a handy tip for a routine wash as it loosens dirt and you can skip the drying stage.

If that's a bit hard core, pre-wetting helps - but snow foaming is even better if you have a pressure washer. Quite satisfying and gets some right looks from the neighbours.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I hand washed the Ampera a couple of times when I first got it, but gave up because parts of it, especially the back end, instantly got filthy again the first time I went out in it! So these days I just put it through the car wash when it's looking especially grubby (I.e about once a month). There's a couple of good automatic car washes nearby, that I've used with various cars for years, never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You're probably right...but over time those big bristles will take their toll. Dare say I'd be be happy for someone to wash my face with their wash mitt...not so much with one of those! :eek:

If I was feeling lazy, then I'd prefer one of the many hand car washes that have sprung up in closed down petrol stations, as I found 'automatics' never go into the wheels effectively.

The way I look at it, car washing is free exercise and gives you some 'head space' time which we rarely get in modern life. Each to their own...and my wife certainly doesn't get my passion for car cleaning (I stopped short of 'detailing').

Another top tip guys: NEVER let bird muck sit on your car for long. If left, the acidic bird lime can etch your paint - happened on a Seat Leon of mine! Of course, a layer of wax or sealant does provide a bit more protection.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts