Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really hope someone here knows what is going on and can offer a solution.

On a long journey with 2015 leaf 24 yesterday. I made it to a charger with the car virtually empty. The charger was faulty! Managed to drive another two miles to another rapid charger but it told me the car and charger were not compatible. After this I couldn't select drive to get to the next charger 1 more mile away. Got recovered to another rapid charger and it said the car was faulty. Got recovered to home but car won't charge on granny and I still can't select drive.

The recovery guy had heard that a fuse can blow when trying to rapid charge an empty leaf. Does this sound right?

When I plug in with EVSE, all three lights flash briefly (one green, two red) and then just the green ready light is lit indicating that it is ready to charge, but no charging occurs!

Any ideas? Guessing I will now need to pay for flatbed to dealer but hoping there is something I can do to get some charge in the car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I know very litte about the LEAF, but are you able to check the 12v battery terminal voltage? My understanding is that if this battery fails then functions such as the main battery charging etc may not work at all.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
When you are connecting a cable to the car are you hearing any beeping? Any activity from the blue lights in the middle of the dash? Any warning lights apart from the obvious very low battery and maybe a turtle?

First thing, as mentioned would be to check the 12v battery is healthy. If it is all good, then simply disconnecting the 12v battery for a short while and reconnecting it may be enough to make it work again.

If you're certain that the 12v is good, and disconnecting it didn't help then a trip to the dealer is likely the next step.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
A fourth vote for the 12v battery, particularly if it is the original as it is getting long in the tooth. The symptom of "not going into gear" is 12v related not the traction battery. Did you have the Turtle? 🐢
You can try charging it if you have a suitable charger, or connect the car if you have another car and jump leads at which point the granny lead will start charging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for suggestions so far. Here is more info

So, currently getting 11.9 on the 12v battery. Not great but understandable as I used it a fair bit during the many hours it took me to get recovered.

Have disconnected as instructed but still no charging joy. There is a single tone when connecting cable to car and a couple of clicking noises, but no lights on front of dash and no further beeps. The lower display shows that the car is plugged in too.

I have attached a picture of display warning lightswwhen I try and turn the car on.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
It's not clear from your comments that you have put the 12v battery on a mains charger for a good period of time and then reconnected to the car and tried again. Much of what you have described can be caused by a low 12v voltage and that aspect should be eliminated first. Alternatively, replace the 12v battery and then connect a fully charged battery from a second car via jump leads on croc clips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have never charged 12v battery but am doing so now and will try charging car again tomorrow...

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have attached a picture of display warning lightswwhen I try and turn the car on.
Ok, so you have "turtled" and the traction battery is not so much low as very low. But that in itself will not prevent charging. The symptoms that you describe are of the contactors not closing and allowing the main battery to charge.
If you cancel the message on the screen are there any more behind it?
Also, if you are charging with the 12v connected then you could try connecting the granny charger - the battery charger is likely to be providing enough current to actuate the contactors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No messages behind the one shown. Out and about now but will try charging whilst 12v connected once Igget home.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm very grateful for and impressed by this community!

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Ok, so you have "turtled" and the traction battery is not so much low as very low. But that in itself will not prevent charging. The symptoms that you describe are of the contactors not closing and allowing the main battery to charge.
Also, if you are charging with the 12v connected then you could try connecting the granny charger - the battery charger is likely to be providing enough current to actuate the contactors.
I agree. But it could be that his charger is only a low current trickle variety and might not be providing sufficient power via a flat battery to activate the car. A jump from an ICE could work though. Or an overnight trickle. Whatever it takes to get a good strong voltage at the 12v terminals to eliminate this as the main problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
No, the peak is quite high. I killed a 12V charger this way.
Jump from another car is the most reliable for a dead 12v Leaf.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Afraid to say that car still won't charge even with 12v battery reading 12.9 v after several hours of charging. When I try, exactly the same thing happens. Initial beep followed by clicking noises but no further beeps or dash lights.

Anything else I can try, or is it flatbed to Nissan?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
919 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the car 12v battery completely for 10 mins then connecting it and trying again?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Charge timer definitely off.

I only left the battery disconnected for 30 seconds or so. Forgive my ignorance but why would 10 mins make a difference?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Hey John
You are learning fast! ;) Ever fancied a career in IT support? :p

Edit - it's good advice, but so different from his day job.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts