Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current debate in our house for our holiday... my husband wants to fly but I fancy the challenge of driving from Cardiff to Edinburgh in a 24kw 15 plate Tekna with a 6.6 charger.

He has had a look on Zap map and he believes it is 9 stops. Has anyone tried this and would it be madness?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This may help you decide how mad it is? is it a holiday or a challenge? If you are both relaxed about the time it would take and potential hiccups then I'd be interested to know how it went. If you need a holiday then probably best to avoid :D

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
He has had a look on Zap map and he believes it is 9 stops. Has anyone tried this and would it be madness?
It's technically doable, but I wouldn't do it on one day, as it would be a very long and tedious day...

If you're happy to split it over a couple of days and make the journey party of the holiday, then go for it. You could also consider the train, rather than flying.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I did Luton to Edinburgh in a 24kWh eNV200 a couple of years ago. 9 stops overall and about 14 hours, although over an hour was wasted waiting for a taxi driver to re-appear from topping up his Leaf to 98% in Alnwick. Apart from that, it was a very relaxing way of doing it, precisely because of the large number of stops.

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
I’d second the above. If you’re happy to make it part of the holiday and maybe take 2 days then why not.
I’ve just done a 540 mile trip north passing Edinburgh this summer and it was actually really enjoyable.
The m6 north past Cumbria has some pleasant little services and plenty of them.

It’s an adventure :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Current debate in our house for our holiday... my husband wants to fly but I fancy the challenge of driving from Cardiff to Edinburgh in a 24kw 15 plate Tekna with a 6.6 charger.

It's no problem. We (medium loaded 24 Kwh 2016 env200) went from Swansea to Glasgow in a day, leaving at 0830, arriving at 2100, and in foul April weather, and from Edinburgh by return, similar timing I don't have the number of stops to hand - no more than 7/8 if memory serves, 2 free in Scotland - but recorded them and will post them if you like. Be sure to cross the border for your last but 1 stops outbound, then 1 more will get you there - they'll be free. Avoid Moffat village rapid if you can on return, they charge. The motorway ecotricity are free all the way to the border as I remember.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I did Romford to Sheffield on Tuesday.. Only 180 odd miles but it was painful. 2 stops going in with already warm battery hitting the red bar.

Return journey was easier. I went first 90 miles behind a couple of trucks and after the first charge had enough to get home at 70mph.

I really need a longer range EV

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
As long as you both agree and enjoy the trip and the breaks for charging it would be fun. If you are trying to get there quickly then it will be painful. Longest trip I did was 225 miles getting my Leaf home after buying it and it only became stressful when it was getting late and I was having problems with the last charger.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As long as you both agree and enjoy the trip and the breaks for charging it would be fun. If you are trying to get there quickly then it will be painful. Longest trip I did was 225 miles getting my Leaf home after buying it and it only became stressful when it was getting late and I was having problems with the last charger.
I had issues with last charge too. While driving wasn't throttled, charging most definitely was. It did 30% in 30 mins compared to 70% or more.

Luckily the last charge was at the hotel I was staying and it was the hottest day so far.. 33 outside

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it would be wise to take note of the comments of the Leaf drivers to split the journey over 2 days in case of charge throttling. The e-nv200 has active cooling and is designed to rapid charge many times a day so can tolerably achieve a reasonable distance albeit slowly and without charging time being adversely affected by temperature / throttling. Anecdotally I have only been able to get the temp gauge to 3/4s full after rapid charging 5 times and haven't seen any throttling even after 7 rapids.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think it would be wise to take note of the comments of the Leaf drivers to split the journey over 2 days in case of charge throttling. The e-nv200 has active cooling and is designed to rapid charge many times a day so can tolerably achieve a reasonable distance albeit slowly and without charging time being adversely affected by temperature / throttling. Anecdotally I have only been able to get the temp gauge to 3/4s full after rapid charging 5 times and haven't seen any throttling even after 7 rapids.
The above only applies to the 24kW eNV200. Sadly, for some daft reason, Nissan re-wrote the software for the 40kW version, so the cooling fans don't really bother working when on a rapid, meaning charging rates for the 2nd (if hot) and subsequent rapid charges are throttled to 26kWh. If you don't speed, then if you're lucky you might get 34kWh just on the 2nd rapid only and then it's down to 26kWh from then on.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The 24kWh Leaf doesn't have the same issue with the battery getting hot AFAIK. My 225 mile trip wasn't affected by a hot battery but by an Ecotricity rapid charger issue, took a very long time to get it started.
It was my first EV trip and it wouldn't have caused me much issue now, but I was adviced to work on averaging 30mph including charging. I thought that rather slow but didn't even achieve that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts