Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to all this, forgive me if I'm asking daft questions!

I need to get to Norwich from Ware in Herts tomorrow, but I only have an Ecotricity card. Have applied for a Sourceeast one (in March, have been told they have a batch of faulty cards, will send new one ASAP. Starting to lose faith with them actually). So applied this week for a Polar/Chargemaster one but it's not arrived in time.

So. Any ideas on where to charge between Ware and Newmarket. A14/A11 corridor. Will be travelling with a small one, so it'll need to be fairly rapid. Anywhere which doesn't require a card and is PAYG? Can any of the Sourceeast / Polar points be used without a card, but you can pay my mobile or similar? Or are there Ecotricity points which are not listed on their site?

Thanks in advance!

SerendipitySue

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
there is a fast charger near cambridge (in cambourne) its a chargemaster one, so you can pay as you go with the app, but then you enter the great charging desert that is East Anglia

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
there is also a fast charger at Nissan in Bury St Edmunds, however its only office hours, that should get you to Norwich where there is another at a Nissan Dealer

·
Registered
145 Posts
The rapid charger at Colchester Nissan is available 24/7 and doesn't need a card. Although it's probably somewhat out of your way and may be too far from Norwich to be useful anyway.

And with that we have now mentioned every rapid charger in East Anglia except the one at the Green Britian Centre in Swaffham, which is currently offline!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The rapid charger at Colchester Nissan is available 24/7 and doesn't need a card. Although it's probably somewhat out of your way and may be too far from Norwich to be useful anyway.

And with that we have now mentioned every rapid charger in East Anglia except the one at the Green Britian Centre in Swaffham, which is currently offline!
And only open office hours Monday to Friday!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, looked at the possibly of bouncing from dealer to dealer (did that very successfully Herts-Ipswich-Cambridge-Herts this week) but am likely to be travelling back late in the evening.

I was hoping not to have to get the train, but it looks like this particular ev adventure can't happen. I'm spectacularly annoyed with Source East who've still not sorted a card after nearly eight weeks.

But my faith with the car is intact!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to all this, forgive me if I'm asking daft questions!

I need to get to Norwich from Ware in Herts tomorrow, but I only have an Ecotricity card. Have applied for a Sourceeast one (in March, have been told they have a batch of faulty cards, will send new one ASAP. Starting to lose faith with them actually). So applied this week for a Polar/Chargemaster one but it's not arrived in time.

So. Any ideas on where to charge between Ware and Newmarket. A14/A11 corridor. Will be travelling with a small one, so it'll need to be fairly rapid. Anywhere which doesn't require a card and is PAYG? Can any of the Sourceeast / Polar points be used without a card, but you can pay my mobile or similar? Or are there Ecotricity points which are not listed on their site?

Thanks in advance!

SerendipitySue
Hi Sue

Here is how I would view this trip.

95 miles from Ware to the rapid charger in Norwich.

Are you staying in Norwich or coming back the same day?

Do you have a recent gen 2 leaf

Do you have a 6kw charger on your Leaf?

95 miles is at the limit of the Leaf.
.But if you drive VERY gently on a warm day in May you should arrive with 5 to 10 miles to spare. By very gently I mean no more than one dot on the energy display whenever possible, driving in eco. Have the percentage battery on your display. Zero your trip. This way you can see how closely your % charge is going. You are aiming for no more than one % per mile.

Have a plan b in mind. One plan b might be the zero net charger at the guest house in Attleborough. If you are running low you could stop there and charge BUT check what connection they have. If you have a three pin plug you should be able to charge either way but it will be slow.

Phone both the Nissan dealer in Norwich and your plan b....poss Attleborough....before you leave.
If you need to return from Norwich the same day you will need to be fully charged. While it does take 30 mins to80%charge to 100% charge can take an hour and a half....the charge slows down to protect the battery.

All of this is a complete pain potentiallu. And by the end of this year you will be able to use ecotricity rapid chargers on this route courtesy of the eu / nissan rapid charge network.

But in the meantime. Plan. Drive carefully (have learnt to enjoy it myself).

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Thanks all, looked at the possibly of bouncing from dealer to dealer (did that very successfully Herts-Ipswich-Cambridge-Herts this week) but am likely to be travelling back late in the evening.

I was hoping not to have to get the train, but it looks like this particular ev adventure can't happen. I'm spectacularly annoyed with Source East who've still not sorted a card after nearly eight weeks.

But my faith with the car is intact!
Shame but understand.

Today I managed to get from 40 % to 94% by parking my car at a type 2 socket at the dealer in Oswestry, Shropshire.

The Zero Net type 2 chargers can be perfect for your kind of trip because they will fully charge your car in 4 hours if you have a 6kw charger. And need no card.

If you know of a businesd that might be open to one of these could help future trips.

Also remember currently anyone at home can get a home charger fitted for free. Including friends or family in Norwich!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I know I have been one of the more adventurous Leafers over the past few years but on this one even I would get the train...

Do not feel bad. The Leaf is not well suited for trips like this. Sure, we all want to do them when we can but that is more out of determination and adventure. If you don't want the risk and adventure then the train is by far the better choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Some useful stuff here. I think, on balance, it's too tight for me to risk. I do generally drive on the Eco setting, and I'm content to pootle at an optimum speed but with a 3 year old in the back .... Nah. I've only got a regular 3 pin charger too.

I was hoping to take advantage of the Little Chef network, but there's not much about it on their own website. Zapmap lists them, but not sure to trust it for branches further afield since the local one is still listed (Royston) yet it shut ages ago ...

Sue

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Sorry I missed this yesterday!
That's wierd about sourceeast. I applied for a card only 6 weeks ago, maybe even 5, as soon as I got my new registration number. The card arrived before the car did. Have now been using it successfully for 3 weeks.
It doesn't have any rapids, but even at 7kw, you would be able to grab 20-25 miles whilst having a coffee and toilet stop.
I am only a 10 minute walk from our local charging station at the park and ride at trumpington, but you would need a type 2 cable. Sadly I can't help with that, as I think the leaf needs a type 2 - type 2 cable, whereas I only I have a type 2 - type 1 cable. But if you need to borrow a sourceeast card for the day, I can come and swipe you in and out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Sorry I missed this yesterday!
That's wierd about sourceeast. I applied for a card only 6 weeks ago, maybe even 5, as soon as I got my new registration number. The card arrived before the car did. Have now been using it successfully for 3 weeks.
It doesn't have any rapids, but even at 7kw, you would be able to grab 20-25 miles whilst having a coffee and toilet stop.
I am only a 10 minute walk from our local charging station at the park and ride at trumpington, but you would need a type 2 cable. Sadly I can't help with that, as I think the leaf needs a type 2 - type 2 cable, whereas I only I have a type 2 - type 1 cable. But if you need to borrow a sourceeast card for the day, I can come and swipe you in and out.
The Leaf uses a Type1-Type2 cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Lee. Back now after a long round trip by train (actually a nice experiences) - thanks for your belated offer of help. Will bear you in mind!

Sue

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Lee. Back now after a long round trip by train (actually a nice experiences) - thanks for your belated offer of help. Will bear you in mind!

Sue
Sue

If you visit Norwich again I live on the Ipswich Road with type 2 socket charger in my drive. There are several Source East type 2 in the city which are seldom used. Might help if very low on arrival as the dealer is on the North side. BMW at Cambourne also have a Rapid and told me they would let Nissans charge, it is 150 yards from the Hotel Chargemaster Rapid. Cambridge Services now have 2 Rapids but slightly off route.

Rory

1 - 19 of 19 Posts