Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an EV which is large enough to slide my bike into.

Which EV has the longest space for cargo?

Out of production EVs are acceptable.

I'm not finding dimensions anywhere online.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm looking for an EV which is large enough to slide my bike into.

Which EV has the longest space for cargo?

Out of production EVs are acceptable.

I'm not finding dimensions anywhere online.
If it's a hatchback and you can fold down the rear seat, then probably all of them.
I used to own a BMW i3 and could get my XXL road bike in the back easily enough, apart from having to remove the front wheel and drop the seatpost. Anything bigger than an i3 should be capable.

You could always get a Tesla Model X, but that's overkill and a damned sight more money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My MTB goes into the back of my Leaf (back seats folded) by taking the front wheel out and pushing the dropper seatpost down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My medium road bike goes into the back of the Kia Soul without issues (seats folded down). Just need to remove the front wheel.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
Removing the front wheel isn't much work and lets you use relatively small cars. With hydraulic brakes note not to squeeze the lever while the wheel is out! However much depends on the bike size and type so you really should try with yours.

My XS road bike only just goes into a VW e-up, front wheel removed but no need to drop the saddle. The main problem is the low back opening so that I have to lay it completely on its side. Hard to do this without getting the car or yourself dirty. The bike rests partly on one pedal and isn't stable, so must be strapped down. Too much hassle to do it regularly.

Gen 1 Clio, though not that much bigger, was much better - fold the larger part of the rear seats, put bike in almost vertically & lean the frame against the non-folded part of rear seats. The bike stands on the rear wheel and one fork leg and is in most cars stable enough to not even need any strapping. The car can still carry three people.

A Berlingo can carry it upright facing sideways even without folding any seats, so it could still carry 5 people and some other luggage.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
Tesla Bjorn on youtube did measure some boots as I recall.

Model S and X wouldn't have an issue as they're massive. Get one of those :)

Leaf is hampered with the Bose system as it's a fat lump in the floor.

I'd think you'd have to measure the bike with and without front wheel and then see how many owners would be willing to see if their EVs might be big enough to reduce the short list of potential models.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Tesla model 3 has a long loadspace when the seats are folded down. I've managed to carry 10ft 2x4s run from the corner of the boot down into the passenger footwell.

It also has a very deep well at the back of the boot, which would allow the handlebar to drop down into as the bike lays on its side.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
313 Posts
RIDC are good for this, they measure everything for people to assess if wheelchairs and the like fit. Car search | RiDC

Bikes vary enormously too, a long full suspension 29er is a very different prospect to a road bike. If you're willing to take a front wheel off then 1.4m-ish to rear of front seats (eg. Golf/Leaf size) is OK, and something extra long you'll need both off. You need to be at 2m (Passat estate size) to get most bikes in, wheels on, comfortably.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
You need to be at 2m (Passat estate size) to get most bikes in, wheels on, comfortably.
Slightly unrelated, but my record in a Passat was 2 bikes and 2 passengers (and me driving) at the same time. Late night rescue mission - two friends both got massive punctures on the same stretch of path and called me out for a pick up. Interestingly, when we started stacking the bikes in the car, boot height rather than length was the main issue - they were fine once they were in, but actually maneuvering the bikes into and out of the boot was a real pest. Something slightly taller would have really helped for this kind of stupid scenario. Or a bike rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good information everyone. Thanks for your time and comments!

The reason for asking for measurements is that my bike only fits in the back of my pickup truck diagonally. It does however fold - but that is not the easiest thing for me to do because of medical conditions.

I can't lift the bike except for one end at a time. (The problems are why I am riding the bike in the first place.)
Link to the bike

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Leaf is hampered with the Bose system as it's a fat lump in the floor.
That can be taken out easily. From memory, 4 bolts inside the boot and pull out the connector - job done.

I have the same problem - need to get x2 electric folders in the boot. They are very heavy, so I want to stand them up, not stack them on the floor.

I can get one folded, standing up behind the back seat, with a tie onto the headrest. Rather stupidly, I thought I could get another one behind the other rear seat - no chance. If I'd have looked at the space available, rather than just assuming ... ho hum.

·
Registered
768 Posts

The reason for asking for measurements is that my bike only fits in the back of my pickup truck diagonally. It does however fold - but that is not the easiest thing for me to do because of medical conditions.

I can't lift the bike except for one end at a time. (The problems are why I am riding the bike in the first place.)
Link to the bike
Ah.....
A trike, not a bike?!
Quite a nifty machine actually.
Folded, especially without the rear rack, it would comfortably fit into a BMW i3. Loading would be fairly straight forward as there is no lip on the boot/trunk and the rear seat folds flat to give a continuous load level, but it definitely would have to be folded and without the rack, otherwise it would a total non starter.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Ah, Scorpions are nice, but not the best fold - one of the reasons I bought an ICE Sprint as the fold mechanism is a bit better and makes it much easier to get it into small spaces. Best way I found to transport a trike is on roof bars to be honest, but their a fair weight to lift up there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, Scorpions are nice, but not the best fold - one of the reasons I bought an ICE Sprint as the fold mechanism is a bit better and makes it much easier to get it into small spaces. Best way I found to transport a trike is on roof bars to be honest, but their a fair weight to lift up there.
Ah yes, the roof is a good option, but it will require a second person to get it up. There was/is a video showing how to swing a velomobile on the hood/bonnet and roll it on the roof. Sadly, also no help for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to have a Ford Transit or Ranger EV but don't want a hobby vehicle. A Nissan ENV 200 would also be a good idea, but sadly they are not available to import to the US.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Link to the bike
That is obviously rather trickier! My previous comment can safely be ignored!

However, I wonder if the mustang mach-e and model y might possibly work? I think they have enough width between wheel arches and so on that with the seats down you could roll the bike forward until the front wheels come up to the seat backs, with the cranks and chainring section poking through into the front area between the front seats. Removing the rear boot floor in the Tesla would then allow the rear wheel to drop down some such that the tailgate might clear? Id4 might also manage the same thing.

Is it specifically full EV you want? Otherwise the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV might be worth a look?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is obviously rather trickier! My previous comment can safely be ignored!

However, I wonder if the mustang mach-e and model y might possibly work? I think they have enough width between wheel arches and so on that with the seats down you could roll the bike forward until the front wheels come up to the seat backs, with the cranks and chainring section poking through into the front area between the front seats. Removing the rear boot floor in the Tesla would then allow the rear wheel to drop down some such that the tailgate might clear? Id4 might also manage the same thing.

Is it specifically full EV you want? Otherwise the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV might be worth a look?
I want to be hydrocarbons-free (as far as possible.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts