Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Sorry all this is going to sound like a really n00b question but I have read conflicting answers on how the car connects to the internet!

My GTE is connected using a mifi unit when I am away from home, but it won’t last long without charge so have to turn it off when I go on holiday. It does not have the sim option in the glove compartment.

However, I have read that CarNet uses the data sim that is built in to the car (the one the SOS connection uses). Is that true? If so, it ain’t working for me!

Anyway, maybe someone and put me right.

If I need to continue using my MiFi unit, could someone tell me how to get a permanent live in the glove compartment?

Many thanks

Charlie

·
Registered
117 Posts
Car-net and its functions are all done with a built in Sim in the car in a module mounted behind the dials. You don't need to connect to a hotspot for any of the core Car-net functions. When i'm travelling I connect my car to my phone as wireless hotspot (if i'm not using Android Auto) and the symbol at the top of the screen that shows its connected to the Car-net service changes to also show 'WLAN' and you then get traffic updates on the Nav.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That makes sense now. I can see my car online yet it’s in the car park at Gatwick!

So if I use a hotspot for the other services I assume the core services switch to that while it’s there?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. That makes sense now. I can see my car online yet it’s in the car park at Gatwick!

So if I use a hotspot for the other services I assume the core services switch to that while it’s there?
I don't think it does. Car-net, as i'm sure you've read, is the bane of almost every GTE owners existence. Its terribly unreliable and cannot be relied upon to be working when you actually need it. I'd suspect that the built in Module has a German sim-card in it - and as the system works through coded sms's, its like a game of Chinese Whispers. You open the app, it sends a message to Germany, which sends a text to the car, to wait for a reply and then if it responds provides the information to your app. Then has to go through all of that again if you actually want it to do anything. All the time assuming that the car has decent mobile phone coverage which based on how buried the unit is in the car, i don't think it ever really has.

I've mostly given up using Car-net - i set my pre-heat on departure from the car for the following day or journey and occasionally look at the driving data in the app if the system has bothered to update itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts