Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously as with everything, we're waiting for the update. But when we do get Carplay/Android auto will it be wireless?

I can't find a definitive answer but on VW generic page for both: App-Connect | Volkswagen UK is says "Now also wireless for We Connect-ready vehicles." I presume the ID.3 is a "We Connect-ready vehicle"

I hope it is, as on the e-Golf it being wired meant I only used it once or twice as either I didn't have the cable or just couldn't be bothered. But it's it going to connect from my pocket I'll use it much more.

Also since iOS 13, carplay has supported multiple screens. I wonder if that could also be available for directions on the instrument cluster screen? I always found it annoying the e-Golf would turn off the map on the instrument cluster when you switched to carplay.

Don't really expect anyone to have s decent answer, but anyone thinking about mainly using Carplay/Android Auto over the built in stuff on their ID.3?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Can't comment on the ID3, but I have wireless Android Auto on my Passat and frankly it is unreliable. It frequently disconnects, and usually requires you to pull over to fiddle with the car and/or phone to get it working again. I've only used Android Auto for audiobooks, so the worst I get with wireless is that the audiobook stops, but somebody else on this forum (I can't remember who) said that they had similar reliability issues with wireless and the disconnect stops Google Maps navigation. On the other hand, wired Android Auto has been flawless, so I'm sticking with the old trusty cable.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I wonder what wifi/bluetooth the passat has compared to the ID.3? Carplay uses both to keep a more stable connection, where as android auto only uses Wifi.

Just been researching a bit more and it looks like Apple Maps now (if the car maker does it's part) can read the state of charge, energy consumption and a few other bits of info so it can do proper EV routing (e.g. planning charging stops en-route).

How is people's experience of the routing built in? On my e-Golf the map updates failed most of the time and the information on charging locations was a bit rubbish so always relied on Zap-map. I know Apple and Google are pushing for better EV routing so their data is getting much better. It'd be nice taking that last bit of pre-planning out of the EV lifestyle.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,675 Posts
I think the ID.3 should have the wireless option, which makes sense as it has wireless charging.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I think the ID.3 should have the wireless option, which makes sense as it has wireless charging.
A LOT of cars have wireless charging but no wireless Carplay or Android Auto, the latest Zoe being an example.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just bought a carplay2air adaptor for my current Golf. I use carplay much more often now as like Phlashman I rarely used to use it on shorter trips before as I'd have to plug in and then invariably left the phone in the car at the end of the trip.

It's not perfect, takes about 20-30 seconds to auto connect and fast forward, play pause etc has really really short delay compared to plugin. It does mean though every trip now I have waze on the cars screen and my podcasts ready to go.

I hope the ID3 does have it, I'm probably switching the Golf out for one late next year. Wireless charging is similar, I always have my phone in my pocket so I'd never use it. On long trips maybe but that's it.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at those carplay2air dongles. I'd probably think about getting one if ID.3 doesn't have it. Given the slow adoption of Wireless carplay I'm surprise Apple haven't made their own dongle. Amazon have a car product now that is just a dongle.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,675 Posts
A LOT of cars have wireless charging but no wireless Carplay or Android Auto, the latest Zoe being an example.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have read that the ID.3 will have wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. VW have it on other recent models.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have read that the ID.3 will have wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. VW have it on other recent models.
Sure, I just don't want people being disappointed thinking other cars that have wireless charging also have wireless connectivity. It still isn't very common yet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had wireless CarPlay in a loan T-Roc, worked absolutely fine for me. It did thump the battery on an iPhone 7 though. Wireless AA and CarPlay will be fine but your phone has to support wireless charging otherwise you may as well just plug it in.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had wireless CarPlay in a loan T-Roc, worked absolutely fine for me. It did thump the battery on an iPhone 7 though. Wireless AA and CarPlay will be fine but your phone has to support wireless charging otherwise you may as well just plug it in.
Battery life doesn't worry me that much, I normally end the day on 80%+. But for longer trips I'll definitely get it plugged in.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite 2020
241 Posts
Not many cars have wireless carplay. Seems mostly very top end models. My last car was a new a-class. The model was releases in 2018 and advertised as having wireless carplay *coming soon. Its nearly 2021 and i think they have actually said they have dropped the idea now.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not many cars have wireless carplay. Seems mostly very top end models. My last car was a new a-class. The model was releases in 2018 and advertised as having wireless carplay *coming soon. Its nearly 2021 and i think they have actually said they have dropped the idea now.
This kind of feels like the reason people use Carplay/AA. Car makers are just never going to be as fast as developing new apps and keeping them up to date as phone makers/app developers.

·
Registered
ID3 Pro Performance Business
38 Posts
Hi mate, not sure if you've had the answer to this elsewhere yet but I put my order In over the weekend for the ID3 and the guy at the dealership said that all new VWs will include wireless CarPlay going forward and it will be standard on all models of the ID3 from the January update.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
302 Posts
The ID.3 manual specifically mentions wireless or wired for both Apple and Android.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
I thought I would add this to a relevant thread, mostly for @loggamat

I plugged my phone in yesterday evening for the first time and switched to Android Auto to test Google maps.

The directions come up on the screen in front of the driver in the same style as they do with the inbuilt maps.

The ID light didn't flash up at all, but I haven't tried the inbuilt maps since the update so not sure how it works on the 2.0 software. It only directed me at certain junctions on the original software, on the dual carriageway I haven't seen it, nor at roundabouts. I'll test the standard maps today and see what I get.

Anyone has easy instructions for how to get Andriod Auto to work wirelessly?
I could read the manual I guess, but I have better things to do. I need to loo up the appropriate page but if I get it out of the car I will sit and read it and still not find out how to connect my phone!
At some point I will work it out, or maybe my phone is too old to support it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I thought I would add this to a relevant thread, mostly for @loggamat

I plugged my phone in yesterday evening for the first time and switched to Android Auto to test Google maps.

The directions come up on the screen in front of the driver in the same style as they do with the inbuilt maps.

The ID light didn't flash up at all, but I haven't tried the inbuilt maps since the update so not sure how it works on the 2.0 software. It only directed me at certain junctions on the original software, on the dual carriageway I haven't seen it, nor at roundabouts. I'll test the standard maps today and see what I get.

Anyone has easy instructions for how to get Andriod Auto to work wirelessly?
I could read the manual I guess, but I have better things to do. I need to loo up the appropriate page but if I get it out of the car I will sit and read it and still not find out how to connect my phone!
At some point I will work it out, or maybe my phone is too old to support it.
Thanks mate! That’s really cool that VW integrated it so well. Really hope it works for Apple CarPlay as well, and also for the ID light. I guess if it can parse the navigation info from the phone well enough to display it using the VW graphics on the driver’s display, it stands to reason it should be able to understand it well enough for the ID light as well. So even if the ID light doesn’t work yet, it sounds like it could do at some point in a future software update.

Nice one VW! For all the complaints about software bugs (which I admit aren’t ideal!), you have to say they’ve at least tried to do some cool things with the software.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, yeah hoping Carplay can do that too, it was always a niggle for me on the e-Golf as I really like have the map between the dials. Is it in the same format as the built in satnav instructions? As I'd prefer an actual map over the diagram.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts