Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my ID3 yesterday. The salesman rather sheepishly told me when I was sat in the car that they could get the CarPlay to function even though it is in the system and works in other identical cars, The symptoms are:

I connect usb from car to phone
Prompt appears offering CarPlay on car ice screen
Phone offers wireless and usb or just usb.
The pairing completes but then after the spinning wait circle for 30 secs or so the The car shows a “Sorry, can’t connect” message and connection fails (screenshot attached)
Symptoms are identical whether wired or wireless connection and with multiple different phones. I spent hours resetting and trying different cables, just wireless pairing - none work.
Tried factory reset via the menu; just the same

I searched but can’t see anybody with the same problem. It doesn’t seem to be a firmware issue from what I can see so I wonder if perhaps a hard reset or magic button combo will reboot the system fully and maybe allow CarPlay to work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,686 Posts
If you you have 2.0 aka 0783 then you might have a failed update which leaves CarPlay not working. I’ve read about it a few times. Hopefully the update to 2.1 fixes it.

·
Registered
VW ID3
7 Posts
Hi. Have similar problems on 2.1 update with Huawei and Samsung phones. Apple Car Play works fine. Getting error message 11 on phone.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,686 Posts
Hi. Have similar problems on 2.1 update with Huawei and Samsung phones. Apple Car Play works fine. Getting error message 11 on phone.
I assumed the OP was talking specifically about Apple CarPlay. I've read that quite a few people on Android are struggling to get Android Auto to work. It could just be a permissions thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up my ID3 yesterday. The salesman rather sheepishly told me when I was sat in the car that they could get the CarPlay to function even though it is in the system and works in other identical cars, The symptoms are:

I connect usb from car to phone
Prompt appears offering CarPlay on car ice screen
Phone offers wireless and usb or just usb.
The pairing completes but then after the spinning wait circle for 30 secs or so the The car shows a “Sorry, can’t connect” message and connection fails (screenshot attached)
Symptoms are identical whether wired or wireless connection and with multiple different phones. I spent hours resetting and trying different cables, just wireless pairing - none work.
Tried factory reset via the menu; just the same

I searched but can’t see anybody with the same problem. It doesn’t seem to be a firmware issue from what I can see so I wonder if perhaps a hard reset or magic button combo will reboot the system fully and maybe allow CarPlay to work?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 142286
I have this exact same issue. Doesn’t matterwhat iPhone I use. I haven’t tried an android device yet.

·
Registered
VW ID3
7 Posts
I assumed the OP was talking specifically about Apple CarPlay. I've read that quite a few people on Android are struggling to get Android Auto to work. It could just be a permissions thing.
Yes I think it is permission related but can't figure out how or where.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
86 Posts
I just got the 2.1 update (from 0564), and enabling Car Play was as simple as: enter vehicle and sit, see pop up appear on iphone asking do you want to allow Car Play on "My VW 6xxx" (my VIN), click allow, and that was it. I am running iOS 14.4.1 on an (old) iphone 7. I also plugged in via USB ( to charge) and that also works.
If updating the iphone to the latest release does not fix it, then it has to be the car :-(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got the 2.1 update (from 0564), and enabling Car Play was as simple as: enter vehicle and sit, see pop up appear on iphone asking do you want to allow Car Play on "My VW 6xxx" (my VIN), click allow, and that was it. I am running iOS 14.4.1 on an (old) iphone 7. I also plugged in via USB ( to charge) and that also works.
If updating the iphone to the latest release does not fix it, then it has to be the car :-(
This is what it was like on the test car I drove on 2.0. Not so much on my car though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this exact issue in 2.0 software. As soon as I picked up the car from its 2.1 update, CarPlay worked first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my id3 updated from 0564 to 2.1 by Vw on Monday.

No hint of Carplay being available before or after the update in my car.

Back to Vw, and seems that there is a “yet to be released” fix. They will be in touch when it is released.

Am able to play music via bluetooth, but Carplay is nowhere to be seen yet.

I did quite a bit of research and came up with nothing prior to taking it back to Vw post update.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Had my id3 updated from 0564 to 2.1 by Vw on Monday.

No hint of Carplay being available before or after the update in my car.

Back to Vw, and seems that there is a “yet to be released” fix. They will be in touch when it is released.

Am able to play music via bluetooth, but Carplay is nowhere to be seen yet.

I did quite a bit of research and came up with nothing prior to taking it back to Vw post update.
You have gone through the setup on the ‘App Connect’ icon haven’t you? You won’t see CarPlay until you’ve done that first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have gone through the setup on the ‘App Connect’ icon haven’t you? You won’t see CarPlay until you’ve done that first.
Have just looked. There is no App Connect icon, well not in my ID3 anyway.

I’m assuming you mean the car and not the phone.

Its a lease, handed over by a 12 year old from BCA. Never seen Carplay :cautious:

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts

Its a lease, handed over by a 12 year old from BCA. Never seen Carplay :cautious:
Yes, on the car main screen, the one with all the icons?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
311 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you scrolled the main icons up and down on the screen?

I only ask as there are some who didn't know they could, and App-Connect was off the bottom of the screen...

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no icon, and i’m aware it can scroll down.

i’m comparing apples with oranges, but my other car is a seat and as soon as i plugged my phone in, it set Carplay up.

I have raised the issue with Vw Customer Services in the hope that somehow this turns it from an open-ended “we’ll deploy the fix when it becomes available” to something a bit more positive.

The Vw ID techs couldnt find it on my car, so i promise it really isnt there.

Posting here for others with the same issue,so its searchable. I’ll update if/when and how it got resolved.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
311 Posts
There is no icon, and i’m aware it can scroll down.

i’m comparing apples with oranges, but my other car is a seat and as soon as i plugged my phone in, it set Carplay up.

I have raised the issue with Vw Customer Services in the hope that somehow this turns it from an open-ended “we’ll deploy the fix when it becomes available” to something a bit more positive.

The Vw ID techs couldnt find it on my car, so i promise it really isnt there.

Posting here for others with the same issue,so its searchable. I’ll update if/when and how it got resolved.
You're not the first person who has checked and it's just not there - sounds to me like an incomplete update and a trip to the dealer workshop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update from my side re no Carplay.

I got in touch with Vw Customer Services as my “fix” via the dealers seemed a bit open-ended (“there is a technical bulletin regarding the absence of Carplay - once Vw provide a fix, we can then deploy it”).

Vw CS say there is no record of my car returning to the dealers re the Carplay issue :(

They want it to go back, which it is now scheduled to do in mid-August. Vw CS will then liase direct with the dealer on that day, and if needed, involve the techs within Vw.

Not holding my breath ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts