Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after messing around with all sorts of configurations of playing music, I finally got around to putting my music on my iPhone and trying it through CarPlay interface together with Waze. I thought this may be the best solution to music and Nav.

Is it flaky or is it me?

The music player works until it decides to stop playing the playlist I’ve selected and revert to random music tracks. On at least one occasion, the whole thing has just frozen resolved only by pulling the usb cable out and plugging back in. On one occasion, the steering wheel control to change tracks has just stopped responding. Default settings on the HU seem to have changed as though there’s been a reboot following a hang.

Bluetooth music interface is rubbish quality so not an option from phone.

Waze is okay until screen alerts won’t dismiss off screen which has happened on quite a few occasions now. On one occasion, all navigation has just ceased half way to a destination again resolved only by pulling the plug.

Everyone says Waze is amazing but I have to say, unless it works consistently it’s useless. Plus, who the hell came up with the idea of pothole alerts which fire off every 10 yards. There’s no way of stopping them without disabling all hazard warnings which make it unusable.

Anyone else having better luck with it than me?

Iphone XR in perfect working order !

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only gave CarPlay a quick try after picking up the car last month. I have not tried in the real world and I don't use Waze. However there is software update available (see 2020 Map & Software on this forum). This certainly updates the internal navigation features but there seems to be no information on any other features or bug fixes. Doing the upgrade might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I had similar issues with Android Auto, apparently it's something to do with the quality of the cable, anything less than excellent it just doesn't work.
Other users say that Ankar cables are the best for a trouble free use but I never tried them.
If you're just after playing your music I would just get a memory stick and plug it to the car system. easier to get a decent sound out of it and when you want to change the songs just take the stick with you.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had similar issues with Android Auto, apparently it's something to do with the quality of the cable, anything less than excellent it just doesn't work.
Other users say that Ankar cables are the best for a trouble free use but I never tried them.
If you're just after playing your music I would just get a memory stick and plug it to the car system. easier to get a decent sound out of it and when you want to change the songs just take the stick with you.
Only trouble with USB is I’ve got a shedload of music and prefer to listen to playlists. HU doesn’t seem to know what a playlist is which is naff really for 2020. I’ll try a new cable maybe though (y)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only gave CarPlay a quick try after picking up the car last month. I have not tried in the real world and I don't use Waze. However there is software update available (see 2020 Map & Software on this forum). This certainly updates the internal navigation features but there seems to be no information on any other features or bug fixes. Doing the upgrade might be worth a try.
I wouldn‘t do the update myself as I don’t want to risk bricking anything. I had a new Carplay feature this morning though. Plug it in and the heated rear window refused to work. Disconnected and restarted and it worked again :unsure:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Try the original cable that came with your phone and see of that helps. I've tried a few cables as I was getting lots of disconnects and the cable that carne with my phone works consistently as does the cable that came with my Bluetooth headphones. My phone is about 3 years old so the cable has seen plenty of use but still works. Brand new, but not cheap, cables from amazon don't work as well.
My wife has the same with her iPhone.

I don't use Waze for the amount of alerts it pops up with, but Google maps is very much better.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Only trouble with USB is I’ve got a shedload of music and prefer to listen to playlists. HU doesn’t seem to know what a playlist is which is naff really for 2020. I’ll try a new cable maybe though (y)
Don't be daft!!!
Of course I know what a playlist is :p I have loads of them, all filled up in a plastic folder so dust doesn't get into it :)

I don't know what crap audio apps you have but, I use Winamp for android and bluetooth it to the car and it works to perfection. And guess what? I can even make my own playlists and listen to online radio :cool: :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't be daft!!!
Of course I know what a playlist is :p I have loads of them, all filled up in a plastic folder so dust doesn't get into it :)

I don't know what crap audio apps you have but, I use Winamp for android and bluetooth it to the car and it works to perfection. And guess what? I can even make my own playlists and listen to online radio :cool: :D
Just using iPhone music app via Bluetooth. Sound quality and level is rubbish. I tried using Spotify via carplay too. Similar problems, hanging, not responding to steering wheel controls etc.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I
HAHAHAHA, some people call me Hu :ROFLMAO: but in my case not even the head is of any use other than keeping ears apart :p
I reckon that’s how WW1 actually started :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: husoi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts