Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new MY19 Leaf a couple of days now and am having problems with CarPlay connecting and dropping out. I have tried it with several different cables and also with my wife’s iPhone 6S as well as my iPhone SE. Sometimes when I plug in it connects other times not. In the latter case the a menu shows iPod connected and the music plays ok but the Apple CarPly icon is greyed out. If CarPlay does connect it can drop out and the music stops playing. If I say “Hey Siri, play music” it starts playing again. My bigges5 issue is that Use Apple Maps which usually stops working just as I need it to tell me where to go.

Just in case anyone suggests it I have cleaned out all the fluff from inside the lightning port.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,936 Posts
Are all the cables you've tried genuine apple lightening cables?

Check how often the information centre/EV update stuff is running. It might be called something different in your car but if it drops out every so often it can be because the head unit is off doing something else and it's too weedy to do it all at once. I've set mine to do that on power on only so that it isn't checking and updating at other times.

If you use bluetooth for music instead does it stay connected?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried several cables including genuine Apple but currently none will allow Carplay. The car recognises the phone as a usb connection “iPod”. I haven’t tried playing music via Bluetooth as I have had my phone connected via usb. When I was driving yesterday I had managed to start CarPlay and played my music through it. When the music stopped I just asked Siri to play music and don’t know whether it went to Bluetooth or the USB connection - it just started playing. I just did an experiment with the USB cable plugged in and Bluetooth on but radio playing; I asked Siri to play music and it went to the USB connection.

The update setting was at “None” so I have reset it to ”power on only” as suggested.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,936 Posts
IPod would suggest it's not recognising it as a CarPlay device. I thought it showed up as something else. I'm assuming there is a CarPlay setting screen somewhere. What shows up in there when it's plugged in? I don't use CarPlay so I'm probably completely the wrong person to be sticking their nose in...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have spent the afternoon with 4different cables (2Apple, one Sandstrom and one cheap one) trying to get my iPhone SE to connect via CarPlay with no joy. I have looked at all the stuff on the internet about restarting my phone and tried stuff to no avail.

My wife arrived home a few minutes ago and her 6S connected via CarPlay on all 4 cables. I can’t guarantee it won’t drop the connection as it did yesterday (I think it was a third party cable in use at the time it did that) but at least we seem to have one phone working ftb. I don’t know what’s up with my SE but I think the phone is the main problem. I have seen online that there have been a lot of CarPlay issues with iOS 13.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
178 Posts
Are you sure you have not inadvertently disallowed CarPlay on your phone at some point?

Try going into Settings -> General -> CarPlay and click on the car then "Forget this car" then connecting again. Also try a reboot of your phone if you've not already.

Lastly - check your lightning port on your phone for any lint as that could make for a poor connection - particularly if you don't feel the connector kind of snapping into place. I've often had to use something like a cocktail stick in my dock port to remove pocket lint.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you have not inadvertently disallowed CarPlay on your phone at some point?

Try going into Settings -> General -> CarPlay and click on the car then "Forget this car" then connecting again. Also try a reboot of your phone if you've not already.

Lastly - check your lightning port on your phone for any lint as that could make for a poor connection - particularly if you don't feel the connector kind of snapping into place. I've often had to use something like a cocktail stick in my dock port to remove pocket lint.
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no CarPlay option in Settings-> General on my phone unfortunately. Mine is an SE. I did have it working on Monday and Tuesday but it kept dropping out.

I did try a reboot of the phone yesterday but no joy. I have also cleaned out the lightning port - see post#1. Since then I have not seen CarPlay at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no CarPlay option in Settings-> General on my phone unfortunately. Mine is an SE. I did have it working on Monday and Tuesday but it kept dropping out.

I did try a reboot of the phone yesterday but no joy. I have also cleaned out the lightning port - see post#1. Since then I have not seen CarPlay at all.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
178 Posts
Sorry missed the lint cleaning in your first post :(

Strange that the CarPlay settings does not show - I thought that always did. How about if you search in Settings for CarPlay? There should be a CarPlay section as that's how you can re-organize the app layout.

A tid-bit on the Apple site for CarPlay is that Siri must be enabled. Have you adjusted this at all? Also are you on the latest iOS 13.3.1 - which the SE should support?

If it stopped working altogether after cleaning the port, I wonder if one of the data pins in your lightning port has got damaged? Could rule this out by using a lightning cable to plug into your computer with iTunes and ensure it picks the phone up / synchronizes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again. I searched for CarPlay in settings and it took me to the general page but it still isn’t there unlike my wife’s 6S where it is. (I thought the two phones were exactly the same internally). See photo

Odd that as I am pretty sure I have in the past seen on my phone the next screen which appears on the 6S when you click on CarPlay.

Yes I am beginning to wonder if I cleaned my lightning port a bit too thoroughly. I can’t remember when I last synced or backed up my phone as having an iPad I hardly ever need to use the PC. Worth a try though. My SE is on 13.3.1.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
17 Posts
My iphone se went strange during the initial setup as well, i think it was because i'd not enable siri as someone mentioned above. I enabled siri on the phone, and then had to delete it from in the car's settings and after that it connected pretty much ok.

I also had to tweak the allow connection via usb when locked or something similar in the phones settings. Otherwise sometimes the phone worked on connection and others, when it was locked, it wouldn't.

That said I'm only using my old iphone because Android Auto crashes all the time, using the same cable that i used successfully on three other android auto head units!!

I like the driving experience of the car, but the head unit and online services are a pile of crap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem with Carplay was in my phone, not the car. Carplay was not showing as an option in settings. I eventually had to reset all settings and then it reappeared. It has connected to the car ok so fingers crossed now.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks again. I searched for CarPlay in settings and it took me to the general page but it still isn’t there unlike my wife’s 6S where it is. (I thought the two phones were exactly the same internally). See photo View attachment 128495
Odd that as I am pretty sure I have in the past seen on my phone the next screen which appears on the 6S when you click on CarPlay.

Yes I am beginning to wonder if I cleaned my lightning port a bit too thoroughly. I can’t remember when I last synced or backed up my phone as having an iPad I hardly ever need to use the PC. Worth a try though. My SE is on 13.3.1.

I have an iPhone SE as well and I use apple carplay regularly with out any issues.

If "Carplay" doesn't come up on the "GENERAL" tab then you need to go to "SETTINGS" - "SIRI & SEARCH" and activate "PRESS HOME FOR SIRI"

The go back to the GENERAL tab and CARPLAY should be there to pair with the LEAF

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have an iPhone SE as well and I use apple carplay regularly with out any issues.

If "Carplay" doesn't come up on the "GENERAL" tab then you need to go to "SETTINGS" - "SIRI & SEARCH" and activate "PRESS HOME FOR SIRI"

The go back to the GENERAL tab and CARPLAY should be there to pair with the LEAF
I did have Siri active with all three Siri options ticked. I switched off Siri and reclicked the options both with and without ”listen for Siri” but CarPlay wouldn’t reappear on the settings-> General screen. It should have done but unfortunately didn’t hence I ended up resetting all settings.

I had absolutely no problems with CarPlay from my SE on the last MY19 Leaf I had for 500 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts