Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I knew recently that I'm going to be a dad for the first time and it's going to be twins! :)
When I "bought" my Leaf last year I wasn't planning any kids and I went for a 3 year PCP contract, which only ends at the beginning of 2019.

I am still absolutely happy with my 30Kwh as always, but now, with my future two kids, I'm starting to think that it might be a bit too small if, by any chance, I need to take another passenger in the car, my other half, the babies, their car seats and the double buggy which I've already bought a couple of days ago and it doesn't seem to fit in the car without pushing down the back seats!! :D
So... I might have a problem here...

Does anyone have any experience with twins and a Nissan Leaf?
Cheers!! :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats.

You'll find a way to make it work.

The space in the back will always be an issue, it is with my 4 and 6 year old with their seats. You can just about squeeze a 'little 'un' between the seats when needed.

As for the buggy, there will be one that fits, you just need to find it.

When our first came along we had a micra and managed to get a fairly big pushchair in with a bit of practice. Obviously the double buggy will be bigger, but so will the Leaf boot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
May be worth looking at the possibility of removing the boot trim - you might be surprised how much space it generates - far too much consideration for aesthetics over practicality in most boot designs. You could ask a local car audio place to fabricate some protective sections for more delicate electronics that are no doubt hidden away behind the panels.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
we have an agos my baby double buggy, remove the wheels and it fits.
Luckly our oldest walks so its not an issue.
Also we have an mothercare XSS(I bought it to go on a once in a life time trip to Dubai thinking it would be sold on return..Kept it instead, best stroller ever!)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't be one of those people who has a tiny baby or two and suddenly thinks they need a massive SUV!

You'll be fine in the Leaf with 2 car seats in the back. Since the kids won't reach the floor for quite a while, you also have the space behind the front seats to use. I've had a double buggy in the Leaf boot without too much trouble, you might need to take a wheel or two off but they are usually quick release.

With 2 car seats in, you can fit a 'normal'-sized adult in between but they won't want to stay there for a long journey.

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
Following with interest as a new baby will be joining our ten month old come October :)

FYI we picked an Egg stroller, as it works in single or tandem mode and all fits in the Leaf boot.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Following with interest as a new baby will be joining our ten month old come October :)

FYI we picked an Egg stroller, as it works in single or tandem mode and all fits in the Leaf boot.
Most double buggies in a Zoe boot work fine, I guess you could find some that don't but a different buggy is cheaper than a new car and a leaf boot is meant to be bigger than a zoe.

Rear seat wise you will be fine but choose your car seat wisely if you anticipate having a third.

We have rotating car seats which make lifting heavy toddlers in easy, but also eat in to the middle seat space.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any experience with twins and a Nissan Leaf?
Cheers!! :)
Congratulations.

I'm going to go against the grain here - you will be able to get a double buggy in the Leaf somehow, but finding one which fits will be awkward, and it will forever be a pain in the arse trying to get it in as well as your shopping/overnight stuff/etc etc. If the mother is smaller, shorter, and less strong than you then she will find it even more difficult. She will come to hate fannying around with awkward baggage while the children scream in the back seat and/or while the precious-and-desperately-short time before they start screaming is consumed. You are likely to be sleep-deprived, clumsy, awkward and short-tempered once the babies arrive, and a car that's small and awkward will frustrate you.

If you can afford it, life would be much easier with a bigger car. Higher up, and taller, starts to be a godsend when they get larger. You will have to lift them into seats for some years yet, without banging their heads on the door surround, and with a large 2-year-old this is MUCH easier with a vehicle that is higher up, and taller. We went from a Corsa to a Skoda Roomster (sadly no longer manufactured) and the difference in hassle when packing up kids & their stuff is like that between night and day.

If you do long journeys, you don't want to be having them lengthened and made less convenient by stopping to charge, and range anxiety.

They will quickly trash the interior with drinks, food, mud, and carelessness unless you are fetishistic about never ever letting them eat or drink in the car (which is itself a big inconvenience) and cleanliness. If you do decide to keep the Leaf, on PCP, you should consider good quality seat covers and something which completely covers/protects every surface (carpets, back of front seats - and be careful about the doors getting trashed) before the babies arrive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all the comments.

For better or for worse that's the car I have. It will be a bit of a squeeze but it will have to do since I have no other choice. I'm sure it will be all right though.

Only in 2019, when the PCP is over, I will be able to re-think what the options are, but one thing is for sure: I won't go back to ICE ever again :)
I'll update this thread in the near future.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
I fit 2 car seats and a buggy in my leaf. The parcel shelf can be folded down behind the back seats to make extra room.
I just got rid of the parcel shelfs in our Leafs. You can't really see in the back because of the tinted glass, and they just get in the way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts