Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just double checking if anyone has up to date information on how to carry bikes on an EV. I'm preparing to by an MG but am shocked to find that they along with all other makers (barring Tesla I think) do not approve a towbar type carrier. We have three bikes and sometimes I swap one for an ebike. Going on the roof is not an option.
Could be one of my deciding points of not getting an EV. Seems daft.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
Jaguar iPace and eTron have a tow bar option I think.

Failing that you can get suction rear carriers, but I don't know how good they are. Probably only for light loads.

Now the other option is you fit a tow bar to your EV and tell your insurance company. But that suggestion is bound to start a fight...

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Jaguar iPace and eTron have a tow bar option I think.

Failing that you can get suction rear carriers, but I don't know how good they are. Probably only for light loads.

Now the other option is you fit a tow bar to your EV and tell your insurance company. But that suggestion is bound to start a fight...
Lots of posts on this forum with views that fitment of a towbar itself is perfectly legal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Based on being insurance companies? Unauthorised mods, not homologated, because because..?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,717 Posts
Based on being insurance companies? Unauthorised mods, not homologated, because because..?
What if you tell them about it and they say it’s fine?

Insurance companies insure cars with non homologated mods all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on the fact that they'd weedle out of anything if they can and if the manufacturer says they don't supply a towbar...
From MG dealer...
"I have had a response now, re the Tow Bar and it is that MG don’t provide a tow bar for ZS EV for the simple reason it has no towing capacity. The car has not been homologated for this (The maker of the vehicle has declared that your vehicle is not approved (or homologated) for towing. ... (1) This regulation applies to every light passenger vehicle first used on or after August 1st 1998 in respect of which an EC certificate of conformity has effect).

Whilst I understand you require one for a Bike carrier, the above regulation is there to prevent from, if a tow bar was fitted, it would give people the option to simply tow also, which would invalidate any warranties etc."
As I understand the Ice version of MG does have a towbar option I'd have thought one would fit the EV as they are based on the same.
Whether purely fitting the towbar would invalidate warranty I will seek further advice.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Based on the fact that they'd weedle out of anything if they can and if the manufacturer says they don't supply a towbar...
From MG dealer...
"I have had a response now, re the Tow Bar and it is that MG don’t provide a tow bar for ZS EV for the simple reason it has no towing capacity. The car has not been homologated for this (The maker of the vehicle has declared that your vehicle is not approved (or homologated) for towing. ... (1) This regulation applies to every light passenger vehicle first used on or after August 1st 1998 in respect of which an EC certificate of conformity has effect).

Whilst I understand you require one for a Bike carrier, the above regulation is there to prevent from, if a tow bar was fitted, it would give people the option to simply tow also, which would invalidate any warranties etc."
As I understand the Ice version of MG does have a towbar option I'd have thought one would fit the EV as they are based on the same.
Whether purely fitting the towbar would invalidate warranty I will seek further advice.
OK, don't. Problem solved

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had I gone through with my MG order I’d have just tried to fit the ICE towbar. Then tell my insurance company that I have one fitted.

The lack of homologation for towing is only a problem if you’re actually going to tow something. Bikes on a carrier isn’t towing.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Had I gone through with my MG order I’d have just tried to fit the ICE towbar. Then tell my insurance company that I have one fitted.

The lack of homologation for towing is only a problem if you’re actually going to tow something. Bikes on a carrier isn’t towing.
Well done that man.

Obviously is not ruled by ignorance.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
From MG dealer...

Stepping over the needlessly antagonistic posts for a minute, the answer to the question ‘can I fit a tow bar to my EV that isn’t homologated for towing if I only use it for a bike rack’ is, ‘it depends’.

The main challenge is finding one that fits your vehicle properly, but as a few BEVs are based on ICE counterparts including the MG, that might not be a problem here.

Second is tell your insurer, they’ll either not bat an eyelid or tell you to go find another insurer.

Then there is the legal position, which is slightly variable in the thickness of the ice, but if you’ve done the first two bits you should be in a good position.

I ended up writing to VOSA who referred me to the DfT asking about the legalities around all this and received a letter stating amongst other things that in principle it was ok as long as the manufacturer could assure you that there were safe mounting points for a tow hitch that would be used for carrying a bicycle rack only.

However, they did caveat if with the following paragraph;

“Please note that this letter contains the views of the Department for Transport and that insofar as this letter provides an interpretation of the law, it is only a court of law that is able to give a legally definitive interpretation.”

People should go into the fitting of a tow hitch on a non type approved vehicle with their eyes open, and be aware that VOSA and Insurance companies are not the authorities around this.

The link to the post with the full letter is here; Tow bar on Leaf to carry bike

·
Registered
189 Posts

Worth contacting them for fitment advice, since the MG is a fairly new model. I asked my insurance and they said tow bars are not classed as modifications.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Is a 'tow bar' not fitted with any attachment for towing actually a tow bar?
Legally speaking?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts