Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just logged into You+ Nissan Carwings portal to be advised that my 3 years of inclusive CarWings Subscription has come to an end but they have "graced" me with another 12 months free....Cant find anything on the web about them charging for this service nor do I think they would want to as it would discourage the mountains of free usage data they receive from all their cars worldwide!
Anyone know anything further?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's in the terms and conditions. I'd be surprised if they do actually start charging anytime soon, as you say it is good information for them. Although chances are they could still get the telematics for their use even if they stop you using remote charge / heat and access to the telematics for you as the consumer.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Can you not select whatever the opposite of ok is* on the annoying start up screen in the Leaf to deny Nissan access to your car's telematics ?

* can't remember the other option, off the top of my head, although I've seen that screen and both options every single time I've ever switched my Leaf on.
Wish there was a way of skipping that screen by default.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Interesting thread. I've recently wondered how manufacturers deal with data collection given it's real world 'value' and if anyone has requested a copy of the information held on them. People rarely read let alone understand the T&Cs when signing up for such services (tin foil hat time :) ).

Maybe we should be charging them rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well as somebody who works in a field that collects mobile data I can state they must not collect this data without express consent and if you loose access to it they would have to delete it on request from the car's owner. As it collects gps positioning data I think they should have to permanently disable the data sending.

Being asked every time you start the car is very daft IMO

·
Registered
952 Posts
What they should do and what they actually do in this brave new world may be dictated by the local jurisdiction of where the data is held (or backed up). I'd be interested if anyone has actually queried a copy of their telematics to see what is held or asked for it to be deleted after selling on a vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What they should do and what they actually do in this brave new world may be dictated by the local jurisdiction of where the data is held (or backed up). I'd be interested if anyone has actually queried a copy of their telematics to see what is held or asked for it to be deleted after selling on a vehicle.
For most jurisdictions it's not where the data is held it is the nationality of the person on whom the data is held. Russia is a prime example all data on Russian Citizens must be held in Russia - Not all states are so draconian but it does cause challenges for globally operating companies.
In the case of Nissan I suspect the servers are in Japan but I dont know the full laws on EU data being held in Japan myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a setting which will turn on the consent settings of your carwings. I will get back to you with steps to follow.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,631 Posts
For most jurisdictions it's not where the data is held it is the nationality of the person on whom the data is held. Russia is a prime example all data on Russian Citizens must be held in Russia - Not all states are so draconian but it does cause challenges for globally operating companies.
In the case of Nissan I suspect the servers are in Japan but I dont know the full laws on EU data being held in Japan myself.
I might be wrong, but IIRC if the data is stored by or on behalf of a company trading under a UK registration then the data must be held in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act.

That said, the law would only have jurisdiction against the UK company, not the foriegn company the UK company is trusting with it's customers data. A loss would be down to the UK company vs the foriegn company to sort out, though hopefully the UK company being fined would be an incentive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts