Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The drop in lease prices for the 208 GT Line means I’m now weighing up whether to cancel the order for the wife’s Zoe GT Line that arrives next month and revert back to the Peugeot.

Real world range is what’s really holding me back. The Zoe should easily do over 200 miles in perfect conditions and in tests is doing considerably more than the 208 appears to be doing in not so perfect.

Don’t like the Zoe driving position and we were drawn to the Peugeot initially placing a pre order and cancelling.

It’s whether it’s worth taking a punt on the e-208’s reported poor real world v official given the claims by dealers that it’s a false flag from a faulty GoM.

Is there any truth in the as yet mythical “software update”?”

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a magic software update.

Also, I’ve tried the Peugeots with the small steering wheel and didn’t get on with it. Maybe it’s something you can get used to.

Bear in mind the new Zoe has pretty much the same range as your Tesla now.

Whats the difference in monthly costs between the two?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a magic software update.

Also, I’ve tried the Peugeots with the small steering wheel and didn’t get on with it. Maybe it’s something you can get used to.

Bear in mind the new Zoe has pretty much the same range as your Tesla now.

Whats the difference in monthly costs between the two?
There’s nothing in it cost wise. I agree re the steering wheel.

I think it’s going to come down to a test drive and the insurance cost.

Zoe is bigger inside than the 208. Bootspace and the space left in front once the rear facing baby seat is in the back is important so I think the Renault might win out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The GT can work out cheaper than the GT Line with some lease companies. It did for my e2008. I guess stronger residuals. Former Zoe owners on the French forums appear happy with their switch to an e208. Take a look at the official Peugeot range calculators I posted earlier. Playing with them I managed to get a range of 68 miles in -10C at 130kmh in sport mode. Much, much higher 50kmh, eco mode, 25C no climate. If you do regular long runs or can't charge at home range is crucial.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Zoe is bigger inside than the 208. Bootspace and the space left in front once the rear facing baby seat is in the back is important so I think the Renault might win out.
Overall quality and ride is much improved, even the turn in on corners is great. The 135 motor is great fun and it can actually overtake on a motorway now. I guarantee you will want to stop driving your Tesla if you get the Zoe.

We found the Zoe’s boot fine for kids stuff, including a double buggy when required. Maybe take your buggy to test out the e208 boot to compare?

The wife also likes the slightly higher driving position and has pretty much vetoed anything else.

Also, you need to get it in Red. ;)

·
richi.uk
232 Posts
This is PSA's first mass-market EV platform (the i-MiEV clones don't count). Let's not be surprised that real-world efficiency appears to be worse than a Renault's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Overall quality and ride is much improved, even the turn in on corners is great. The 135 motor is great fun and it can actually overtake on a motorway now. I guarantee you will want to stop driving your Tesla if you get the Zoe.

We found the Zoe’s boot fine for kids stuff, including a double buggy when required. Maybe take your buggy to test out the e208 boot to compare?

The wife also likes the slightly higher driving position and has pretty much vetoed anything else.

Also, you need to get it in Red. ;)
My wife liked the higher driving position of her i3 and i3S so true, that doesn't bother her. That said, she came home yesterday from a lunch with friends an hour's drive from us saying how much she enjoys the 3 Series Touring I bought her as an interim car!

Surprised how easily our huge iCandy All Terrain thing dropped into the boot. The Zoe always looks bigger in real life than it does in snaps.

Insurance quotes are identical for both cars, without reg numbers anyway.

£800 more over the same term for the Peugeot. Less space. Nicer cabin. Aggro factor for test drives, difficult conversations with Renault, re-ordering. Possibility of delays with that order given the damage the Corona uncertainty could cause business, trading routes and movement. Potential changes to grants affecting prices.

Rules of leasing mean it's all about the bottomline. We're sticking with the Renault.

Red? Hers is going to be brown. Within hours of it arriving in white!

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Renault production is pretty good at the moment.

The newcomers seem to make schoolboy errors like running out of a supply of batteries.

If it’s a lease then no problem with a white one I guess.

What was the deal you got, if I may ask?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Renault production is pretty good at the moment.

The newcomers seem to make schoolboy errors like running out of a supply of batteries.

If it’s a lease then no problem with a white one I guess.

What was the deal you got, if I may ask?
2yrs. 12k miles a year. £2,500 initial. £210 x23 months. That’s on the GT Line with Winter Pack.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I was going to say a leaf 62 may be a better option if it didn't have to be lease as they are now appearing at sub £30k prices and already have a good backing and range, added in the chademo Vs CCS issues as well...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to say a leaf 62 may be a better option if it didn't have to be lease as they are now appearing at sub £30k prices and already have a good backing and range, added in the chademo Vs CCS issues as well...
Not for us thanks. The Leaf dash looks really low quality and out of date compared to what’s been out for the last couple of years even from Korea.
Wasn’t impressed by the handling and torque steer in the last 40 I drove.

Suffers worse driving position issues than the Zoe. Seat doesn’t go back far enough for my 6’2 frame and the steering wheel only goes up and down.

I think the boot of the Zoe might actually be slightly larger too.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,115 Posts
Boot of the Zoe is 300 odd litres. Leaf is about 400 odd. Leaf's is definitely bigger. BOSE thing makes it look smaller than it is.

Driving position in the Leaf and Zoe are both compromised. Neither have proper full adjustability.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,241 Posts
(to title ... get a dog?)

I think you need to consider the maturity of the product, too. I suspect the average e208 driver will be back to the dealer as many times as the first gen Zoe drivers were. Consider who is more likely to build a reasonably well screwed together EV, one who has done several already and is eeking out profitability with them now, or one who is a new entrant who's likely been dragged kicking and screaming to the very edge of regulation fines for not doing so.

But go ahead with the e208 if you like, and give us all some 'real world data' on returns to dealer to work with. Do you feel lucky?

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
I lifted the carpets int he boot of my new ZOE this week.

Now what did I find, but two spare trim clips that the factory had left in there for me.

Very well screwed together. ;)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That's the French union counting method ??

Or is it that they know something about how many times things will be taken apart so are wanting to help the dealers out a bit ?

·
Super Moderator
11,844 Posts
With Renault the key is your local dealer. I've found them to be very uneven. Some are good others dreadful

Peugeot EV support ??? I don't know. They are better for ICE in my area.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm a fan of the Zoe, but my wife really doesn't like them, the styling is too rounded for her liking. But she did want a higher driving position, so rather than the 208 she went with the 2008. Lease deal with the 2008 GT was less than a Zoe for her, so apart from the lower range of the Pug it's a better fit. And if the 100+KW chargers ever start to roll out at service stations the shorter range would be somewhat offset by the quicker charge speeds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a good Facebook group of e208 owners that seems to be getting 160-180 miles on average which i would say fine for the time of year. I wouldn't pay to much attention to the demo cars GOM's as they are mainly doing short trips in sport mode and not really giving a true impression of what the cars can achieve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts