Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
You'll lose the same amount when you come to sell it on in a few years, so at best all that you will save is the interest on the "discount" for being Cat S. Against that you'll probably pay more for your insurance and Tesla might not fix any bodywork related issues. At worst there may be hidden damage that has not been fixed but will only become obvious at a later date. Personally I'd avoid buying a car like this from a private individual who you have no comeback against. If the seller were a trader you'd be in a stronger position.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Although it may supercharge now, Tesla have a habit of terminating that ability for insurance write offs down the line according to salvage YouTubers. I’d be interested to see with a European model 3 if they did that would it nerf it’s ability to use a non Tesla DC CCS charger? From what I can gather in the US with Model S it’s blanket due to the unique older charging socket (although maybe I’m wrong on that, but can’t recall seeing anyone try using a chademo connector on one, but that may have applied the video narrative). For a couple of grand more there was a non-Cat S car for sale yesterday and loosing SC capability really hurts the USP of the Model 3, when you could have a second hand e-Niro for less money, with 5 years warranty left on it

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole. It's Cat S which is structural damage. I don't think I'd buy any second hand car knowing it was cat S. Owner is second owner and it's only a 69 plate. Can't be a good sign either.

Keep waiting. A high mileage not crashed one is a better bet.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check the panel gaps and paint quality very carefully😂
How much can you afford to lose? I wouldn't go anywhere near it, but maybe I'm just being risk averse.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although it may supercharge now, Tesla have a habit of terminating that ability for insurance write offs down the line according to salvage YouTubers. I’d be interested to see with a European model 3 if they did that would it nerf it’s ability to use a non Tesla DC CCS charger? From what I can gather in the US with Model S it’s blanket due to the unique older charging socket (although maybe I’m wrong on that, but can’t recall seeing anyone try using a chademo connector on one, but that may have applied the video narrative). For a couple of grand more there was a non-Cat S car for sale yesterday and loosing SC capability really hurts the USP of the Model 3, when you could have a second hand e-Niro for less money, with 5 years warranty left on it
I guess this goes back my question . For few k more you can get non cat S one.
How much is one worth

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds expensive for an cat S, there is one a few grand more on autotrader, it has some more miles on it, but I know which one I would go for...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
4900 miles, 2 owners... alarm bells.

Overpriced given the damage, and it could lose supercharging (and Tesla may refuse to fix other issues). I'd be looking 10k less than that given the risk... which is probably less than the last victim paid for it..

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
As above - you have little to gain and potentially a lot to lose.

I wonder whether the current owner was the person that repaired it? If so, how well qualified is he?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4900 miles, 2 owners... alarm bells.

Overpriced given the damage, and it could lose supercharging (and Tesla may refuse to fix other issues). I'd be looking 10k less than that given the risk... which is probably less than the last victim paid for it..
Guessing the car was hit wrote off by insurance company and bought to fix to be sold on.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This car has been on sale for months. Since at least July last year - I considered it myself before giving my head a wobble.
O, must check that Tesla pricing website that follows pricing .

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you were absolutely convinced of the quality of the repair and intended to the run the car for a very long time it might be worth throwing them a really low-ball offer but otherwise I'd steer clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi....Consider purchasing any average 15 year old vehicle (not an exemplary collectible or something to that effect). On the off chance that it doesn't have a functioning motor, nobody will get it, correct? Regardless of whether some person will sell you the vehicle for $500, yet you need to supplant the motor, the vast majority would prefer to look elsewhere and pay two or three thousand dollars for a functioning vehicle.

prototype pcb

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Car still for sale price reduced some what from what I noticed on autotrader

1 - 16 of 16 Posts