1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think the guy was a bit silly to claim on his insurance twice for a £1000 theft, wasn't he? Even the lost NCD is going to make that a marginal prospect.

·
29,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have no shame, these thieving chavs. I suppose the only way to avoid decent into this sort of thing is to make the expensive parts really heavy.

.... like a 100kWh pack ... ;)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,144 Posts
Are PHEVs more vulnerable to this than ICEs? If so, why?

I had heard that the high ground clearance on SUVs makes it easier to get underneath to take the catalytic converter.

So Outlander would seem favourite. But a Prius!?!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
I did read recently that one such thief was crushed to death by the car they were trying to steal from. Hard to feel any sympathy for such thieving scrotes.

·
29,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did read recently that one such thief was crushed to death by the car they were trying to steal from. Hard to feel any sympathy for such thieving scrotes.
Don't be so heartless. They are someone's son, so there will be some chav mother somewhere grieving for the loss of income from her feckless brood.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Manufacturers should be doing much much more for vehicle security. It might mean changing the layout design significantly but they should be taking responsibility for this type of security requirement. It exactly the same story with motorbike thefts, the manufacturers are just blindly doing what they've always done and not adapting.

The poor owner gets all the blame.., park there, install this and that.. £££ etc etc...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The police have notified the local rag about this type latest crime by the “Pond Life”,
They appear to targeting vehicles with a higher ground clearance.
Imagine starting up your vehicle at about 7.00am in the morning, to find your cat has been stolen !.
The sudden noise would be enough to frighten you out of your skin almost !.
I was watching a video about one of these cat recycling centres only the other night.
Depending on the weight of the internal components of these units, and the way they are presented ( no outer metal ) the tile inside can be worth anything from £80 and more !.
“There’s your problem lady”.
Pond life steeling them and then selling them on to satisfy their addictions I have no doubt !.
Back in the day, it was radio theft, then alloy wheels, now cats !.
One member reported a VW GTE he had bought at auction, that had the complete front end of the car stolen.
Head lights, grill, bumper cover etc etc.
Stolen to order and intended for another car that had clearly been involved in a front end collision that was NOT being reported to the insurance company !.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Manufacturers should be doing much much more for vehicle security. It might mean changing the layout design significantly but they should be taking responsibility for this type of security requirement. It exactly the same story with motorbike thefts, the manufacturers are just blindly doing what they've always done and not adapting.

The poor owner gets all the blame.., park there, install this and that.. £££ etc etc...
yep, just like keyless vehicle thefts are pretty much fixable with a tiny cheap amendment to the key (essentially put it to sleep after no movement for a minute or two), but I think only Daimler so far has done this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The police have notified the local rag about this type latest crime by the “Pond Life”,
They appear to targeting vehicles with a higher ground clearance.
Imagine starting up your vehicle at about 7.00am in the morning, to find your cat has been stolen !.
The sudden noise would be enough to frighten you out of your skin almost !.
I was watching a video about one of these cat recycling centres only the other night.
Depending on the weight of the internal components of these units, and the way they are presented ( no outer metal ) the tile inside can be worth anything from £80 and more !.
“There’s your problem lady”.
Pond life steeling them and then selling them on to satisfy their addictions I have no doubt !.
Back in the day, it was radio theft, then alloy wheels, now cats !.
One member reported a VW GTE he had bought at auction, that had the complete front end of the car stolen.
Head lights, grill, bumper cover etc etc.
Stolen to order and intended for another car that had clearly been involved in a front end collision that was NOT being reported to the insurance company !.
It is sophisticated and hard to believe that there an element of rogue traders facilitating this. There is an element of skill and knowledge to take these things apart, particularly if you are going to reuse them on another vehicle.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
It is sophisticated and hard to believe that there an element of rogue traders facilitating this. There is an element of skill and knowledge to take these things apart, particularly if you are going to reuse them on another vehicle.
It’s just a few bolts and a hammer.

They are most likely trading them for scrap metal value.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
T
There is NO intension of using them again.
They are cutting them open to get at the tile inside the cat.
These tiles are stacked onto pallets and then ship abroad.
The tiles are smelted down and the expensive materials extracted from them for reusing.
There are videos on You Tube featuring large re-cycling centres braking down this cats.
A shopping ? full of these tiles is worth a huge amount of cash ?.
Have you ever had your cat replaced, I guess not.
When you get the bill, you better be sitting down at the time !.
For what looks like a small exhaust silencer, that could set you back about £1500.00 plus labour.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts