Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this. Just got an updated quote for the wife's Zoe 50 GT Line arriving next month. As we probably all realise by now, sorting insurance out a couple of weeks before delivery is cheaper than doing it any later than this.

On Confused.com and Go Compare (haven't checked the comparison or direct insurance sites yet) there are two options for each Zoe 50 trim level. In our case one is for "Zoe 135 GT Line" and the other for "Zoe i 135 GT Line".

Just out interest I edited the quote selecting the "i" option, which made the quote over a hundred quid more expensive. Also, the cheapest insurer on my non "I" quote, Swinton wouldn't quote for the "I" version.

Technically, because there was never going to be a battery lease option as confirmed in the very first Renault UK press release, all Zoe 50s are battery included. So with that being the case, I'm minded to pick the non "I" cheaper option from the dropdown. That said, the car does include a battery.

It'll be interesting to see what the reaction is from the insurers when I inevitably have to call them to sort this out in the coming couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
337 Posts
I’d choose the cheapest option. IMHO calling to discuss would open a whole can of worms which will, if insurance practice goes to form, undoubtedly end up costing you more.?

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d choose the cheapest option. IMHO calling to discuss would open a whole can of worms which will, if insurance practice goes to form, undoubtedly end up costing you more.?
Another practice by insurers though is for them to decide you’re not in fact insured because of some wrong selection or failure to declare something they see as a material difference. I don’t want to find that out when I’m trying to claim.

Incidentally, I got a quote for the first i3 we had 4 years ago 2 weeks before registration and delivery. When I called Admiral to add the registration number the day before delivery they insisted on requoting due to the “material change”. Premium increased by £150. Needless to say, that call ended swiftly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What insurance companies are recommended for EVs? Or is it much the same as others and best to look around comparison sites?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,197 Posts
It is not called an "i" so why would you put it?

Stick to the model name on the V5. You would be beyond reproach.

But thanks for the tip off all the same.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Agreed. It isn't called an "i". You're insuring the car you have.

Reactions: Jelleebeen

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not called an "i" so why would you put it?

Stick to the model name on the V5. You would be beyond reproach.

But thanks for the tip off all the same.
You won’t get the V5 until some weeks following registration and delivery.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What insurance companies are recommended for EVs? Or is it much the same as others and best to look around comparison sites?
LV do an EV policy and were competitive when I got a quote for my Zoe after Churchill hiked up their rates late last year.

Reactions: Jelleebeen

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are battery lease you have to be careful as some insurers get a bit funny about it.
For battery owned, its a lottery like any other insurance quote, so shop around. What will be cheaper for me could be the most expensive for you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So we agree that for now at least that there’s some level of ambiguity then.

What’s odd is there was never a battery lease 50 model destined for UK....and yet the ABI have gone to the trouble of giving a model that’s never existed a rating and shared it with its members.

Obviously there’s a mistake. We can all agree on what it should say. A bit closer to the time I’ll get a fresh round of quotes online and call for clarification.

Belt and braces and all that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably should have checked before - Our order says “i”. So given there was never destined to be a battery lease mode in the UK, still ambiguous for all the reasons I initially said. And more expensive than the non i quote

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Well, that settles it then.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, that settles it then.
Not entirely no.

On comparison sites more insurers are quoting for the 50 without the “I” than with. On direct sites selecting the “I” model on the drop is more expensive to insure than the non-i drop down.

There’s never been a battery lease model destined for UK so there should only be one drop down menu selection for each Zoe 50 trim level/power output.

The difference between selecting one of other is a not insubstantial amount of money.

Clearly a mistake has been made. Possibly some insurers are quoting thinking the car that does actually exist is the one in the category without the i in it.

I’ll make some enquiries next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The trouble you might find is when you submit your reg and the company adjusts your premium. Some insurers will add a higher increase to your premium than others, so you might not necessarily get the best deal from the lowest non-i.

Why is sorting out insurance before 2 weeks prior to delivery preferable? Why is this cheaper? (Sorry, probably obvious)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,525 Posts
Why is sorting out insurance before 2 weeks prior to delivery preferable? Why is this cheaper? (Sorry, probably obvious)
Because insurers take advantage of people that are desperate.

Just go online and try quoting for insurance tomorrow vs in two weeks time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts