Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, I hate big screens that need to be used to operate basic and safety related controls. Did tesla do any market research and do they have a back up plan?
Probably needs a new "Big Screen" thread.
Except they don't as the wipers can be operated by pressing the stalk or voice.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
562 Posts
Momentary or switch from off to auto? Just my preference, not liking or ever going to buy a car with Tesla size screens.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
New to him or her? It's amazing that from that entire post that's the only thing you felt worthy of commenting on.
I do apologise. I was commenting that the post didn't make sense to me. I couldn't understand how a new car would have over 2,000 miles on the clock. As for the rest of it I have no particular interest.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Except they don't as the wipers can be operated by pressing the stalk.
Only the "wipe" once feature (or screenwash when held in). It also opens the Wiper functions on the touchscreen. You then have to switch form the stalk to the screen to change the speed of your wipers. Yes there is also a voice control command but let's not pretend any of these are as straight forward as rotating or adjusting a stalk that allows you to change wiper speed with a very quick wrist movement.

I said it in the thread on this very subject, but to me Tesla's ( and to be fair some other brands) love affair with technology seems to be "tech for the sake of it". Tech is not the answer to a problem that never existed, especially when it is actually counter-intuitive.

I hate the touch screen temperature controls on my E-Tron. On more than a few occassions I have found myself focusing too long on the lower touch screen, trying to manipulate the controls when a simple twist of the more standard dial would be so much simpler. Though at least they are not a fundamental feature for driving the car safely or reacting to changing weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Momentary or switch from off to auto? Just my preference, not liking or ever going to buy a car with Tesla size screens.
Ok you'll be seeing a diminishing choice then as everyone is following Tesla on this. I'd hate to go back to a multitude of knobs and buttons and peering through the steering wheel spokes to try and see the speedo or remaining range.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Only the "wipe" once feature (or screenwash when held in). It also opens the Wiper functions on the touchscreen. You then have to switch form the stalk to the screen to change the speed of your wipers. Yes there is also a voice control command but let's not pretend any of these are as straight forward as rotating or adjusting a stalk that allows you to change wiper speed with a very quick wrist movement.

I said it in the thread on this very subject, but to me Tesla's love affair with technology seems to be "tech for the sake of it". Tech is not the answer to a problem that never existed, especially when it is actually counter-intuitive.
Voice commands are working well now and improving all the time. I never need to switch away from auto and just push the stalk if an occasional quick wipe is needed. Very simple.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok you'll be seeing a diminishing choice then as everyone is following Tesla on this. I'd hate to go back to a multitude of knobs and buttons and peering through the steering wheel spokes to try and see the speedo or remaining range.
Tesla have been doing this for years and are still the only car manufacturer doing this one giant screen and no speedo in your eyeline thing. If other manufacturers thought it was worth copying they would have done so by now. I have never once in decades of driving felt that looking at my speed on a conventional dial was a pain or sub-optimal. Or that using a control stalk from muscle memory with tactile feedback was in need of a major revamp.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Tesla have been doing this for years and are still the only car manufacturer doing this (one giant screen) thing. If other manufacturers thought it was worth copying they would have done so by now. I have never once in decades of driving felt that looking at my speed on a conventional dial was a pain or sub-optimal.
Have you seen Polestar, id3 etc? All going to screen control approach and following Tesla. I've come across plenty of cars where the instrument binnacle behind the steering wheel is suboptimal.

·
Registered
16,829 Posts
Tesla have been doing this for years and are still the only car manufacturer doing this (one giant screen) thing. If other manufacturers thought it was worth copying they would have done so by now. I have never once in decades of driving felt that looking at my speed on a conventional dial was a pain or sub-optimal.
Lots of OEMs are moving that way now.

The only thing slowing them down is their ability to write the software.

·
Registered
562 Posts
More likely the other way round so I doubt I'll run out of choices.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Customers will have the final say.
We had a Yaris (Mk2 IIRC) for many years with no instruments behind the steering wheel - there was a 'glove box' there. The digital speedo, etc, was in a central binnacle on top of the dashboard and once I got used to it I rather liked it. (I assume for Toyota it was cheaper to produce for RHD/LHD options.)
On the next generation (Mk3 I guess) they reverted to an analogue cluster behind the steering wheel. Probably customer pressure as a lot of people don't like digital speed displays (I used to be one in fact).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
If there's no wiper stalk how do you do front screen wash on a model 3? If that's on the touchscreen it's idiotic.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Please don't take this personally but please read your last paragraph back as if it was someone else who wrote it about another car brand. Genuine question, but If that list of issues was from someone describing their car from a rival brand, would you find it acceptable?

I am not aiming this at you specifically and it is meant as a general observation. But your post goes some way to explain the relative arrogance of Tesla, and to a certain extent some of the owners of Tesla's. The very notion that someone else has a viable option as an EV seems almost alien to most (not all) Tesla owners and of course the company itself. There also seems to be a large amount of leeway that Tesla owners are prepared to give Tesla for issues that really shouldn't be happening considering their luxury price point.

The issues you have listed are.
  • Trim alignment
  • Paint chip (assuming delivered as such)
  • Both taillights keep misting up.
  • Wheel with bad finish from new
I am genuinely perplexed that you are saying with almost apathetic indifference that Tesla QC issues are commonplace and accepted as "normal". I know other car brands also have such issues, but it seems far more common with Tesla from the research I have done.

5 - 7 years ago Tesla were indeed the only real game in town for larger EVs that were more than a city runabout. In the past few years we have seen Mercedes, Audi and Jaguar (and soon BMW and Polestar) all release viable alternatives to Tesla's grip on the "luxury" EV market. It would be arrogant in the extreme to claim Tesla have nothing to worry about. If they don't improve those QC, build quality and customer support issues they will soon find themselves caught or even surpassed by more mainstream and more established brands.

I personally find it astonishing that there is any brand loyalty among EV owners. The truth is that every EV that replaces an ICE should be seen as a good thing, regardless of brand.
The wheel marks are me being anal, frankly. I have attached photos of the marks to give you some context.

Regards the rest - I'm not sure what to say really? You're right, of course, and I'm not saying that I'm happy about this state of affairs, but I have made peace with the fact that this is the way Tesla is. The car as a whole makes up for the lack of quality control, and each of the things listed is being fixed, so it's not as if I'm being left in the lurch.

I accept that this is the price of entry when buying a Tesla, and I know that compared to some other people I have got off lightly. It isn't acceptable, but it is the way it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
The wheel marks are me being anal, frankly. I have attached photos of the marks to give you some context.

Regards the rest - I'm not sure what to say really? You're right, of course, and I'm not saying that I'm happy about this state of affairs, but I have made peace with the fact that this is the way Tesla is. The car as a whole makes up for the lack of quality control, and each of the things listed is being fixed, so it's not as if I'm being left in the lurch.

I accept that this is the price of entry when buying a Tesla, and I know that compared to some other people I have got off lightly. It isn't acceptable, but it is the way it is.
If you never wash it you will never notice those marks 😀

Thank you for the well reasoned reply and for not getting defensive. I was simply curious to understand at how you were giving Tesla such slack over these kind of issues as almost to be expected. Even describing this as "lucky" as if having more is somehow normal and expceted. Though I can see why Tesla owners would easily fall in love (or is that too strong a word?) with their cars. The tech is overall second to none and their range and efficiency is world class. Tesla should be forever on a pedestal for pushing mainstream brands towards full electric. If it wasn't for Tesla EVs would still be niche little city runabouts.

Out of the past 10 cars my wife or I have owned, 3 had no issues at all over 2-4 years ownership, 6 of them had 1 - 3 minor issues max and 1 was a total lemon that was returned around 12 times for minor to major issues (new model Qashqai). I would consider having no issues as lucky, 1-3 minor issues would be sort of expected considering how complex cars are. Anything over that and it starts to raise questions on QC for me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We had a Yaris (Mk2 IIRC) for many years with no instruments behind the steering wheel - there was a 'glove box' there. The digital speedo, etc, was in a central binnacle on top of the dashboard and once I got used to it I rather liked it. (I assume for Toyota it was cheaper to produce for RHD/LHD options.)
On the next generation (Mk3 I guess) they reverted to an analogue cluster behind the steering wheel. Probably customer pressure as a lot of people don't like digital speed displays (I used to be one in fact).
I think the Yaris was quite different to the way the M3 works though as the digital display was higher up and somehow had a focal point that felt like it was towards the end of the bonnet (ok it has a short bonnet!) I remember reading though that the idea was your eyes didn't need to refocus to look between the speedo and the road and I must admit it seemed to work, also as an added bonus passengers couldn't see how fast you were going :devilish::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
had a focal point that felt like it was towards the end of the bonnet (ok it has a short bonnet!) I remember reading though that the idea was your eyes didn't need to refocus to look between the speedo and the road
Yes, it was focused in the distance beyond the front of the car as HUDs should be for exactly that reason.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts