Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I own since Monday (22/9) an e-Golf the car is great but the range is tight but worst of all it is that I can't charge it at many CCS charging points. I managed it on one poit in Georges Yard Braintree but at Beaconsfield services and along the M4 as at Bristol science park no connection possible
What are you experiences on CCS charging?

Thanks

Stephan

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's a known issue for E-Golf CCS, they are working on a solution at Ecotricity.

I was thinking of getting an E-Golf myself. What is the range like at motorway speeds (65+ mph)?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
@Stephan...it's been answered already in your original thread :)

It's a known issue with the e-Golf on ecotricity chargers and they are addressing the issue with VW. Hang tight!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a known issue for E-Golf CCS, they are working on a solution at Ecotricity.

I was thinking of getting an E-Golf myself. What is the range like at motorway speeds (65+ mph)?
Early days for me but I did a night run Stanstead Airport to Beaconsfield and just made it 64miles...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove as usual...
The next day I used adaptive cruise and stayed behind trucks at 56m/h I did charge inbetween and did a 80m range if my rough calcs are correct Again early days, we got it for local commuting

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does add up to my estimations. I read a VW engineer tested the GTE (8.8kWh lithium-ion battery, 101 bhp electric motor) did 18 miles at 100 km/h. A quick pro-rata calculation (24kWh lithium-ion battery, 113bhp AC motor) would suggest the E-Golf has a 49 range at the same speed. I'd imagine the slightly improved drag on the E-Golf would up that to around 55 miles.
I asked my local VW electric dealer if I could take a test drive on the motorway and they said 'No'. I can see why now.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Thanks guys...always weighing up my next motor. For my needs ie 40 miles commute but occasional long distance drive, the e-Golf is not suitable for me. But the Golf GT-E might be as it's a hybrid :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I asked my local VW electric dealer if I could take a test drive on the motorway and they said 'No'. I can see why now.
Because they don't want to sell cars? Seems off to me.

I wonder if VW will offer long weekend or seven days test drives as other EV folk do, that'd help people make informed purchasing choices.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
VW were a bit odd about test driving at LCV Cenex Milton test track too. I was looking forward to it but was told sorry full with 3 cars sat there doing nothing for the next 2 hours.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Because they don't want to sell cars? Seems off to me..
It seemed wrong to me too. They offered a fixed route which included one junction of the M42.
BMW and Nissan had no such limits. Maybe it was just this one dealer, but there are a limited number of VW dealers working with electrics. This dealer was already 30 miles away and I didn't fancy a longer trek.

EDIT - To be fair, there are very few demonstrators of the E-Golf in the UK. Maybe they just want to keep the mileage down so they can resell it with no loss of price.
I know second hand i3s have close to retail price, or even higher.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts