Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. What is the function of the button next to the charging socket on the id3? I have been having problems using the CCS rapid charging points locally (it keeps saying there is a fault...retry) and I wondered if this button either has to be pushed in or not for the CCS chager to work.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi. What is the function of the button next to the charging socket on the id3? I have been having problems using the CCS rapid charging points locally (it keeps saying there is a fault...retry) and I wondered if this button either has to be pushed in or not for the CCS chager to work.
Which button? The one upper left of the socket, just below the charging light? Press it in until it clicks and it pivots as it does so. This is the locking pin that hooks around the lug on the locking "fuel filler flap" to lock it. Other than that, you are pulling out the DC charging cover below the not quite circular 7 pin socket aren't you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My id3 will not charge using CCS at any of my local charging points (I have tried 6 different ones), Is this likely to be a fault in the vehicle? And can it be repaired?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks. My id3 will not charge using CCS at any of my local charging points (I have tried 6 different ones), Is this likely to be a fault in the vehicle? And can it be repaired?
Have you tried a different cable? The fault could be the cable.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Have you tried a different cable? The fault could be the cable.
Which cable? Are you talking about the one that comes with the car? Is that meant for CCS or just Type 2 AC charging up to 11kWh?

When I charged CCS, the tethered cable on the rapid charger was much beefier than the cable that comes with the car. Presumably much bigger cable cross section to handle 50/100kWh charging.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Which cable? Are you talking about the one that comes with the car? Is that meant for CCS or just Type 2 AC charging up to 11kWh?

When I charged CCS, the tethered cable on the rapid charger was much beefier than the cable that comes with the car. Presumably much bigger cable cross section to handle 50/100kWh charging.
I think I misunderstood your issue. I though you had issues with the type 2 cable for AC charging.

I assume your issue is the car not charging when plugged in to a DC 50/100 kWh rapid charger?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
The ID3 has been found to be glitchy at quite a few different Rapid units using the CCS socket. Apparently, as an example, there is a known issue at the new MFG units by SWARCO that involves some kind of conflict over the CCS protocol between different manufacturers and charge providers. Sometimes drivers are recommended to support the CCS plug as it is pushed into the car's charge port and to then hold its weight as the 'start' is initiated. The theory is that the signal wire at the top isn't making good contact inside because the cable weight pulls it slightly out. But experience says that this doesn't work either and a lot of your troubles are being reported.

What Rapid charge companies are you using? (Or trying to use that is)

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
417 Posts
Which charge companies? What happens when you try? Have you tried supporting the cable and plug during the initiation phase?

·
Registered
887 Posts
The ID3 has been found to be glitchy at quite a few different Rapid units using the CCS socket. Apparently, as an example, there is a known issue at the new MFG units by SWARCO that involves some kind of conflict over the CCS protocol between different manufacturers and charge providers. Sometimes drivers are recommended to support the CCS plug as it is pushed into the car's charge port and to then hold its weight as the 'start' is initiated. The theory is that the signal wire at the top isn't making good contact inside because the cable weight pulls it slightly out. But experience says that this doesn't work either and a lot of your troubles are being reported.

What Rapid charge companies are you using? (Or trying to use that is)
I've only rapid charged twice, both on BP pulse that the ID3 sat nav has led me to, worked both times, both 50kWh chargers.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm stopped at Donnington services - 120kWh chargers at 30p per kWh. Halfway through the 345 mile journey from Newcastle to Southampton.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Sometimes the cars' internal timers are left set to only accept a charge at certain times of the day. Such as those to take advantage of overnight cheap periods. That can often cause problems when charging at other times. Could that be a factor to eliminate?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sometimes the cars' internal timers are left set to only accept a charge at certain times of the day. Such as those to take advantage of overnight cheap periods. That can often cause problems when charging at other times. Could that be a factor to eliminate?
The id3 timed charging only works at the defined locations ie uses gps rather than applying to all charge points

·
Registered
442 Posts
The ONLY charging network/chargers I’ve not got working within 2 min are the MFG units described above. Where many people also have problems. I wouldn’t describe the ccs charging on the id3 as glitchy at all.

Seems pretty damned good to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same - I've only had issues with ancient Ecotricity chargers - but then it seems you only get a charge if it's a blue moon with Mars in the 3rd house with those 😉

Edit: it wasn't only me having problems either, ZapMap confirms those chargers in question were generally broken to everyone

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
512 Posts
I’ve used CCS charging on Osprey, Ionity, GeniePoint, Instavolt, Engie, ESB, eVolt, Ecotricity. The car has never been glitchy. A few chargers have.
Need more specifics on what chargers, whether used apps, what specific problems were found etc. Bottom line for newbies is carefully follow the charger screen instructions, don’t plug in cable too early.
I personally favour getting RFID cards for commonly used chargers,where sensible.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The ONLY charging network/chargers I’ve not got working within 2 min are the MFG units described above. Where many people also have problems. I wouldn’t describe the ccs charging on the id3 as glitchy at all.

Seems pretty damned good to me.
MFG are using SWARCO as back office. Read the threads re ChargePlace Scotland since SWARCO took over and then draw your own conclusions.
Wasn't SWARCO really a traffic light company?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a similar list of working rapids - Gridserve, Ionity, Podpoint, Osprey, Geniepoint, Instavolt.

I have had occasional problems at all, but they have been very, very occasional.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
Many reports of no problems with ID3 and CCS - errr - except for the occasional issue which was overcome - yet exception is taken to the word glitch.

Definition of 'Glitch'. [ɡliCH] NOUN. 1. A sudden, usually temporary malfunction or irregularity of equipment.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
512 Posts
Some chargers have problems or ‘glitches’ not the ID3. It’s really not that difficult. Ask any EV driver in any car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts