Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread to expand common knowledge on the implications of CCS. Mine is partial only. The first question I have is about the CCS socket in cars like the E-Up! and the BMW i3, and the fact that the top half of the frankenplug looks exactly like a Mennenkes type 2, so can a type 2 tethered cable (or a type 2 - type 2 cable) be plugged into the cars CCS socket for slower charging? If not is there a converter available?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I wanted to start a thread to expand common knowledge on the implications of CCS. Mine is partial only. The first question I have is about the CCS socket in cars like the E-Up! and the BMW i3, and the fact that the top half of the frankenplug looks exactly like a Mennenkes type 2, so can a type 2 tethered cable (or a type 2 - type 2 cable) be plugged into the cars CCS socket for slower charging? If not is there a converter available?
Yes, the idea of CCS is that you get slow(ish) AC and rapid DC in the same connector.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I thought it was only designed like that to make a single socket on the car, if your using the fankenplug its DC only, if you want AC you use a normal type 2

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think you misunderstand Matt there Jon... he is talking about the car. One connector to be used for both AC and DC charging.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
If you take a look at the CCS cable connector (on the left) you'll see it's missing the four AC power pins that are in the Type 2 car connector (on the right).

While it's theoretically possible to have a Charging Station connector that support both AC and DC in the real world today it's one or the other.

ccs-combo-type2.jpg

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
so really the whole "combined" bit of the name was misleading it was just the EU trying to impose yet another standard ?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
so really the whole "combined" bit of the name was misleading it was just the EU trying to impose yet another standard ?
To be fair both the IEC and SAE have taken the same approach for DC charging with the addition of extra pins to carry the DC current. Personally I think this is a reasonable compromise because we now have a connector that scales to 43kW AC and 100kW+ DC while still allowing Type 2 connector innovation like Tesla's pin improvements (135kW) or Mennekes mid-DC (~100kW).

What we really need now is for Nissan to support Type 2 and CCS in Europe so that we have a single AC/DC standard on vehicles.

Here's the US (SAE) version which uses identical protocols to the IEC version allowing a universal car design with a simple car connector change :)

sae-j1772-coupler.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
So let me see if I understand, any car with a CCS socket can charge at any charging point with a CCS plug. AC or DC dependant upon the car.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Nearly...

Any car with CCS can charge on a CCS DC charger or an type 2 (in Europe) AC charger. How fast they charge on AC depends on what charger they have on the car.

CCS is DC only AFAIR.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to test drive an e-up on Saturday and it can only take 16A on the Mennenkes type 2 connection (which can indeed be regular type 2 tether or cable.) the Combined is the only way to charge en-route with rapid-dc. 11kw I think they said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts