Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone here had the CCS retrofit upgrade done?
I'm interested to hear whether it can improve supercharging speeds? A Tesla rep on the phone said it 'definitely' does, but I suspect they meant it does when compared to using third party rapids on type 2, not in comparison to Superchargers.
2 questions really:
Would I see an improvement using the CCS adaptor at a CCS Tesla Supercharger over a 'normal' one.
Would I see an improvement in speed using an Ionity CCS charger over a Supercharger.

Trying to work out if it's a useful and worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I’ve had it, and when supercharging on a V2 charger I used both the old and CCS cables and it made no difference. Charging speed is controlled as much by the car as anything and it’s rare/fleeting do you max out a charge point, I don’t see why CCS would make a difference to that.

I only tried CCS a couple of times elsewhere and with mixed results. If you google you’ll find Tesla haven’t implemented CCS fully to the spec resulting in some reliability issues depending on make of charger. But if you find yourself away from superchargers and the need to rapid charge then it’s better than not having it, but other than a few test chargers I’ve not yet had the need to use it in anger.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
It certainly wont improve speeds, the battery controls this mostly and then after that the available power at each SuC site.

The only real advantage i can see for most users would be if they often had a route that wasnt SC covered and they had the use of CCS instead, IE parts of Europe or such.
But then think of it this way, are there ANY CCS sites that are cheaper than using a SuC? Lidl are the only ones i know of and they are limited to about 48kw.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It certainly wont improve speeds, the battery controls this mostly and then after that the available power at each SuC site.

The only real advantage i can see for most users would be if they often had a route that wasnt SC covered and they had the use of CCS instead, IE parts of Europe or such.
But then think of it this way, are there ANY CCS sites that are cheaper than using a SuC? Lidl are the only ones i know of and they are limited to about 48kw.
Some (no longer all) of the ChargePlace Scotland chargers are still free. And the SuC network leaves a lot of the less-populated areas of the country uncovered, so that’d be the only real option for anyone touring the sites.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Sounds like for my needs it probably isn't worth doing for the time being.
Coming from an ioniq and third party charging system it's taking time to get used to the ease of supercharging and my instinct is to have every available plug as an option!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone here had the CCS retrofit upgrade done?
I'm interested to hear whether it can improve supercharging speeds? A Tesla rep on the phone said it 'definitely' does, but I suspect they meant it does when compared to using third party rapids on type 2, not in comparison to Superchargers.
2 questions really:
Would I see an improvement using the CCS adaptor at a CCS Tesla Supercharger over a 'normal' one.
Would I see an improvement in speed using an Ionity CCS charger over a Supercharger.

Trying to work out if it's a useful and worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks
I'm re-examining the value of the CCS retrofit (I have a pre-facelift MS plus a CHAdeMO adapter) due to recent news of upcoming Supercharger sites that will be V3 only. There's already one site being built in the UK (Leeds Service Centre) that's advanced enough to be able to see it will definitely be exclusively V3 (x8), and I believe a few others in continental Europe. Now planning applications for new EV charging bays at several Moto service areas have been spotted which imply V3 Tesla and CCS Ecotricity rapids are to be installed (see, e.g., supercharge.info for details). Add that to the unsolicited e-mail I received from Tesla advertising the CCS upgrade option and it's clear that we won't be getting any non-CCS Supercharger backward compatibility for older S and X cars in the UK or Europe.

As explained above, for older S & X cars charging speed will be limited by the car in almost all circumstances. In my case (S70) the last time I Supercharged in ideal conditions the car peaked briefly at ~115 kW before dropping to the mid 90's, so a V2 charger can already supply more than enough power for me to "max out" and I wouldn't see any speed benefit from a V3 or Ionity charger.

The one exception I can think of is sharing a pair - apparently V3 chargers can deliver full power even if several cars are charging at once (each V3 charging unit supplies 4 stalls as opposed to the V2 pairing setup).

For the time being there's a reasonably extensive V2 (and CHAdeMO) network but if you're hoping for a gap to be plugged on a particular route don't be surprised if it ends up being a V3 only site, requiring the CCS upgrade to make use of it.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
They've just dropped the price to £299 for the retro fit which helps with the man maths.
Wonder if its in response to people sussing out that the V3 chargers now mean no old Type2 style connector and they will be phased out over a year or so maybe?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wonder if its in response to people sussing out that the V3 chargers now mean no old Type2 style connector and they will be phased out over a year or so maybe?
Maybe, the owners group are trying to claim credit but as they've not exactly been over run with success on any real issues such as batterygate, heater failures, MCU 1 issues etc, I think its just coincidence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They've just dropped the price to £299 for the retro fit which helps with the man maths.
Well this is interesting because despite what I thought 2 weeks ago, my 10 day camping trip to Pembrokeshire has taught me that actually a ccs adaptor could be VERY useful when compared to trying to use the Dragon Charging (genie point) type 2 network!

·
Registered
467 Posts
As of today the CCS retrofit is being reported as £280 all-in (via TOGUK FB group). Apparently there's a bit of a parts backlog as more folk are requesting it now, so hopefully those who are in the queue will benefit from this additional price reduction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As of today the CCS retrofit is being reported as £280 all-in (via TOGUK FB group). Apparently there's a bit of a parts backlog as more folk are requesting it now, so hopefully those who are in the queue will benefit from this additional price reduction.
I am booked for CCS retrofit to my MS 100D on 12th August. I'm crossing my fingers that parts required are in stock

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am booked for CCS retrofit to my MS 100D on 12th August. I'm crossing my fingers that parts required are in stock
I’ve no idea what exactly but there have been some significant parts deliveries to Tilburg over the last few days. This is much to the disappointment of hopeful Model 3 owners waiting impatiently for their cars!

Hopefully they had room for loads of adapters :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have an existing type 2 cable. Does that also need to be changed, or is there a type2-CCS adapter available with the upgrade?

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you have an existing type 2 cable. Does that also need to be changed, or is there a type2-CCS adapter available with the upgrade?
As @Kingpleb1 says your car's socket is unchanged. A CCS cable plugs in via an adapter - there's a picture of it here.
It's much neater than the CHAdeMO adapter, I assume the clever electronics now sit inside the car next to the charger modules so the adapter itself is very simple. It also allows much higher power throughput (if your ageing S/X can handle it!). I don't know what the limit is OTH but it's higher than the CHAD's 50kW max. Also I gather the CHAdeMO adapter still works on cars that have had the CCS retrofit so you get the best of both worlds if you stumble across an older, non-CCS, rapid charger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As @Kingpleb1 says your car's socket is unchanged. A CCS cable plugs in via an adapter - there's a picture of it here.

Also I gather the CHAdeMO adapter still works on cars that have had the CCS retrofit so you get the best of both worlds if you stumble across an older, non-CCS, rapid charger.
In some ways it's a shame that the socket on the car isn't changed... it means that you have to reach into the boot for the adapter each time you charge... and you have to remember not to leave the adapter on the cable when you finish.

Being able to use the Chademo when I need to is a bonus though.

Not a perfect solution but with (many) new Supercharger stalls only have the CCS connector, it's going to be increasingly useful.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In some ways it's a shame that the socket on the car isn't changed... it means that you have to reach into the boot for the adapter each time you charge... and you have to remember not to leave the adapter on the cable when you finish.
The reason is that the CCS socket won't physically fit in the space. I imagine when they next facelift the S/X they'll modify the bodywork/rear light area to accommodate a CCS socket in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts