Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, at a triple-headed rapid charger, I encountered a BMW i3, equipped with a CCS connector, that the driver had plugged in the AC plug. The CCS on that unit was apparently working. The best rate that's going to get is 11kW. Presumably the driver knows how to plug in at home, and had never used CCS before.
This is the problem with any form of connection fee. If the driver realised their error, it would cost them three pounds to restart the charge with the more appropriate connector.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,618 Posts
The other day, at a triple-headed rapid charger, I encountered a BMW i3, equipped with a CCS connector, that the driver had plugged in the AC plug. The CCS on that unit was apparently working. The best rate that's going to get is 11kW. Presumably the driver knows how to plug in at home, and had never used CCS before.
This is the problem with any form of connection fee. If the driver realised their error, it would cost them three pounds to restart the charge with the more appropriate connector.
Are you sure it was CCS equipped, some early i3s didn't have DC Prep.

It is entirely possible that the owner was unaware that there was another cover over the DC pins.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
Are you sure it was CCS equipped, some early i3s didn't have DC Prep.

It is entirely possible that the owner was unaware that there was another cover over the DC pins.
Including James May's i3 - which really, really didn't help his case in the stupidly unrealistic comparison they did against a Golf GTI on the grand tour :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Was it a charger capable of simultaneous AC and DC charging? I've used the AC on such a unit when the Chademo was being used as I would still be getting 11kW whilst I waited. Had a Zoe turned up then I would have let them use it and I did shift over to the CCS when the DC side was free.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Including James May's i3 - which really, really didn't help his case in the stupidly unrealistic comparison they did against a Golf GTI on the grand tour :(
Do the i3s that don't have CCS capability actually have a normal CCS port with the DC connectors? I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of a non-CCS i3, and it didn't have the DC pins on the charge inlet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The non DC enabled i3’s just have a standard type 2. All new models now come with DC on a CCS connector as standard.
The old models also only supported single phase charging on AC so where limited to 7kW, whilst the new CCS enabled 94Ah model supports 3 phase at 11kW

·
2,654 Posts
Do the i3s that don't have CCS capability actually have a normal CCS port with the DC connectors? I'm pretty sure I've seen a photo of a non-CCS i3, and it didn't have the DC pins on the charge inlet.
I haven’t seen on in person, but James May’s car only had a type 2 socket

·
2,654 Posts
And he had the range extender that is perfectly capable of running the car at 70mph with the heating on all day long, but that wouldn’t make good television would it?
I thought the range extender was only good for around 40 miles? They drive to Cornwall- which you can’t really deny is a pain to get to in any EV. Although in fairness it’s a pain to get to in any car!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was it a charger capable of simultaneous AC and DC charging? I've used the AC on such a unit when the Chademo was being used as I would still be getting 11kW whilst I waited. Had a Zoe turned up then I would have let them use it and I did shift over to the CCS when the DC side was free.
No. This was an Ecotricity DBT triple-headed unit. One vehicle at a time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I thought the range extender was only good for around 40 miles? They drive to Cornwall- which you can’t really deny is a pain to get to in any EV. Although in fairness it’s a pain to get to in any car!
I was using the more vernacular meaning of "all day long"! Naturally you'd need to stop and refuel! I can manage abut 80 miles on the REX

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. This was an Ecotricity DBT triple-headed unit. One vehicle at a time.
Ah - if it's an Ecotricity unit then I might have a reason. If you don't pick the right i3 variant in the app then it won't let you charge on CCS as it will say it is incompatible and it will make you use the AC. The standard i3 option assumes a 60Ah battery and no DC charging. You have to select the i3 94Ah or i3 (with DC preparation) for the app to allow CCS use

1 - 16 of 16 Posts