Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

CCS V2G Timetable and backward compatibility

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  zanc 
#1 ·
Elsewhere I read that V2G will not become standard until 2025
Does anyone know if manufacturers will be able to retrofit V2G capability through software upgrades to support the new protocols, or is it likely to require additional hardware to support V2G functionality.

#2 ·
Technically it is almost certain that most cars could support V2G via a software update, as it's just an extension of the communications protocol - the actual power hardware is just the contactor to connect the charge port to the battery, which it already does for charging. It's possible there might be some cases where, for example the hardware can't measure the current flow out of the battery to the charge port. There might also be some safety approvals & testing costs.
However there is little incentive for them to do any sort of retrofit so I can't see it happenning for any existing cars.
A lot of the software and hardware involved will have been bought in from subassembly manufacturers, so any upgrades would likely cost the manufacturer to deploy, both in licensing, and any integration work.

#4 ·
It could of course be either side, but 7 kW from the majority of cars seems quite a low limit if it is onboard.

#7 ·
Why would you want V2G at a public point? It only makes sense if cars are available for long periods of time, in a way that doesn't significantly impact normal usage.
Although it could certainly make sense in situations like fleets in a depot, I'm not convinced how viable it would be for home usage in the forseeable future, especially if we're not going to even see compatible CCS cars for 5 years.
And how the hell does it take 5 years to define a software standard anyway? This is hardly rocket science! CCS seems to be a complete mess from start to finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.