Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Good advice re-the regenerative braking being reduced dramatically above 80% charge.

My understanding is that rapid charging is more effective at cell balancing than 100% charging, but I stand to be corrected.

In terms of your occasional long journeys, speed is a major factor in electricity consumption so just knocking off 5 MPH makes a major difference and may be enough in the marginal need for a second charge. You could also look at increasing tyre pressures and blanking the front grille which make a different if you haven't already done so.
Full regen becomes available around 93% SoC when charged using Type 2. Full regen is available even when I've charged 95% on Rapid.

Balancing is a function of BMS not charging system. AC charging involves conversion to DC before charging. Rapid is DC they meet at a later point.

Above 90% the amps drop enough even on rapid for it to not be faster than AC charging.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Full regen becomes available around 93% SoC when charged using Type 2. Full regen is available even when I've charged 95% on Rapid.
For my 13 Reg 24 kWh Sunderland built Leaf it appears to depend on battery temperature. In cold weather I can find the %SOC has to drop below 80% (below 70% with only 3 bars of battery temperature) before I get full (4 blobs) of regen available.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
For my 13 Reg 24 kWh Sunderland built Leaf it appears to depend on battery temperature. In cold weather I can find the %SOC has to drop below 80% (below 70% with only 3 bars of battery temperature) before I get full (4 blobs) of regen available.
My bad. My experience is solely with Leaf 30kwh

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would set the timer to charge to 100% at least once or twice a week as this appears to help with cell balancing (but make sure your wife is aware that on the first corner after leaving home with 100% charge, the brakes will feel a bit less effective as there is little or no regen braking when the battery charge % is in the high 90's)
Thanks - i'd come across this behaviour but not understood the cause ! I noted that sometimes the regen was really light/hardly there, but it got better at some point during the trip. I was not sure why, and was wondering if it was some sort of glitch/idiosyncracy/me not turning the car on properly... I drive it in ECO, and think that i rarely use the brakes at all.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
On the 30kwh its also Temp and Journey dependent.
I've seen it before that I've had full regen available at 98% with a warm battery when doing a longer run.
Cold days like today even at 85% its not happy to give full regen :(

FYI tesla's do the same with a cold battery regardless of charge state i have found.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
On the 30kwh its also Temp and Journey dependent.
I've seen it before that I've had full regen available at 98% with a warm battery when doing a longer run.
Cold days like today even at 85% its not happy to give full regen :(

FYI tesla's do the same with a cold battery regardless of charge state i have found.
Teslas have TMS that manage temperature in a set spot as much as possible unlike what we have with Nissan

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The tesla stuff will only preheat the battery if it knows when you are leaving.
If you're renting to such a vehicle it will never know as you dont have the app and it doesnt learn your habbits.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts