Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s getting perilously close to the end of the 3yr warranty and as usual, my Leaf seems to intent on delivering some ball-crushing intermittent faults that the garage can’t find.
This time, the car, once locked, simply refuses to be opened either using the fob or the button. At first I thought it was the battery in the fobs so I replaced both of them. The fault then vanished so I thought no more of it. Soon after, it happened again and refused to open again but within a few minutes, it cleared itself.
Last week, my wife was in the car, having parked up, and she couldn’t get out as the doors wouldn’t open.
Yesterday, I had to go out urgently and the damn thing refused to unlock using either fob.

I eventually unlocked it and dragged the *astard to the Nissan dealer where it gave a perfect example of locking and unlocking using the fob and button..

They’ve agreed to look at it when the service is due in a couple of weeks but if they can’t get it to go wrong, what happens after the warranty expires with respect to this particular fault?

Has anyone had this issue? I’m getting a bit worried about either getting stuck in the car or not being able to unlock it when I’m in a multi storey somewhere!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would imagine that it would be covered under the warranty.

The 12v battery does seem to be the first thing to check with any Nissan Leaf electrical fault. You could try giving it a charge and see if your fault goes away for a while. That may help to diagnose the problem?

It's strange that the dealers don't test the battery first when a customer comes in with something like this. Just goes to show that they aren't as smart as some of the guys on here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
As above it may be covered under warranty, if you do a lot of small trips rather than longer trips this time of year the 12v battery takes a hammering and does not get chance to fully charge

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a similar problem on my wife's leaf 24, the rear driver side door will refuse to unlock at random, eventually multiple lock/unlock operations will get it to kick into life.

Nissan dealer has never found a problem with it.

I've now got a recording of it happening so hopefully they won't be able to fob me off again.

Interestingly enough I've also had the 12V die on me recently (has happened three times in total now) after leaving the car for a few days, this has been with the car disconnected from the charge point so the HV battery should be keeping the 12V battery topped off.

I'll see whether the dealer will do the decent thing and just replace the battery without hassle. I won't hold my breath!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts