Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or so I've heard
not sure I have the skills to install a protective wrap
would regular car wax make it easier to keep clean?
or is that a bad idea that's very bad?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Centre wrap is really easy. I did it first time just after seeing this video

You just need a bit of patience and you'll have a nice console in no time

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did you go for the carbon fibre wrap? if so does it look oem and does the strips line up between the different panels?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Centre wrap is really easy. I did it first time just after seeing this video

You just need a bit of patience and you'll have a nice console in no time
that looks scary!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I initially went for the taptes one that isn't nearly as good quality as the kenriko (that I have on order now). Where that's good it does look OEM - even around the cupholder which you'd think would be hard to get right.. it's just the cutting is really ropey on the taptes and it shows (1mm too narrow, and one panel not even cut straight). The kenriko won't have that issue so I should be able to get a 100% OEM look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I initially went for the taptes one that isn't nearly as good quality as the kenriko (that I have on order now). Where that's good it does look OEM - even around the cupholder which you'd think would be hard to get right.. it's just the cutting is really ropey on the taptes and it shows (1mm too narrow, and one panel not even cut straight). The kenriko won't have that issue so I should be able to get a 100% OEM look.
ok do you have a link, please
(I'm in the UK)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I can't be bothered spending £30 to install it.

I just use a microfibre to wipe the centre console, it only takes a few seconds to clean finger marks

·
Registered
750 Posts
I can't be bothered spending £30 to install it.

I just use a microfiber to wipe the centre console, it only takes a few seconds to clean finger marks
I like the piano black finish, its classy.
Had it previous cars with no problems, just keep a microfiber in one of the storage bins, its not like the Model 3 is lacking in the storage bin space department :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Best thing to do is get a console wrap from Abstract Ocean or one of the other Tesla Accessory websites and install it pretty much as soon as possible.

I'm not great with being super neat about precise things and I just about managed it, you can see the result in the photos on this page of this thread:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Tesla even provide you a microfibre cloth (it's in the glovebox).
Yes but its much better if you use your own large fluffy microfibre to clean.
Much easier to wipe clean finger marks, and even the touchscreen without switching to screen clean mode ! :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
If I was to go down the route of trying to remove the black gloss in my Model 3.
I would go down the route of buying actual carbon effect stick on covers as apposed to wrap.
You can pretty much get it for all the interior sections and even the external wing mirrors and indicators :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm tentatively on the lookout for something to hide the piano black stuff, but I'm not much of a fake carbon fibre look fan. I've seen some matt black covers but I'd ideally like something to wrap the wooden panel at the same time which is where I start to struggle.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm tentatively on the lookout for something to hide the piano black stuff, but I'm not much of a fake carbon fibre look fan. I've seen some matt black covers but I'd ideally like something to wrap the wooden panel at the same time which is where I start to struggle.
I like the wood dash personally, but I agree - carbon fibre is incongruous in this car. There's no other CF, the car is not made from any CF. The key to effective minimalism (which the model 3 already is!) is to minimise the number of different materials and textures. Introducing a new one that has nothing to do with anything else doesn't really work.

To my mind there's a few effective options - matt black (matches up with other matt black plastics and the seats), wood to match the dash (but wood-effect vinyl is gopping -It would need to be a matching open-pore veneer, which will be difficult to shape - basically a non starter), or black/grey alcantara to match the door cards (which I've seen done on TMC. Also seen some people wrapping the wood with alcantara).

Alcantara in the centre console might not be super-practical (if a drink spilled), and the wood would be very difficult to do, so for a vinyl wrap then matt black seems the sensible option.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like the wood dash personally, but I agree - carbon fibre is incongruous in this car. There's no other CF, the car is not made from any CF. The key to effective minimalism (which the model 3 already is!) is to minimise the number of different materials and textures. Introducing a new one that has nothing to do with anything else doesn't really work.

To my mind there's a few effective options - matt black (matches up with other matt black plastics and the seats), wood to match the dash (but wood-effect vinyl is gopping -It would need to be a matching open-pore veneer, which will be difficult to shape - basically a non starter), or black/grey alcantara to match the door cards (which I've seen done on TMC. Also seen some people wrapping the wood with alcantara).

Alcantara in the centre console might not be super-practical (if a drink spilled), and the wood would be very difficult to do, so for a vinyl wrap then matt black seems the sensible option.
If you stumble across a matt-black kit that can do it all, let me know! I may just buy a small roll of wrap and cut it myself otherwise.

·
Registered
303 Posts

I would tend to agree with you regarding the CF wrap. Only thing going for it is many say it hides any imperfect install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts