Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, I got my new Soul EV in early July. I decided to get it treated with a professional paint correction and 3 year ceramic coating. I was knocked out by the results:

ceramic 2.jpg
drone 1.jpg
drone 6.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
That just looks amazing!!
Incredible how a ceramic coating can actually make a car look better than new.
I wonder why it isn't a factory option.
Did you know that you can actually also combine it with PPF?

·
Registered
109 Posts
it really does look good @Slaphead 👍🏻😎

I think these things aren’t a factory option as the paint finish from the factory isn’t really good enough to coat, and the amount of care needed to do the job doesn’t fit in with mass production techniques.

By ”not good enough” I mean the paint might not be ready as the paint may still be too soft to polish safely (one of my cars was recommended that you didn’t polish it for 3 months as the paint needed to mature - not a mass produced car though).

plus in transport the cars do get a lot of atmospheric stuff thrown at them - the amount of iron fall out that comes off a new car post delivery is amazing. The car might sit around at compounds in industrial areas/doccs/near airports for a few weeks before transporting to the dealer.

Also when I’ve had my cars coated, the detailer takes at least 5 to 6 hours with a polisher to correct all the defects in the paint, and remove all the fine scratches. I don’t think this is something the factory would really be interested in doing...dealers certainly aren’t when they apply their Guard-X or whatever protection they try to flog you at point of sale!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That just looks amazing!!
Incredible how a ceramic coating can actually make a car look better than new.
I wonder why it isn't a factory option.
Did you know that you can actually also combine it with PPF?
No, Never heard of it being used on cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it really does look good @Slaphead 👍🏻😎

I think these things aren’t a factory option as the paint finish from the factory isn’t really good enough to coat, and the amount of care needed to do the job doesn’t fit in with mass production techniques.

By ”not good enough” I mean the paint might not be ready as the paint may still be too soft to polish safely (one of my cars was recommended that you didn’t polish it for 3 months as the paint needed to mature - not a mass produced car though).

plus in transport the cars do get a lot of atmospheric stuff thrown at them - the amount of iron fall out that comes off a new car post delivery is amazing. The car might sit around at compounds in industrial areas/doccs/near airports for a few weeks before transporting to the dealer.

Also when I’ve had my cars coated, the detailer takes at least 5 to 6 hours with a polisher to correct all the defects in the paint, and remove all the fine scratches. I don’t think this is something the factory would really be interested in doing...dealers certainly aren’t when they apply their Guard-X or whatever protection they try to flog you at point of sale!

My car was actually badly swirl marked by incorrect cleaning/polishing before handover. The detailer spent a fair bit of time correcting the paintwork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts