Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my dealer will be in a position to deliver my new Soul EV this coming week. Watch out for new Avatar ! Woo hoo !

Back a few months ago in "normal times" one of the raft of possible add-ons was ceramic paint treatment for £400.
Whilst I am aware that's expensive, I'm inclined to go for it rather than (especially in these times) try and hunt around to save £100 or so.
And whilst i know i could do it myself for say £100, not sure I'd do a good enough job.

But, does it work? is it worth it? Anyone had it done, wished they hadn't bothered, or vice-versa?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ceramic coating, definitely; from the car dealer, definitely not.
Recommend going to a proper detailing and valeters; they will spend the time needed to do the job right, rather than what the majority of dealers do; little if at all different to nothing.
Also recommend you politely ask your dealer to not wash or prepare your new car; any washing tends to cause more headaches with scratches due to more speed than care.
Not saying all dealers are the same, but unless your car has 24hour+ curing time after proper preparation and application, you'll not see or have the benefits of having the coating done.

·
Registered
673 Posts
All three of these were ceramic coated, the Tesla was in two days after collecting, the Leaf and Zoe about two months later.
The difference is night and day, both in appearance and ease of maintenance.
Majority of dealers will offer some paint protection, usually some polymer sealant. Several washes later, you'll notice a diminished amount of beading; all for £250-400, of which will usually be £20-30 of materials at best, applied day before or morning of collection/delivery.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,264 Posts
Here’s a how to video by EVM who used to be a professional detailer.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,622 Posts
I had my first Zoe done. Still looked like new when handed back 2 years later. Yes, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cynic that I am I’m inclined to think that manufacturers spend millions developing paint finishes to give the best longevity and appearance so why would you spend another few hundered quid to mess up a factory finish. If it was that good the makers would do it or offer it as an option. Not convinced.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cynic that I am I’m inclined to think that manufacturers spend millions developing paint finishes to give the best longevity and appearance so why would you spend another few hundered quid to mess up a factory finish. If it was that good the makers would do it or offer it as an option. Not convinced.
Yes that's occurred to me as well.

·
Registered
Audi E-Tron - Launch Edition
39 Posts
Couldn’t have summarised it better than Brian already has. I have been contemplating it with my E-TRON upon delivery, though I think I’ll bite.

Absolutely not from a dealer though. Like mentioned preferably don’t allow them to wash the vehicle, unfortunately they usually make the paint situation worse.

Detailers will generally charge around £400. I got my current A3 coated and it took approx 2 days as it required a machine polish and then coating from new. Got it done the same day the vehicle was delivered.

The ease of washing is night and day and likewise the “beading” effect you get is exceptional. You seem to get this glass effect that can’t be replicated through other methods.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Modern water based paint finishes are rubbish,soft and very easily blemish, definitely do it.

·
Journeyman Human
467 Posts
Modern water based paint finishes are rubbish,soft and very easily blemish, definitely do it.
That's actually a myth. There is a wide misunderstanding regarding water based paints. People somehow think the whole paint system is water based, but it's not the case. The final clear Lacquer coat is the same as that used prior to water based paints coming in, ie, an activated 2 pack coating, so its level of hardness is the same as with previous paint systems. The colour coats below the clear final coat are what got changed to water based.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have never had any kind of paint protection previously until chatting with someone at a Northwest EV owners meet.
He showed me what he used.
When my next (my current) car was picked up I applied it myself that day.
It really did make a big difference.
And still does.

Would I pay hundreds? Doubtful, but thus cost maybe £20.

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If Kias have the same paint quality as Hyundais, do it. As I've said before the paint on the two Hyundais I have owned is like crayon.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,182 Posts
My initial view of these is quite dismal, but I could be persuaded.

The reason for the dismal view is;
  • the coating is a polymer, why call it 'ceramic'?
  • changing the description of a material product = manipulating the view of the customer
  • manipulating the view of the customer = hiding something not to be admitted, limitations and such

Then;
  • if it was so good, why is it not an option from the manufacturers
  • if the manufacturers offered a 'bad paint job' so that customers's cars would 'wear out' quicker and buy another one then we'd see people swapping cars because 'my paint faded'. I have never ever heard of anyone changing their car because the paint faded, and I am thinking back to a time when paint really DID fade!
  • "Hey, dealer, I've got a problem with the paint work and it is in warranty, fix it", "Nah, sorry mate, its got that stuff on it, innit, it's that, bind to the paint, y'know, nothing we can do about that, even if we did we couldn't match it with what you've got on the car now because that isn't what we gave you nor warranted, go see the cowboys that did this to your car, get them to fix it."
  • "Hey, dealer, I've got a problem with corrosion and it is in warranty, fix it", "Nah, sorry mate, its got that stuff on it, innit, it's that, an extra layer, humidity can get under it, y'know, nothing we can do about that, even if we did we couldn't match it with what you've got on the car now because that isn't what we gave you nor warranted, go see the cowboys that did this to your car, get them to fix it."

Happy to hear the counterpoints.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,510 Posts
My initial view of these is quite dismal, but I could be persuaded.

The reason for the dismal view is;
  • the coating is a polymer, why call it 'ceramic'?
  • changing the description of a material product = manipulating the view of the customer
  • manipulating the view of the customer = hiding something not to be admitted, limitations and such
Then;
  • if it was so good, why is it not an option from the manufacturers
  • if the manufacturers offered a 'bad paint job' so that customers's cars would 'wear out' quicker and buy another one then we'd see people swapping cars because 'my paint faded'. I have never ever heard of anyone changing their car because the paint faded, and I am thinking back to a time when paint really DID fade!
  • "Hey, dealer, I've got a problem with the paint work and it is in warranty, fix it", "Nah, sorry mate, its got that stuff on it, innit, it's that, bind to the paint, y'know, nothing we can do about that, even if we did we couldn't match it with what you've got on the car now because that isn't what we gave you nor warranted, go see the cowboys that did this to your car, get them to fix it."
  • "Hey, dealer, I've got a problem with corrosion and it is in warranty, fix it", "Nah, sorry mate, its got that stuff on it, innit, it's that, an extra layer, humidity can get under it, y'know, nothing we can do about that, even if we did we couldn't match it with what you've got on the car now because that isn't what we gave you nor warranted, go see the cowboys that did this to your car, get them to fix it."
Happy to hear the counterpoints.
Is any of this from personal experience, or just conjecture?

·
30,182 Posts
Is any of this from personal experience, or just conjecture?
Do you mean, of dealers finding any excuse to dodge a warranty claim? Oh boy .... from bitter, bitter experience!

As for being mislead about claims made, again, yup, very strongly experiential. I live in a world where people seem to have learned to lie.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,510 Posts
Do you mean, of dealers finding any excuse to dodge a warranty claim? Oh boy .... from bitter, bitter experience!

As for being mislead about claims made, again, yup, very strongly experiential. I live in a world where people seem to have learned to lie.
Specifically regards to ceramic coatings?

·
30,182 Posts
Specifically regards to ceramic coatings?
I have not used it, for the concerns above, so why would I have had it done, then asked about warranty claims?

Why are you challenging me like this? I put forward my concerns and said 'I could be persuaded'. Is this your idea of persuasion, just to berate me for an opinion?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts