Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Newly joined SpeakEV
Owned my I Pace now for 6 weeks. It's a brilliant car but the nation's infrastructure has a lot to be desired!
Everything from Ionity raising their price to just short of the price of petrol & diesel to Zapmap telling me "chargers are available" for me to discover that they just don't work (and the only way to find that out is to drive to the charger!).
One thing I've noticed though is that whilst the Jag can take both the type 2 ac as well as the CCS plugs, the chademo doesn't fit. Hence the subject title.
I see that there was much discussion here a couple of years ago on the subject but without any resolution.
Does anyone know if such a converter is now available?
I live in Scotland and frequently travel to Liverpool to visit my mum - a 250 mile trip - so any improvement to the charging options would be good to know.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Unfortunately not. You're at the mercy of the public charging infrastructure and with no access to Tesla superchargers

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
No Chademo is totally different and not just mechanically. Buy a Leaf if you want Chademo charging !

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
I see that there was much discussion here a couple of years ago on the subject but without any resolution.
The resolution was that it’s not possible, or at least not economic for anyone to make one. Indeed the Tesla Chademo adaptor was over £500 - is that something you’re willing to pay?

I suggest researching the CCS chargers that are more reliable - i.e. not the Ecotricity ones. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately not. You're at the mercy of the public charging infrastructure and with no access to Tesla superchargers
Thanks firetrax. Yeah, thought that. Your point about Tesla superchargers raises another issue.
My apologies to all Tesla owners out there but I've realised that they can use all of the public chargers but we can't use theirs. Isn't that a bit unfair or at least one sided? How's about someone doing a deal with Tesla?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The resolution was that it’s not possible, or at least not economic for anyone to make one. Indeed the Tesla Chademo adaptor was over £500 - is that something you’re willing to pay?

I suggest researching the CCS chargers that are more reliable - i.e. not the Ecotricity ones. :)
Err, no I don't want to spend 500 quid. I confess I'm not an electrical engineer so don't know the ins and outs of how these things work. It's obviously more complex than, "a chademo is a charger with a different plug, so what's the problem?" ;)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
I've realised that they can use all of the public chargers but we can't use theirs. Isn't that a bit unfair or at least one sided? How's about someone doing a deal with Tesla?
As I understand it, Tesla are open to this. Just nobody has taken up the offer yet. That may be because the other manufacturers want their own networks (some have bought into Ionity for example, and Nissan funded the chargers at dealerships, as well as some Ecotricity EH chargers too I believe etc.) or if Tesla's price or requirements are unreasonable.

The i pace seems to be getting better with chargers as a result of updates to both the car and chargers. I've seen a lot of owners on Twitter saying they are appearing the get less picky, and working with increasing levels of success even on the original DBT Brand chargers. For now though, I would probably suggest sticking to the likes of Instavolt, Fastned and Ionity despite the increased pricing if you want something most likely to work first time, every time. As long as you are otherwise doing your other charging at home and only using these expensive rapids on your longer trips, there should still be a good opportunity for savings still.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thanks firetrax. Yeah, thought that. Your point about Tesla superchargers raises another issue.
My apologies to all Tesla owners out there but I've realised that they can use all of the public chargers but we can't use theirs. Isn't that a bit unfair or at least one sided? How's about someone doing a deal with Tesla?
Tbh if you are reliant on public charging then Tesla is the best way to go currently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I understand it, Tesla are open to this. Just nobody has taken up the offer yet. That may be because the other manufacturers want their own networks (some have bought into Ionity for example, and Nissan funded the chargers at dealerships, as well as some Ecotricity EH chargers too I believe etc.) or if Tesla's price or requirements are unreasonable.

The i pace seems to be getting better with chargers as a result of updates to both the car and chargers. I've seen a lot of owners on Twitter saying they are appearing the get less picky, and working with increasing levels of success even on the original DBT Brand chargers. For now though, I would probably suggest sticking to the likes of Instavolt, Fastned and Ionity despite the increased pricing if you want something most likely to work first time, every time. As long as you are otherwise doing your other charging at home and only using these expensive rapids on your longer trips, there should still be a good opportunity for savings still.
Thanks 80698 for the tips and info.
If all new car sales from 2035(32?) HAVE to be electric, then surely standardisation is the way to go

·
Registered
17,436 Posts
Err, no I don't want to spend 500 quid. I confess I'm not an electrical engineer so don't know the ins and outs of how these things work. It's obviously more complex than, "a chademo is a charger with a different plug, so what's the problem?" ;)
They’re not just different chargers but different protocols. Some would say they were designed not to be compatible as CCS was developed as a competing standard.

It’s rather academic now as you’ve said you don’t want to pay for this hypothetical adaptor. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They’re not just different chargers but different protocols. Some would say they were designed not to be compatible as CCS was developed as a competing standard.

It’s rather academic now as you’ve said you don’t want to pay for this hypothetical adaptor. :)
In fairness, cah, I didn't say I don't want to pay, I said I don't want to pay £500. But as you say, it's hypothetical. Pity

1 - 14 of 14 Posts