Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the forum, Outlander being delivered in September and trying to get some answers on the feasibility and cost of having a Chademo/CCS unit fitted at work

from what I have seen so far I am thinking this is probably out of the question but conformation would be good.

is there any advantage to having a 3ph unit installed?

I realise the outlander is only a 16amp charge,
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the CHAdeMO/CCS units are about £50,000 each, so suspect your employer won't go for that (fantastic if they do though!)

Do you mean you want an AC charger point installed - either 16amp or 32amp (3.6kWh or 7kWh)? If you get the higher rated unit installed, then any visitors with the higher rate charger will benefit, but it won't make any difference to you.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hello and welcome. As you have indicated they are very expensive to buy and install. Some companies install 7kW 32a posts but your best bet for cost and ease of installation would be a dedicated separate fused waterproof 3 pin plug option. It's a slower charge rate of about 2kWh but your battery is only 12kW.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Don't bother with a CHAdeMO unit for the Outlander at work unless you're going to be doing lots of short local trips. The Outlander will only charge to 80% on a CHAdeMO unit, and 30% is held back by the car - so the benefit is really quite limited. If you're going to be parked up for a good few hours anyway, don't bother. You could easily install a bank of 7kW 32A units for the cost of one CHAdeMO, and if you're there long enough you'd get 100% charge.

The Outlander will charge quicker on 16A than a 3 pin plug (typically 10A limited by the unit) - however, you'll need to buy a suitable cable.

The thinking mans choice for the benefit of most EVs would be a 7kW (32A) Type 2 socket. The Outlander will only charge at 16A but other EVs will benefit greatly from 32A.

You'd need a Type 2 to Type 1 cable - typically available for around £200 or a bit less.

Sad to say it, but CHAdeMO on the Outlander is almost pointless. It adds around 22 miles at around town speed, or almost half that at motorway speeds. Its a waste of time so I only use it when I need to stop at the services anyway, and even then its a zero sum gain. The price of the coffee I buy during the 25 minute wait is greater than the fuel I'd have used to travel the 15 miles (real world) it gives me on the motorway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi, New to the forum, Outlander being delivered in September and trying to get some answers on the feasibility and cost of having a Chademo/CCS unit fitted at work

from what I have seen so far I am thinking this is probably out of the question but conformation would be good.

is there any advantage to having a 3ph unit installed?

I realise the outlander is only a 16amp charge,
Thanks
Dave
Welcome Dave
Why would you with an Outlander want a CCS rapid installed at your workplace. Workplace / destination charging is favoured by the govt and there are grants available but this would probably better suit the type 2 fast type so your Outlander would be fully charged from empty after say a morning's charge (3-4 hrs). Presumably your employer wouldn't particularly want to favour PHEVs so 7kw system would be most feasible.
Your employer to install a rapid would need to invest several thousand £ more for a rapid, so unless they see rewards in terms of commercial payback because of say city centre location probably wouldn't be very keen unless they had a particularly high CSR /Sustainability agenda. Unless of course they had an interest in selling Electricity, EVs or Rapid chargers.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Should be quite easy for them to install a 3ph Type 2, as most workplaces have access to a 3ph supply. If the car supports it, this will give a very usable 22kw of power for a fraction of the cost of DC rapid charger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for your replies you have confirmed where I had got to I just wanted to make sure I had not missed the obvious.

the 32amp unit will be the one I recommend, the same as I am doing at home to have a bit of future proofing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be quite easy for them to install a 3ph Type 2, as most workplaces have access to a 3ph supply. If the car supports it, this will give a very usable 22kw of power for a fraction of the cost of DC rapid charger.
Hi Jimbo, I will have a look at this

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You'd need a Type 2 to Type 1 cable - typically available for around £200 or a bit less.
They are now available even cheaper at £165 inc vat with free delivery from Here
You can also get a cable bag for £5 from Here

Reactions: Dave Court

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They are now available even cheaper at £165 inc vat with free delivery from Here
You can also get a cable bag for £5 from Here
They're very good btw - that's the one I have. Cable locking feature on the cable is a good idea as the Outlander has no facility to lock the connector to the car. Not that I've used it, but if the neighbourhood goes downhill you know.... :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts