Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm a 62 Leaf owner. I read the recent CCS Charging Network post with interest on here recently, but of course this is largely irrelevant to me. Driving on the continent is something we've done in an ICE and will want to do again in an EV and I'm interested to know what people's experiences are of Chademo through France especially, but the near continent in general. It's a topic that comes up occasionally on the forums, but not regarding Chademo specifically nor on the longer range Leaf battery. I see that Chademo is not as well served as CCS and so touring is therefore discouraged by some, but a summer range of about 200 miles ought to get us between most places (even with the hardware demise of the French corri-door). Also a closer look at Chargemap (the app/network most highly recommended by @electricfelix.com ) shows that there are still plenty of Chademo units out there in Europe. So have any European Chad drivers and tourists got recent-ish experiences and advice to share please?

I have a couple of initial questions. The first is for you @electricfelix.com . I've really enjoyed reading your website and your tips. The road trips you've done all seem to be in CCS cars. Is that right? If so, do you have any plans for a Chademo trip (post lockdown, of course)? Secondly, those rip-off merchants trading as Ionity, they don't do Chademo in the UK (not bitter, honest) and when you go to their website and click on their continental stations, they also only list CCS. However Chargemap lists one Chademo unit at each of the European stations. Which is true, do mainland European Ionity stations do Chademo or not?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
272 Posts
my advice here is make sure you get a kiwhi pass for France. Unfortunately the website makes this difficult for none French nationals to order since when you change the dept number on the online form it breaks and so there is a knack to it.

see here for details KiWhi pass -- recently signed up ?

anyway when we were last passing through i charged my 2011 leaf at an Auchun but I had to borrow the store's card from the security office using my passport as a deposit. Clearly not something you can do if the store is closed.

France is an oddball with the charging as kiwhi seems to be so prevalent (or at least it seems that way).

My advice for continental travel is get as many rfid cards for the required countries before you go as it will only increase your options and decrease the chance you mind end up in the mire. AA seemed to have a good page on this.

I hate to think what the post brexit european travel will be like now, whether mainland Europeans will be more anlgophilic/phobic.

No experience with ionity though sorry

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
199 Posts
Following this thread as we're taking our Leaf 40 to France this summer (covid permitting). Although our campsite is only 160miles from ferry. So far I've got Chargemap and Plugsurf tags / accounts.

Chargemap seems to cover most chargers I've looked at. With the Leaf40/62 you still have the back up of type 2 charging, albeit slow charge, as backup.

Reactions: DuRam

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
199 Posts
Thanks for the link.

A couple of things I'd like to note with this. This video is from 2 years ago and travelling in depths of winter with 2 degree weather and rain. Also I can see if you are relying solely on rapid chargers and travelling from Holland to Bordeaux in a day the failure of one or two is going to cause an issue. As a side note 100miles range from an Ioniq seems a little low to me, like to know why efficiency was so low.

For us personally, we need 2 x stretches of 80 miles in france so I think we'll risk it! It'll be an adventure! 😀

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a couple of initial questions. The first is for you @electricfelix.com . I've really enjoyed reading your website and your tips. The road trips you've done all seem to be in CCS cars. Is that right? If so, do you have any plans for a Chademo trip (post lockdown, of course)? Secondly, those rip-off merchants trading as Ionity, they don't do Chademo in the UK (not bitter, honest) and when you go to their website and click on their continental stations, they also only list CCS. However Chargemap lists one Chademo unit at each of the European stations. Which is true, do mainland European Ionity stations do Chademo or not?

Many thanks.
Hi DuRam,
Nearly all IONITY stations in France have to have CHAdeMO by law (just one plug though). You can easily check this using the Chargemap app (a must have RFID for France too).
I expect you have seen my French EV guide, it will be updated before summer. If you sign up on my Patreon page I can help you with a personal travel plan whenever you feel like it. I do hope to have a CHAdeMO adventure myself in France too, it's one of the best countries to go to with CHAdeMO because NISSAN is very popular and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi DuRam,
Nearly all IONITY stations in France have to have CHAdeMO by law (just one plug though). You can easily check this using the Chargemap app (a must have RFID for France too).
I expect you have seen my French EV guide, it will be updated before summer. If you sign up on my Patreon page I can help you with a personal travel plan whenever you feel like it. I do hope to have a CHAdeMO adventure myself in France too, it's one of the best countries to go to with CHAdeMO because NISSAN is very popular and has been for a long time.
Thanks. I've seen your guide, it's very useful. Looking forward to reading about a Chademo adventure sometime. That's a great fact about French Ionity. If only they were similarly obliged re Chademo in this country.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've steered clear of France as the network for Chademo there seems a bit patchy with some big gaps. However I've done quite a bit of EV driving in the Netherlands. Loads of Type 2 sockets around although not all worked with either Chargemap or NewMotion despite supposedly being on those networks. Fortunately no problem with rapid charging due to a fairly good spread of Fastned and also Lidl came in handy although they don't have that many rapids around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts