Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1117 Posts

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@dpeilow started a thread on teslamotorsclub.com a few months back asking about the progress for CHAdeMO adapter work that Quick Charge Power was doing on Tesla Roadster. Tony Williams of Quick Charge Power just successfully created a product to add CHAdeMO to the 2nd Generation Toyota RAV 4 EV and spent over a month traveling around the US and adding it to RAV4s all over the US. For some strange reason, it has been reported on THAT thread that Tony is blocked from posting on TMC, so I invited him over here to communicate this project with the community!

He has had a Tesla Roadster 1.5 in his shop to get to the next phase of CHAdeMO enablement and will start working on 2.0/2.5 as well. I found out from other TMC members that he is unable to post there, so I invited him to post here for folks with Roadsters who may be interested in public posts on this project.

He is taking deposits (as he did with the RAV4 project) for interested parties to fund the adaptation of the JdeMO from 2nd Generation Toyota RAV4 EV to Roadster. At this moment, this looks like a US project, but who knows, he might be convinced to take a European trip and install JdeMO to interested UK Roadster owners in the future.

Besides, I don't think @Paul and my fellow mods will look unkindly on Tony and his attempts to communicate with the EV community. If he doesn't get enough Roadster folks, next EV on his list is the Mercedes Benz B Class electric (the Tesla based one) and then I think I heard the Ford Focus EV.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi fellow EV owners! I'm the guy who was kicked off the Tesla Motors Club forum, but I'll be happy to answer any questions about this project.

Here's my Curriculum Vitae:

1) Profession: Airline Pilot / Manager - I was based in London all last summer / autumn, flying a private Challenger 850. Last professional flight Oct 2014, London Stanstead airport through Iceland to Windsor Locks, Connecticut, USA.

2) EVoasis - CTO, investor. Co-owner of the first DC charger on the ChargePoint network (largest network of EV car charging in the US).

3) Quick Charge Power - Co-Founder, R&D Manager
www.QuickChargePower.com
J-Plug, the J1772 (Type 1) plug and cable assembly
JLong, the J1772 (Type 1)extension cord solution
JESLA, the 40 amp J1772 (Type 1) portable charging solution
JAMP JR, the low cost J1772 (Type 1) charging solution
JDapter, the future Tesla HPWC / UMC adaptor to J1772 (Type1) adaptor
JdeMO, the DC quick charging solution for your EV

4) All Electric Vehicle Rally - Founder, Rally Organizer, Participant
BC2BC-2014, 1500 Miles from Mexico to Canada
http://www.AllElectricVehicleRally.org

I was the first person to drive an electric car from Mexico to Canada (June 20, 2012), and the first person to drive the length of the West Coast Electric Highway through Oregon (12 hours) and Washington state (13 hours)

In July 2013, I was the first person to drive the Toyota RAV4 EV from Canada to Mexico.

5) EV range testing - Administrator, Author:

http://insideevs.com/all-the-results-from-the-largest-independent-test-of-nissan-leafs-with-lost-capacity-not-instrument-failure/

The Results From Independent Test Of Nissan LEAFs With Lost Capacity. Not All Instrument Failure

http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-2013-nissan-leaf-range-vs-2012-nissan-leaf-range/

Real World Test: 2013 Nissan LEAF Range vs 2012 Nissan LEAF Range (w/Video)

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-side-by-side-range-comparison-2012-vs-2013/

LEAF Side by Side Range Comparison: 2012 vs 2013

http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-chevy-spark-ev-has-substainally-more-range-than-nissan-leaf-62-mph-wvideo/

Real-World Test Shows Chevy Spark EV Has Substantially More Range Than Nissan LEAF @ 62 mph (w/video)

6) Official Nissan LEAF Advisory Board- founding member, no longer active

7) Next San Diego EVent - organizer, bimonthly EV meetings, in our fourth year

8) EV1 Electric Powered Off-Road Race Buggy - consultant and grease monkey
First electric vehicle to compete in the Mexican 1000.

9) EV owner - 2011 Nissan LEAF (25,000 miles, sold), 2012 LEAF (11,000 miles, sold), current 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV (56,000 miles), 2014 Rav4 EV (15,000 miles, company car), 2015 Tesla Model S-70D (24,000 miles in 5 months). I just drove the Tesla from coast-to-coast USA, and north-to-south... 12,000 miles.

10) 100% solar powered house since 2011.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
R&D Manager
Quick Charge Power LLC
TonyWilliams (((@))) QuickChargePower.com
www.QuickChargePower.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EVPARTS
1-844-387-2787 ext 701

·
Registered
621 Posts
From reading the website it looks like a Tesla centre can fit it so do numerous UK orders actually need to be made before it can be rolled out over here or not?

I'm definitely interested...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would fly to London if there were ten Roadsters with paid deposits. Otherwise, any EV certified shop should be able to do the work, including a Tesla Service Center. Getting the Service Center to actually do it might be a bit more difficult.

We are shipping two JdeMO kits to Norway on Monday (it's already Monday there!) for the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV. Another Roadster owner in Norway is keen to check out their install.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
473 Posts
I prefer somebody local and both "hands on" knowledgable about the Roadster, and also knowledgeable about the deadly effects of high voltage.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I prefer somebody local and both "hands on" knowledgable about the Roadster, and also knowledgeable about the deadly effects of high voltage.
Check the link from the previous post. The guy Neil is an ex Tesla Roadster guy in the UK.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yup, he gave my car a full service and was at tesla in the roadster days so knows the cars and all that goes with them.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,926 Posts
Hi @TonyWilliams glad to see you on this forum and thanks to @Dennis for taking the initiative to start this thread.

This is the best Roadster news I've heard all year. I'd much rather spend $3k on a CHAdeMO upgrade than 10x that on a large battery that might get fully used once a year.

If you manage to get a UK or nearby European installer arranged then I am definitely in. Have you also communicated this to the German community? There are a lot of guys there that like to tinker with and upgrade their Roadsters so it's bound to be a big market.

By the way, on the 2.x cars can you use the space over the left wheelarch to house the equipment? I agree with those that say it would be better if we can come up with a solution that doesn't require the boot/trunk to be left open, perhaps routing the charger cable out over that wheelarch when the lid is closed would be a reasonable compromise.

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As a JdeMO equipped Rav4 EV owner I have to say this product has been an amazing. I am practically CHAdeMO jumping across the NYC metro area daily, the product is top shelf quality great job Tony Williams!
Welcome to SpeakEV @Airton Azevedo

Still waiting for you to visit me in California. After my visit to you in New Jersey!

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Militant EV driver!
4,926 Posts
I'm also thinking we could partner it with one of these for the ultimate flexible charging solution on the road. http://design-werk.ch/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/MDC22_E.pdf

Come to think of it, QC Power's technique of bypassing the PEM would allow 3 phase charging to be built in to the car - e.g. via a Brusa charger with some CAN control electronics between it and the Tesla PEM.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Argh, these charging solutions are getting exciting!!!
I am certain I would go for the Chademo upgrade for the Roadster. a 22kW three phase option would be so awesome as well.
Chademo is a massive option though, way way more helpful than £20k on a slightly bigger battery...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello to All,

This upgrade would be awesome, and something I would be very interested in installing for people as part of a new 'EV Skunkworks' venture!

Along with a few more simple upgrades, range could also be dramatically extended, making the Roadster a very usable sportscar.

If we can get enough interest going, I'm very happy to support.

Neil Wise

1 - 20 of 1117 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
36 Participants
dpeilow
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing