Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's happened. Nissan are to launch their new Ariya with CCS in the US and Europe.

So that just leaves the current Leaf and Outlander PHEV as the only vehicle you can buy with Chademo. The Leaf will likely be EOL'd in the next couple of years.

Now we can start reading stories about how Chademo was the new Betamax. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to say this is good news for long term EV adoption. The network needs simplifying and a single standard is the first step towards a more viable option for non EV enthusiasts. Chademo will be around for a long while yet to support existing users so it shouldn't be a problem for Leaf owners.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of puts a nail in the coffin for any potential Leaf buyer though?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kind of puts a nail in the coffin for any potential Leaf buyer though?
Agreed. I wouldn't be buying a leaf now unless I was sure of my usage pattern. The 64Kw would cover 99 percent of my journeys with one charge at home anyhow. It's the older ones for long journeys which may become problematic going forward.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kind of indicates that V2G or V2H is not a priority for now - at least in Europe. CCS are some way from a standard for that yet. Anyone know if the Ariya will come with Chademo elsewhere in the world?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Surely adding CCS on the current Leaf for a midlife refresh wouldn't be too expensive to engineer? If they already have a control module for the Aryia, then it would just be a case a new molding and socket in the charge port?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Should get interesting with the Jap import scene and EVs...

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Who knows, they may offer it here with a choice of Chademo or CCS.
Personally from what i can see CCS is the worse standard and has basically come into favour from the amount of Model 3's using it and the germans pushing Ionity.

If chademo had got the higher output units rolling out sooner we would likely be in a different story but its now going to cause more issues down the line with loads of eejits plugging into the Type2 at rapids and complaining about charging speed and the same ones wandering off and knobbling rapids due to CCS being locked onto the car.

With the amount of Chademo points in the UK it is a shame that Nissan have gone this way.

To those saying about the death of the Leaf... Look to the Zoe for your answer on that one as they haven't dropped like rocks in price since newer Rapid chargers stopped having AC on offer have they ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
The writing has been on the wall for Chademo in Europe for a while. If you look at Zapmap statistics there have been more CCS chargers going in than Chademo for a couple of years, the charging networks have clearly been thinking of a CCS future for a while.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
A retrograde step moving the charging port to the side IMO, judging by the number of posts I have seen where a side port causes access problems. The positioning of the Leaf's port at the front is ideal, being central to the parking space.
But the most dangerous position from a parking safety, and most vulnerable position for even a minor accident. Rapid charger cables need to be longer, that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
But the most dangerous position from a parking safety, and most vulnerable position for even a minor accident. Rapid charger cables need to be longer, that's an easy fix.
Not an easy fix when you see the cost of them and especially the cooled high power ones....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts