·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the rapid charger in Waitrose Abingdon :
- is still there
- is still operational
- requires a card
- is still protected via cones (from ICEing)

I nearly went there on saturday after learning M4/A34 ecotricity chievely was down (the report came in about an hour after I'd used the point successfully!) but not knowing the status I took the safer option of coming back south via membury albeit a lot further trip.

I don't trust any answers from waitrose OR chargemaster so wondering if anyone has ACTUALLY used it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I commute from Oxford to Didcot and have considered dropping in on this one, although now my chargemaster membership has expired I haven't bothered.
I'd be interested to know if anyone does use it though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a nice backup if running short and end up with multiple points around oxford down (in my case chievely was first choice as I was going south but Abingdon was only 5 miles from start). In business hours it can take 10-20 mins to get in/out of Abingdon though, and whilst I have some confidence in ecotricity telling me status and generally the bays (in service areas) generally not suffering from too much ICEing, neither of these apply there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My only experience with chargemaster points has been the type 2 charger at Didcot Sainsburys and it is 90% of the time ICED in both bays. Pointless, that swung it for me not to renew my card, that and the outrageous charges!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
It is still there. It is usually operational though I haven't checked since my Chargemaster card expired. I don't believe it requires a card, but as a volt owner I can't use it myself, only the adjacent polar post.
There is usually at least one cone, often there are two. I haven't seen the rapid charge spot iced any time recently though it is sometimes occupied (even by myself when the other spot was iced).
If anyone is thinking of using it and wants to ping me a day or two before, I can usually go past and check the status and if required let the store know if it is dead.
The Didcot charger isn't marked at all and is generally iced by about 9am. I used it a couple of times when I had dental appointments in Didcot but now it costs money it has to all intents simply ceased to exist.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I used this in March going to Southampton.

Not that easy to find the Waitrose with the one way system.

Was working to start. No card needed. But stopped at 68% with a fault code. Rebooting did not help. Seems an older charger.

There are type 2 posts next to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts