Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've recently written an article which looks at the current limitations of electric cars, as well as how it affects potential new buyers and whether or not it is sustainable for the entire planet to run Electric Cars at the moment. I'd love to get some thoughts from other electric car owners, and if there any potential solutions to the problems that I'm not aware of ?

This is the article: https://www.inter-citycouriers.co.uk/challenges-electric-vehicle-production-can-we-beat-pumps

It's a relatively quick read, and I would really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the content.

Thanks
Joey

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
You have firmly nailed your colours to the anti-EV mast in that article, so expect a fairly negative response.

I'd suggest that you check a few of your "facts" in your article - what is the cut-off date for the sale of ICE vehicles in the UK, the cost of installing a charge point and what type, and the issue regarding the suggestion that the grid cannot cope.

There are lots of solutions to all of your "problems", but perhaps consider the unsustainability of the current pattern of ICE usage and how the usage of your company is atypical to the average car owner.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Hey guys,

I've recently written an article which looks at the current limitations of electric cars, as well as how it affects potential new buyers and whether or not it is sustainable for the entire planet to run Electric Cars at the moment. I'd love to get some thoughts from other electric car owners, and if there any potential solutions to the problems that I'm not aware of ?

This is the article: https://www.inter-citycouriers.co.uk/challenges-electric-vehicle-production-can-we-beat-pumps

It's a relatively quick read, and I would really appreciate any feedback or thoughts on the content.

Thanks
Joey
Oh dear, oh dear.
I'm presuming you don't have much experience of EVs?
Let me just knock up some half arsed article giving all the negatives of petrol and diesel vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best selling car in the UK is the Tesla Model 3 which is an all-electric saloon car.
That was true in April 2020, but was a bit of a special case.

Gave up reading after that, as per @dk6780's observation, I couldn't cope with the sniping negativity. Not objective at all. Have you driven a modern EV for any length of time?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Oh dear 22kW chargers for the home, the rarest of beasts as that requires a 3 phase supply - almost unheard of, 22kW are industrial units. Normal 7kW units run from £180 + fitting.
Someone has not been doing their research and is obviously cherry picking anything to give a bad impression of EV's.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We now know that properly managed EV Lithium batteries can do several hundred thousand miles and will probably outlive the life of the vehicle. They can then be recycled to provide domestic or commercial standby power.
The National Grid have done extensive studies to demonstrate that the power requirements will not overwhelm the grid, particularly as off-peak charging will be very popular.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This article has had absolutely no research behind it at all and the content really isn't worthy of comment. For example it says:

"Although a huge effort is being made to generate Electricity from Solar Fields, Tidal & Wind Farms, the majority of Energy is still generated in a conventional Coal-fired power station."

It's not really hard to find out how much of the UK's energy is generated from coal and it isn't even close to "the majority of energy". (The article is on a UK web site so I assume you're talking about the UK here).

(The figure is 2.2% over the last year and virtually nothing over the last month).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,684 Posts
Come on, you have to give him points for audacity: coming with an anti-EV article to an EV forum! The OP obviously has some brass... or at least copper "contacts". :devilish:

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,276 Posts
It's pure clickbait. It's not even well written.

Reactions: Spiny

·
Registered
360 Posts
This article has had absolutely no research behind it at all and the content really isn't worthy of comment. For example it says:..
Thanks for saving me the effort of reading it.. Maybe it was a lockdown project for a 4th former, with poor research skills..

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think your battery technology needs some more research, the next battery technology is probably going to be solid electrolyte, or silicon based anodes. I haven't read much about Magnesium. Lithium isn't that rare, there are some spectacular reserves in South America with good concentrations that make them the first choice for mining. There are plenty of other sources they will just take a bit more money to extract the lithium salts and purify them but they are all economic. There is talk of extracting mine water from old Cornish tin mines which contains reasonable amounts of lithium. Lithium has been falling in price despite the usage going up. Cobalt is the expensive material in Lithium ion batteries but there are re-formulations being developed that don't need it.

Battery life in cars is very good. Unlike your phone where they squeeze every drop of capacity out of a cell at the expense of lifetime. The battery management on EV's treats them gently and as a result the degradation is minimised and they are expected to out live the cars. The cost of batteries is coming down rapidly and price parity with Internal combustion engines is expected in 2025.

Coal is no longer the UK's dominant source of electricity in the UK, it's renewables. In fact no coal generation has taken place for the last 5 weeks. Over the last few months there has been a little coal use but that's just to use up the existing stock of coal at the power stations. When it's used up the plan is to close the power stations. Most EV drivers charge their cars in the off peak hours overnight when the electricity is at it's greenest. Many of us use green tariffs where the electricity that we are sold only comes from green source.

The number of chargers is rising all the time. take a look at Zap Map statistics which shows statistics for the number of chargers in the UK. Remember that the number of electric cars is still a small percentage of all vehicles and that the ratio of chargers to cars is broadly static, more cars support more chargers.

There are many new models coming soon. If you can't find an EV that suits, there might well be one in the near future.

You didn't mention some of the big positives like more passenger space in the same size car as the engine compartment doesn't need to be as big. The battery means a more even weight distribution and means that rear wheel drive is practical without the need for a big drive shaft tunnel. no smell, less noise, no gear change, instant torque.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks
Joey
"2015 called and wants its FUD back" ?

If you are going to write an article on something, a good plan would be to
a) get informed about the current state of it, notw hat you thought it was 5 years ago
b) dont start it with two paragraphs of ill informed rubbish
d) dont just write about what the problems are, look to see if there are solutions

I didnt bother with the rest beyond the opening page, and I'm not going to since I'm sure Brandolini’s law applies. (OK, I peeked, and it does)
But as a quick reposte;

Or, in other words, its happening right now.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Please please read how to write an informed article, evaluate research with a critical mind and simply reference your material.

Your whole little article is nothing more than an “open letter” of an individuals personal feelings on ev’s someone with no insight at all nor ability to reflect on ideas.

You quote some random EV prices but the comparison you are drawing is not like for like. Tesla is a luxury brand, and there is a huge market of affordable new and used EV’s.

You even state that calculations are needed on the ongoing fuel cost...... well I,ll do the maths for you, I can drive 100 miles for about £3. This saving in both fuel and tax and ongoing maintenance easily tips the balance in favour of EV’s.

You appear to be a courier company that does not seem to be able to see the opportunity under your noses in the increased profit margins of employing EV’s in your fleet.

I cannot see the point in the article as it does not educate as provides no facts, it’s akin to people stating “they say” when spouting some old wives tale.

I’m still unconvinced it’s a serious article , rather some year 8 project over lockdown their dad has published on the company site to pass some coursework.

:unsure:

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
It isn't clear what the relationship is between the writer and the courier company. Could be an in-house scribbler as there are other 'news' pieces on the website that are more relevant to the operation. One relates to clean air zones in Leeds and Birmingham where they are proud to announce that their fossil-fueled vans comply with emission standards.

If they are so 'green' perhaps the writer could have made a name for themselves by showing how a few eVans could save the company £shedloads in fuel and servicing costs and still cover many of their tasks within a 50 miles circle of Hinckley. Check how many local trips could be handled by a modest Nissan e-NV200. Make a case. Collect a bonus for saving cash. It would only take a slight amount of research and produce a positive article. We would even help to produce the evidence.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts