Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a truth universally acknowledged that the most highly valued attribute of EVs is their ability to crush all ICE opposition in the Traffic Light GP. So I'd be interested to establish conclusively, based upon published or measured statistics, the top ten order of finishers, if all widely-used and forthcoming EVs and PHEVs were to take part in a drag race from 0-30.

Simply because I'm considering all three, I'm particularly interested to know how an i3 REx would compare with an A3 e-tron running in e-tron mode, and with Golf GTE in GTE mode. But I think we'd all like to know who would come second and third after the inevitable, all-powerful Teslas.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It is a truth universally acknowledged that the most highly valued attribute of EVs is their ability to crush all ICE opposition in the Traffic Light GP. So I'd be interested to establish conclusively, based upon published or measured statistics, the top ten order of finishers, if all widely-used and forthcoming EVs and PHEVs were to take part in a drag race from 0-30.

Simply because I'm considering all three, I'm particularly interested to know how an i3 REx would compare with an A3 e-tron running in e-tron mode, and with Golf GTE in GTE mode. But I think we'd all like to know who would come second and third after the inevitable, all-powerful Teslas.
Robert Llewellyn tried an i3 BEV against a high end Beemer (M3) n a press day drag race (I recall him commenting about the "Many Tailpipes"!) the i3 handily beat the ICE..
go to 8:20 for the "drag race"..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Robert Llewellyn tried an i3 BEV against a high end Beemer (M3) n a press day drag race (I recall him commenting about the "Many Tailpipes"!) the i3 handily beat the ICE..
go to 8:20 for the "drag race"..
Mmm in the wet through.
EVs are even better at battering ICEs in those conditions as the EV is much smoother with the power delivery.
Or so I'm told :p
In dry - it's closer but still pretty impressive from the i3.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The real question is what mileage will you get out of your front tyres on an EV if you want to frequently get away from the lights as urgently as a Bluebottle wants to get off a sticky flypaper?

I suspect you'd be looking at front boots that never reach five figure mileages... :p
Worth every single penny :)

Reactions: mcscarb

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The real question is what mileage will you get out of your front tyres on an EV if you want to frequently get away from the lights as urgently as a Bluebottle wants to get off a sticky flypaper?

I suspect you'd be looking at front boots that never reach five figure mileages... :p
Surprised nobody's mentioned me yet.

I'd say around 8k miles or so... :oops:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had an ICER seriously underestimate my LEAF today. At a set of traffic lights where 2 lanes merge into one he pulled up alongside me in some kind of mercedes. He seriously struggled to overtake, I actually had to slow down to let him overtake cos we nearly ran out of road. He learnt his lesson!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I was intrigued by this so I had a quick dig:
this http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2524 includes a Mk1 leaf & Volt times in 10mph increments in 5th post.
and here http://www.torquestats.com/ you can pick a "performance" ICE and see it's 10mph increments under "see full details".
Not much use in selecting traffic light victims though. I'm thinking the best weapon is surprise...

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was intrigued by this so I had a quick dig:
this http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2524 includes a Mk1 leaf & Volt times in 10mph increments in 5th post.
and here http://www.torquestats.com/ you can pick a "performance" ICE and see it's 10mph increments under "see full details".
Not much use in selecting traffic light victims though. I'm thinking the best weapon is surprise...
This is great -- we now have two data points for 0-30mph: Leaf 3.0 seconds, Volt 3.1 seconds

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 0-30 ability for my Mk 1 Leaf is great for joining traffic when I've been to Macdonalds in Blyth. Very small gap in traffic required

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The really important time is 30 to 50 for overtakes.
Not sure I agree with that. When I'm on a faster road I'd tend to be going faster than 30, and when on a slower road the limit will be 30 or 40.

On the other hand, the torque curve being flat does allow a really good level of control and predictability when it comes to over taking, which is a very good thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Car and Driver gave the following numbers for 0-30:
Chev Spark - 3.2 sec.
Ford Focus - 2.8
Honda Fit - 4.0
Leaf - 3.1
Fiat 500e - 3.4
Smart Fortwo ED - 3.1

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are interested in 0 - 60 times, Car and Driver magazine gave the following:
Spark - 7.9 sec.
Focus - 8.7
Fit - 10.1
Leaf - 8.5
500e - 10.2
Smart ED - 9.8

1 - 20 of 39 Posts