Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 3.5 years of enjoying my A3 etron i decided it was time for a change after 27k miles.

As audi decided to abandon the plug in hybrid and not even offer a conventional hybrid it was time to move on (25 years of audi loyalty)

I also felt audi lost the plot with mmi connect which was -in my opinion- a shambles.

So after some research and a visit to the toyota dealer for a test drive i settled for a corola excel 2L hybrid.

In some ways i will miss the old etron but cars dont last forever so its onwards and upwards.

If the government ever manage to coordinate the battery charging inferstructure without being ripped off by people absorbing grants and freebies one day we may get an electrical mobilised nation but it needs people who understand what is required by the consumer to provide direction and legislation.

So thank you all on speakev which has helped me understand the world of electric propulsion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Good choice. I want one of those - the 86.5MPG is the best bit - and you are welcome even though we have never spoken lol :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good choice. I want one of those - the 86.5MPG is the best bit - and you are welcome even though we have never spoken lol :)
Dont think the 2L will get 86mpg but will post figures after a few months.
The etron was more economical as i used around £200 worth of electric a year but mpg in hybrid hold mode it was not brilliant. I have kept all the figures on mileage and fuel cost so will post the results when done.

One big deciding factor to change brands was audi have dropped the hybrid range and are either all electric or all dinosaur juice.
So where will the expertise be in audi service centres for the a3 etron hybrid?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Out of interest , why not another car in the Toyota stable, the Prius-PlugIn ?
Isn't it having a 36mile WTPL range ?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Toyota Hybrid cars struggle to go over the 55mpg. and that's all of them (except the ridiculous Aygo hybrid :))
27k miles in 3 years means 750 miles a month which in turn would be a daily journey of under 35 miles.
I would seriously consider going EV...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A
Toyota Hybrid cars struggle to go over the 55mpg. and that's all of them (except the ridiculous Aygo hybrid :))
27k miles in 3 years means 750 miles a month which in turn would be a daily journey of under 35 miles.
I would seriously consider going EV...
My mileage is split 3 ways.
Roughly
Short 5miles a day for 60% of year
Medium 35 miles a day 10% of year
Long 500 miles over 14 days 40% of year
Long has no opportunity to plug in and charge. So i am running pure hybrid for 5k miles and carrying large battery around.
EV would be extremely risky on long journeys especially in cold weather.

Deal done today so will post etron stats shortly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Out of interest , why not another car in the Toyota stable, the Prius-PlugIn ?
Isn't it having a 36mile WTPL range ?
Prius was a bit too big.
Plug in not suitable for me as most mileage is pure hybrid with no plug in capability.
See above

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ah
But i dont work
Retired and now dont get holidays,weekends off, bank holidays, sick days or overtime pay.
Well, one more reason to go full EV. less money spent in fuel, you don't need to rush to go anywhere so you can take your time to charge and no gears to shift. ;)

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,620 Posts
Long has no opportunity to plug in and charge.
Where on earth are your long journeys that there's literally absolutely no opportunity to plug in?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, one more reason to go full EV. less money spent in fuel, you don't need to rush to go anywhere so you can take your time to charge and no gears to shift. ;)
Thanks for your considered suggestion.

When you get to your 70s time is even more precious as a % of you time left on earth. So hanging around for a charge is not for me. If i could guarantee a good 5minute top up charge every time i have a convenience stop (every hour!) that wold be fine.

PS
PHEVs dont have manual gears

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where on earth are your long journeys that there's literally absolutely no opportunity to plug in?
Its a 150 trip to the wilds of North Wales,
200 whilst there and 150 back
When there the nearest public charge point, if working, is 12 miles away. Destination charging is out as the car is 50 yards from the nearest domestic supply which would struggle to supply more than 8 amps and need the cable running over a public place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts