Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, in a quandary, so I am considering a change fro. My Tesla M 3, to an egolf and money back in the hipper.

so I have just returned from egolf test drive and can say suitably impressed. Car was registered last week 92 miles on it, 110 by the i was finished, extras active info and heat pump. Price £27,899 do folk think this is decent Price vs spec?

also range 144 max charge? Was horrified to see about near 15 miles disappear when I fired the aircon on.
I did have a gte 2 years ago so it was going back to vw build which I did like.

thanks all.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
528 Posts
You will seriously miss the range of the Tesla. Don't know if you spend much time on motorways but you'll be exceptionally lucky to get 100 miles out of the eGolf at any reasonable speed. It's quite a step down, no matter what M3 you currently have, and charging will be a magnitude slower too. Price seems high to me, given the ultra cheap lease deals around on eGolfs.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
I’m not sure I’d be sinking that kind of money into an e-Golf now. I purchased mine new July 2019 for just less than £25k, albeit with no heat pump.

If it’s a money saving/grabbing exercise though, there are worse EVs to own, but maybe look at used or the likes of a Zoe etc?

The range is fine for me, 115-120 miles on a motorway at 70 even in winter, and around 140-145 this time of year, a bit more in mixed driving.

Depends how you plan to use it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’m currently getting 180 on a full charge, but very good weather so I expect lower in autumn. the heat pump will extend the range in winter and I havnt had a winter yet!

If you can get the heated seats option they will heat the cabin much cheaper and so extend the range. However once you get used to the short range/city car mentality which was new to me as well, the air con power demand is fine. Recharging at 50% is just a habit to get into. But also make sure you charge from home at midnight/12:30 as often as possible. It was £1.60 for me last night from 40% to 100%.

i paid £22k with a £5k deposit, 0% finance. Pump, heated seats/winter pack. Didn’t get active display.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Snax thats all pretty good, £27k for brand new? I would prefer the heated seats tbh, was strange no keyless as had that for my past 3 cars! 180 ain’t bad. For the amount of times a longer journey is considered. Appreciate that, cheers 👍😁

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will seriously miss the range of the Tesla. Don't know if you spend much time on motorways but you'll be exceptionally lucky to get 100 miles out of the eGolf at any reasonable speed. It's quite a step down, no matter what M3 you currently have, and charging will be a magnitude slower too. Price seems high to me, given the ultra cheap lease deals around on eGolfs.
Hmm I used to pre Covid about 26 each way dual carriageway I currently have an Sr+ with 19” alloys. Cheers

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
If you want to save money, do check out a new Zoe. Pretty much the same range as your Tesla. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not sure I’d be sinking that kind of money into an e-Golf now. I purchased mine new July 2019 for just less than £25k, albeit with no heat pump.

If it’s a money saving/grabbing exercise though, there are worse EVs to own, but maybe look at used or the likes of a Zoe etc?

The range is fine for me, 115-120 miles on a motorway at 70 even in winter, and around 140-145 this time of year, a bit more in mixed driving.

Depends how you plan to use it?
Thanks @Tooks gives me some food for thought. I used to do around 1100 miles per month ish. Now I don’t see any time more than 50 a week! Reckon home based for some time to come and even if I did go to the office only part time, returned trip 55 miles a day 🤔

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
528 Posts

80 miles motorway range in the winter. Slightly more with the heat pump but it's not going to bring it back up to 100. You'll do your daily commute no problem but you'll probably have to charge it every day to be confident. People may well see 180 miles range written on the dash, sometimes, but you can bet you won't hit that unless you're doing stop start for six hours with no heating or a/c.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

80 miles motorway range in the winter. Slightly more with the heat pump but it's not going to bring it back up to 100. You'll do your daily commute no problem but you'll probably have to charge it every day to be confident. People may well see 180 miles range written on the dash, sometimes, but you can bet you won't hit that unless you're doing stop start for six hours with no heating or a/c.
Thanks for this, 80 is low me thinks, although pretty sure I was charging my tesla once every 2 days last winter. Summer is a different ball game. 🤔😕

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
80 is absolutely worst case in my experience, you’d need to be driving well over the motorway speed limit to get that.

Last winter I was getting 3.8 miles per kWh on the A1 through single figure temps and wet roads, heated seats and heated screen on. I don’t have the heat pump, you’d likely achieve the same but with free reign on the heating side.

My round work trip is just under 80 miles across A roads, average speed about 50 mph, it does that kind of journey standing on its head in any weather.

@Jayne on here has been using hers all through the Scottish winters, if I remember correctly she has the heat pump too.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'd struggle to get down to 80 miles range, that's close by 2.5 miles/kWh. I average that on my way home from work, but that's from a cold start over a 6 mile commute climbing 240(ish) metres over a couple of miles at 70mph on dual carriageway. Even in the depths of winter, in blizzard like conditions, with the car preheated off battery having been sitting out in a subzero car park for 13 hours I don't think I went under 2 miles/kWh for that commute.

Unless you're someone who thinks the speed limit doesn't apply to you then you'll get closer to 100 miles on motorway driving, not 80.

I've just looked back over my long term averages. On Car-net/We connect these are calculated for every 100 hours driving. I've done just over 30k miles total.

In summer, on stock tyres, I was about 4.5 miles/kWh. Assuming 30 kWh useable (to make the sums simpler and be pessimistic about range) that's 135 miles.

I changed to Michelin Cross Climates in autumn. Over winter my lowest long term average was 3.5 miles/kWh, about 105 miles.

Summer on the Cross Climates has been 4.0 miles/kWh, about 120miles. But thanks to covid a good chunk of that is my very unrepresentative commute (today I was 7.1 miles/kWh there, 2.6 miles/kWh home.)

I have the heat pump and winter pack. I believe in having a comfortable temperature, meaning heating in winter and cooling in summer. I drive to the speed limit where appropriate and don't try too hard to be efficient. I'm certainly no boy (well, girl) racer though. I live in hilly places with free moving traffic, so know my efficiency is way lower than some folk who live in areas of England that are flat as a pancake who have long, slow, congested commutes.

If I'd had a car with Tesla type range I don't think I could go back to eGolf range, despite how much I love my eGolf. But that's because in non covid times I regularly drive long distances.

I can't really comment on price. I got mine new for about £22k (ordered Sep 17, got Apr 18), but that was with a £5.5k scrappage deal and £4.5k PICG. So my opinion on prices has always been skewed because I got such an amazing deal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Jayne so nice to hear your unbiased opinion and truly helpful rundown. Sounds like you got a bargain at the time. 👍 I averaged 4.3 in the test drive earlier In the egolf. I think hand on heart given my hectic test drives over 2 days and reading opinions/comment/guide I am going to stick with the M3.

The grass isn’t always greener. Nor is the present. Range and personal needs is king pros and cons for each. Really appreciate all the guidance stay safe Ev folk. 👍😎🤓

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
@Jayne so nice to hear your unbiased opinion and truly helpful rundown. Sounds like you got a bargain at the time. 👍 I averaged 4.3 in the test drive earlier In the egolf. I think hand on heart given my hectic test drives over 2 days and reading opinions/comment/guide I am going to stick with the M3.

The grass isn’t always greener. Nor is the present. Range and personal needs is king pros and cons for each. Really appreciate all the guidance stay safe Ev folk. 👍😎🤓
I think it’s the right decision, for what it’s worth.

You might not be doing many miles now and for the foreseeable, but who knows 6 months down the line?

It’s also usually not a good financial decision to chop and change cars when they’re relatively new, as I’ve found to my cost over the years!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
528 Posts
80 is absolutely worst case in my experience, you’d need to be driving well over the motorway speed limit to get that.

My round work trip is just under 80 miles across A roads, average speed about 50 mph, it does that kind of journey standing on its head in any weather.
And that's exactly the point of that number - where the car performs at its lowest economy - on the highway in winter with heat on - you'll see not a lot over 80 miles.

A roads is where EVs are at their best (i can do 180 miles in the i3s on A roads); motorways trying to achieve 75+ in all weather is where they perform badly (but I get just over 100-110 miles on the motorway...). Well, I mean 100mpg equivalent instead of 200. Still spectacular, but given the paucity of onboard energy it doesn't get you very far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts