Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've went from being someone who drives around 100-200 miles per week and charged using public chargers a couple of times a week, I have no home charging/off-street parking, to being someone who is fortunate enough to be able to work at home and do very little driving.

However should I be concerned about making sure the battery gets run down and recharged on a regular basis to make sure performance stays good?

For the last week or so I've given the car a run round the block every couple of days the way I would with any car.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
However should I be concerned about making sure the battery gets run down and recharged on a regular basis to make sure performance stays good?
No, that’s an old wive’s tale.

For the Zoe just use it normally - if the SOC is somewhere under 90% and more than 20% it should be more than fine.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
501 Posts
The 400v traction battery is best left at around 50% if it's being left for some time unused,and it's not good practice to leave a Lithium battery at 100% for prolonged periods. The SOC doesn't fall much when standing.

It's the 12v battery that you need to take care off. The communications and locking and other things I may not be aware of do put a drain on the 12v battery.
Zoé does not charge the 12v battery when left standing, so it can deplete over a number of weeks..
To charge the 12v battery you only need to open the door, and do something like put the keycard in the slot to stop it going to sleep after a few minutes. No need to drive it, though a mile or two to clean the brake discs up is preferable. I'd not leave it more than a week.
The exhaust shouldn't rot either due to short runs...........

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Mine's just parked up and I have no worries.

I left it for 4 weeks last year when I was away in Australia. Came back and the 12v was at it's usual level and the traction battery lost about 3%....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes weather dependent I expect to do a mile or so every couple of days. For the sake of the 12v battery and to give the brakes a go.

In the cold weather I'd at least run it a couple of meters every other day to make sure nothing seizes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
On the old Zoe I used to leave the handbrake off.

It’s not really required on flat ground and stops the Pads seizing to the drum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never bothered with any of the above charging advice, 400 miles a week and 30,000 miles later i haven't noticed any drop off in range or performance.

As cah197 says, always leave the handbrake off if you can, the drums do rust together....

Hope all is well with you!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have left our Zoe several times each for around two months. It is garaged and I leave it part charged and with the charging flap open. The 400v battery does not appear to lose any charge during these periods. The 12v does lose charge which is why I leave charging flap open so that can plug in when I return and charge up both batteries. The charging flap is released by power from the 12v and I am concerned that if the 12v battery went flat I would be unable to open the charging flap.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I seem to drive mine more, because a) it's still new and b) the gym is closed, so I became a member of the nearby forest for some illegal logging activities (squats, curls, pull-ups, dead-lifts and such using... tree branches) and some serious running from my past and responsibilities; I now can't justify the gym membership anymore...

That's about 30 miles per day in total now vs 10-15 before; average

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
624 Posts
The charging flap is released by power from the 12v and I am concerned that if the 12v battery went flat I would be unable to open the charging flap.
If the 12V battery was flat then you wouldn't be able to charge anyway. It is needed to run the charging control system to communicate with the EVSE to start the charge.

I still keep a 12V battery charger and a 12V battery tester (Battery tester for 12V battery). The charger would work if you came back to a flat 12V battery. The tester lets you know if you need to change the 12V battery after 3 years as recommended by Renault, or not.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You'll maybe get those 3 miles back with rising temps over the weekend.

Reactions: cah197 and dparr59

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
Going nowhere is certainly reversing some of my excess mileage

All I do is occasionally nip to the supermarket for food. Last time did Tesco and plugged in - back to 100% by the time I'd done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts