Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 2018 egolf was towed in to be fixed last week due to malfunction - the car thought it had the charger constantly plugged in and therefore would not start. It turned out some water had got to the electrics at the back of the charging socket and this had to be replaced.

Since it was fixed I have noticed a significant decline in m/kWh on the same daily journey - going from 5.5 most days to only 4 now. Also the regen braking on 1 appears to be much more 'grabby', seemingly unable to fly down country lanes, gaining range; much preferring to brake, reducing speed to almost a crawl, even on steep hills.

Has anyone else had this? Is this due to an update and if so, will they be able to reduce the regen severity or roll it back? B mode now acts like an emergency brake!

Also, what is the symbol on the speedo with the foot and the up arrow? This seems to be happening more frequently and always comes on on hills, annoyingly braking autonomously - can this be switched off?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also, what is the symbol on the speedo with the foot and the up arrow? This seems to be happening more frequently and always comes on on hills, annoyingly braking autonomously - can this be switched off?
This is the 'eco driving tips' and yes it can be switched off, although I can't remember which menu it's in. I didn't like it initially but by the time I figured out how to turn it off, I had got accustomed to it and ended up putting it back on as I couldn't get used to driving without it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the 'eco driving tips' and yes it can be switched off, although I can't remember which menu it's in. I didn't like it initially but by the time I figured out how to turn it off, I had got accustomed to it and ended up putting it back on as I couldn't get used to driving without it!
Thanks ElectRick - this has fixed the very heavy autonomous breaking on hills, but the other issue remains. When I am driving with regen 1 on a slight downhill I don't expect the car to reduce speed significantly and it wasn't previously, however now it woupd come to a stop if i didn't accelerate- this isn't how it drove before.

Does anyone know about updates? Has there been a recent one that would do this? Can VW change the regen settings?

Much appreciated

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have noticed a reduction in mile per kw but I am 100% sure it's a result of lower ambient temperatures and not due to any other factors.
For what it's worth, my regen behaves just like it always has.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
Hi all, my 2018 egolf was towed in to be fixed last week due to malfunction - the car thought it had the charger constantly plugged in and therefore would not start. It turned out some water had got to the electrics at the back of the charging socket and this had to be replaced.

Since it was fixed I have noticed a significant decline in m/kWh on the same daily journey - going from 5.5 most days to only 4 now. Also the regen braking on 1 appears to be much more 'grabby', seemingly unable to fly down country lanes, gaining range; much preferring to brake, reducing speed to almost a crawl, even on steep hills.

Has anyone else had this? Is this due to an update and if so, will they be able to reduce the regen severity or roll it back? B mode now acts like an emergency brake!

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Coincident with weather/temp changes.

Unlikely to be anything else.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments- yes, the reduction in m/kw is likely to be down to the weather changing. The breaking was definitely not the same though - went back to VW on Friday. They said due to replacing a main part, the car has had a reset and is likely to be learning my driving style and that the regen will adapt based on driving habits. Sounds plausible...?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
Thanks for the comments- yes, the reduction in m/kw is likely to be down to the weather changing. The breaking was definitely not the same though - went back to VW on Friday. They said due to replacing a main part, the car has had a reset and is likely to be learning my driving style and that the regen will adapt based on driving habits. Sounds plausible...?
Not really .... see how it goes ....

·
Registered
854 Posts
Displayed miles/kWh changing maybe, but unlikely.

The regen adapting, just no.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Regen braking has nothing to do with driving style, I believe. I think this just shows dealer is misinformed. When battery SoC is very close to 100%, car will not give full regeneration to protect cells from getting above ~4.1V, but once SoC is below 95% or so, full regeneration power is restored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts