Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my car displayed the "Change Key Fob Battery" warning in the centre console display on start up.
The car is only six months old and has covered approx 6,000 miles.
I have never been required / requested to change any of my key fob batteries in any of my last eight VW's I have previously owned, so was a little shocked to receive this warning so early in its life !!!.
I owned most of my previous VW models for about two or three years, but never had to change any of the fob batteries in car before.
This is the first VW that I have owned that has been fitted with "keyless entry" system, does it reduce the battery life more quickly than the standard type of key fob ???????.
I use the same key all of the time, so the spare has done no work at all from delivery.
I have taken the spare key into the car and pressed the "start" button, no message appears so it must be the main key battery that is low on charge and gladly not a fault of the system, Phew !!!!.
I have "flipped" the battery cover on the affected key fob and the battery is a 3Volt (Flat) Lithium COIN CELL battery commonly know as a :- CR2025.
Here is a short tutorial video on "Utube" that clearly displays how to change the battery on a Mk7 Golf.

Has anybody else had to change there key fob battery so early in its life ???.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Still waiting for my GTE to arrive but my current car had keyless. It's 3 years old and covered over 80k miles - just this week is it telling me that the battery is low. Sounds a bit odd that yours has gone already

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got this message today, not sure how old my key battery is but I only bought the car (2016 model) 5 weeks ago!

I’ll updat this thread with any issues as I’ve purchased 2 X CR 2025 Duracell batteries today for €5.50 so even if I got 6 months for €2.75 it’s not that bad, not ideal but still.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the car is fitted with keyless entry, then you will be flipping the fob battery at about every 7 - 8 months.
Non keyless entry models, every 2 - 3 years !.
The keyless entry models EAT the fob batteries !.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the car is fitted with keyless entry, then you will be flipping the fob battery at about every 7 - 8 months.
Non keyless entry models, every 2 - 3 years !.
The keyless entry models EAT the fob batteries !.
Ah now this makes a lot of sense if they’re always broadcasting for keyless entry. I should get a while out of mine so as I do not have keyless entry 😊

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
248 Posts
I had mine go last month when about 18 months old. I had no warning, I'm sure, BUT where would, or should, that warning have appeared on my 2018 GTE Advance?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had mine go last month when about 18 months old. I had no warning, I'm sure, BUT where would, or should, that warning have appeared on my 2018 GTE Advance?
Not sure on the latest models, it would fill the whole drivers info screen between the both main clocks in the dash panel on the older models !.
There was no missing it !.
You would get a warning Bong as well as wording on the screen.

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
248 Posts
There was no missing it !.
Thanks for that. I think I need to do a bit more research on this as I, pretty, definitely didn't see or hear anything untoward in the days leading to the failure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
General advice on these forums is to have a couple of CR2025 in the car glove box and at home. You may or may not get a warning the battery is going flat. Huge differences between battery stamina and top brand doesn't always mean top quality cell. Some people have squeezed a CR2032 in the key which is thicker and has longer life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
General advice on these forums is to have a couple of CR2025 in the car glove box and at home. You may or may not get a warning the battery is going flat. Huge differences between battery stamina and top brand doesn't always mean top quality cell. Some people have squeezed a CR2032 in the key which is thicker and has longer life.
I was thinking the same but I was reluctant to store my spare CR2025 in the glove box due to drastic temperature changes with the seasons? Freezing winters and scorching summers can’t be good for battery storage but maybe it’s not even relevant with modern cells. Then again, the car itself has a battery battling all these elements so who knows? 😊

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking the same but I was reluctant to store my spare CR2025 in the glove box due to drastic temperature changes with the seasons? Freezing winters and scorching summers can’t be good for battery storage but maybe it’s not even relevant with modern cells. Then again, the car itself has a battery battling all these elements so who knows? 😊
According to Energizer their battery operating temp is within -30 degrees C and 60 degrees C, so I think they should be safe in the car as long as the battery doesn't change temperature extremes rapidly

·
Registered
136 Posts
Isn't there a couple of slots in the little tray by the by the steering wheel where a couple of battery could live?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts