Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After a bit of guidance re dvla V5c and also supercharging following change of owner. Basically I have bought my M3 from my own Ltd company, agreed a price funded job done.

Now despite trawling tinterweb I cannot see clear guide on a) if the V5 purely change of name section 3 will suffice for me as the new owner or whether I need to complete the new keeper details, section 2. Any ideas comments welcomed.

Furthermore for the current supercharging miles as there is no change to the app etc as it鈥檚 the same the remaining allowance will still be valid?

Any guide would be hugely appreciated 馃榾

Registered
V5 is merely notice of keeper - nothing to do with ownership.

You can leave it that way, so long as the speeding tickets can reach you. ;)

Superchargers miles are linked to you Tesla on your MyTesla account. Again, there should be no need to change this?

Registered
You cannot just "change ownership" of the car. You have to buy it from the LTD at a fair market price.

Registered
Yes I know that @Jimbo that鈥檚 exactly what I have done, agreed via my accountant a price and have paid for it. I am querying the paperwork side.
Should be the same as any car sale / purchase as far as the V5C goes.

You might need to update the address & remove VAT reg details in "My Tesla".

Don't forget to update the insurance too...

Registered
Should be the same as any car sale / purchase as far as the V5C goes.

You might need to update the address & remove VAT reg details in "My Tesla".

Don't forget to update the insurance too...
This is the point. He doesn鈥檛 actually need to change the registered keeper and up the number of keepers on the V5. This is unnecessary.

As far as My Tesla goes, they don鈥檛 care. If the car is already attached to his My Tesla account what is the issue?

Insurance change sure. But that鈥檚 a minor amendment.

Registered
The registered keeper for my M3 is the LTD company, which would be incorrect if I owned the vehicle.

Registered
The registered keeper for my M3 is the LTD company, which would be incorrect if I owned the vehicle.
Ok. Here鈥檚 a thought experiment.

I own the car but my wife is the registered keeper. What鈥檚 the problem with that?

Registered
Ok. Here鈥檚 a thought experiment.

I own the car but my wife is the registered keeper. What鈥檚 the problem with that?
Nothing wrong with it.

However, in the OPs case, and in mine (if I were to do the same thing) the keeper is changing.

Registered
I haven't succumbed to permiedom yet, but I'm not sure why I should have to wind the company up. It seems to me that if I were to switch, my company can remain owning the car, as long as it has enough money in the bank to pay insurance and maintenance, and I keep paying my BIK..?

Registered
I haven't succumbed to permiedom yet, but I'm not sure why I should have to wind the company up. It seems to me that if I were to switch, my company can remain owning the car, as long as it has enough money in the bank to pay insurance and maintenance, and I keep maying my BIK..?
Count yourself lucky!

Well, it beats paying for it out of your already taxed pocket IMHO but I'm sure circumstances vary :)

Registered
Dumb question but isn鈥檛 this likely to attract the attention of HMRC? i.e. if it looks like it was always intended to be a private purchase but was put through the company to dodge the VAT liability? Or am I being dumb?

Registered
I haven't succumbed to permiedom yet, but I'm not sure why I should have to wind the company up. It seems to me that if I were to switch, my company can remain owning the car, as long as it has enough money in the bank to pay insurance and maintenance, and I keep paying my BIK..?
It's an interesting one which I've not come across. However there's no issue paying a salary from a non-trading company, so a BIK would fall under the same rules. But bear in mind there is the chance that HMRC could come after you retrospectively if they decide to look at old IR35 cases.

Registered
Dumb question but isn鈥檛 this likely to attract the attention of HMRC? i.e. if it looks like it was always intended to be a private purchase but was put through the company to dodge the VAT liability? Or am I being dumb?
If the company has ceased trading for legitimate reasons, then there isn't an issue. The company couldn't claim VAT on ongoing costs and wouldn't have claimed VAT on the vehicle purchase anyway.

Registered
It's an interesting one which I've not come across. However there's no issue paying a salary from a non-trading company, so a BIK would fall under the same rules. But bear in mind there is the chance that HMRC could come after you retrospectively if they decide to look at old IR35 cases.
i鈥檓 a little bemused that this is unusual, as I would think it to be quite a common situation where a company say fails to secure new contracts (maybe only temporarily) but still has money and existing assets remaining in the business. I鈥檓 also not sure why IR35 should come into it if my original contract that was assessed as outside IR35 is terminated and I am forced to go perm under completely different rules. However I am no expert!

Registered
I don't deal with many contractors, so this situation is unusual for me to be honest. It's quite rare for my clients to cease trading, and when they do, they sell the vehicles (to themselves/3rd party) or hand the lease cars back. Don't forget, it's only from April that it would make any sense to keep a company open to run an electric car. If you're happy your contracts are outside IR35, then there's no need to worry. Many, many aren't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts