Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my MINI now for about 6 weeks. I love the quietness of the Max eDrive mode, but have noticed the the car switches to ICE mode frequently. Occasionally it does this even with a full battery, the car cannot be switched back into Max eDrive mode, I get a message saying Max eDrive is not available. Unless I switch off the car & switch it back on again.
This is a bit of a pain when I want to run on pure battery without the petrol engine kicking in. I am trying to figure out what makes this happen, it is frequently when pulling away from a standstill and does this with me being heavy on the throttle pedal.

Recently I have been trying to figure out how much I can accelerate without the ice kicking in, but am finding even with the pointer within the yellow range the ICE kicks in.
In the handbook folder I have an Owners Handbook and a Supplementary Owners Handbook which contains nothing but conformity details. The Owners Handbook makes reference to “Owners Handbook for Navigation, entertainment, Communcation” and states this is available from Service! Any ideas if BMW charge for this?

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
160 Posts
I love the way people want others to do their Googling for them. Try this: Max eDrive mode, Click on 'Content' and select Mini eDrive and scroll to Maz eDrive.:sneaky:

MAX eDRIVE
General information
The vehicle is driven exclusively electrically.
If necessary, the maximum electrical speed that applies to MAX eDRIVE may be deliberately exceeded with the aid of kick down, refer to page 135. The combustion engine is automatically started and the system switches to AUTO eDRIVE mode. Automatic starting of the engine while driving, refer to page 122.

Attachments

·
The key to life is in the question...
67 Posts
I have had my MINI now for about 6 weeks. I love the quietness of the Max eDrive mode, but have noticed the the car switches to ICE mode frequently. Occasionally it does this even with a full battery, the car cannot be switched back into Max eDrive mode, I get a message saying Max eDrive is not available. Unless I switch off the car & switch it back on again.
This is a bit of a pain when I want to run on pure battery without the petrol engine kicking in. I am trying to figure out what makes this happen, it is frequently when pulling away from a standstill and does this with me being heavy on the throttle pedal.

Recently I have been trying to figure out how much I can accelerate without the ice kicking in, but am finding even with the pointer within the yellow range the ICE kicks in.
In the handbook folder I have an Owners Handbook and a Supplementary Owners Handbook which contains nothing but conformity details. The Owners Handbook makes reference to “Owners Handbook for Navigation, entertainment, Communication” and states this is available from Service! Any ideas if BMW charge for this?
I get what you are saying and have also noticed the more "random than really necessary" switch to ICE whilst in Max E Drive, im 8 months and 15,000 miles in now, so have had a few occurrences myself.

Mine usually switches back to Max E when I manually flick the drive select switch up and have never had to do a key on restart to force that change.... that either sounds like a fault, or whatever triggered the Max E Drive to switch off in the first instance is still "visible" to the drivesystem when you are trying to switch back.

The concept of the "kick down" is as much to do with the speed of throttle position change as it is to do with pure throttle position - try it on a quiet stretch of road, you can go vvvveeeerrrrryyyyy sssslllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyy to (nearly) WOT without the ICE intervention, but you can also get the ICE to kick in with a very small amount of throttle position change if you stab the pedal very quickly.

Also things like gradient, battery SOC and parasitic loading (A/C, heated seats, wipers and headlights) etc will all have a large affect on battery demand and depending on the "perfect storm" of conditions the car might see enough threshold parameters to trigger the ICE even though you as the driver are now expecting or needing that. I would have to say, the Mini is not the most refined Hybrid I have driven, but its certainly the one I now have most experience with - would be interesting to hear from other PHEV drivers (who are not Mini owners) ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts