Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Like all Leaf 24 and 30 users I have a Type 1 connector on my a.c. charger.

It is likely that I will never buy an ICE car again, though we have a few at home.

So whatever cars we have in future, it looks like the Type 2 charging port will be the standard.

I know I could change my charger from tethered Type 1 to a Type 2 socket, and that is likely to be the way forward. However, what is the difference between the 6.6kW charger on the Leaf40 and the 6.6kW in my Leaf30?

I could invest in a tethered Type 2 power supply at 22kW? (3 Phase supply, old house built for storage heaters).

Could I get the Type 1 socket on my car updated to Type 2? Not the whole charger, just the socket?

There would be other considerations, like the cost of modifying or replacing the Granny from Type 1 to Type 2...

If Type 2 is the way ahead, why not offer a a modification from Type 1 connection to Type 2?

What do you think? If EVs are the way ahead, and Type 2 fits almost everything currently available, why not?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What do I think ?

I think to modify it would be a waste of money. All you need it a type1 to type2 cable and the job is done. Around 150 quid. As for 22kWh charging, I think thats been done - it consisted of some bolt on chargers under the car. IIRC it was very expensive and did not catch on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After a few years of only type 2 socketed car sales the vast majority of cars on the road will have become type 2.
At this point the convenience* of tethered type 2 public charge points will maybe make them the norm.
Though it is years away it could well happen. At that point a conversion of the cars socket from type 1 to type 2 might be worth it.

* Convenience = no rearranging the shopping in the boot to get to your charging cable, no fear that someone is going to steal your £150 charging cable, just turn up and plug in.

Note: the USA has quite a lot of tethered type 1 public charge points as that has been the dominant standard over there.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
After a few years of only type 2 socketed car sales the vast majority of cars on the road will have become type 2.
At this point the convenience* of tethered type 2 public charge points will maybe make them the norm.
Though it is years away it could well happen. At that point a conversion of the cars socket from type 1 to type 2 might be worth it.

* Convenience = no rearranging the shopping in the boot to get to your charging cable, no fear that someone is going to steal your £150 charging cable, just turn up and plug in.

Note: the USA has quite a lot of tethered type 1 public charge points as that has been the dominant standard over there.
Whilst it would be convenient for drivers, tethered charge point would I suspect cost an absolute fortune for the networks and make them a whole lot less reliable, as people would be constantly breaking them.

The rate with which I see the tethered type 1 on source London points broken, or dumped in a careless manner that means they’ll get broken, is incredible.

I’d rather just get a socket and use my own cable for reliability and cost benefit. I’ve put an awful lot of stuff in my Leaf without even dropping the seats and never had to take the cables out!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,630 Posts
Not sure how safe these adapters are to use, but heck of a lot cheaper than modifications to the leaf and granny lead

Type 2 to Type 1 Cable Adaptor
Not recognised by any standards, so would be considered unsafe by a manufacturer and probably by an insurer if you were to use one and something went wrong requiring a claim on the warranty/insurance policy. I would say definitely not worth the risk!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Which charger do you have? I converted my ChargeMaster one from Type 1 to Type 2 and it was very easy. You can buy a Type 2 cable from EVBitz pre-wired for the CM charger. For neatness I also swapped the front panel using one I bought secondhand but you could just buy a Type 2 wall mount holster instead.

Type 1&2 EVSE Cables

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,
Thank you for your replies, sorry To have been so slow to respond, life got in the way.

I agree with your comments Type 2 looks like the standard. I wonder if CCS with Type 2 will become the default.

I have a 7kW PodPoint; the installer mentioned that the units use quite standard, modified on site at installation 3/7kW tethered or socket. I guess there is a single phase and a three phase base.

I am afraid my OCD kicks in when I see untidy cables, I am that weird bloke who puts them tidy, even on adjacent chargers. I am bound to be the one who arrives just after the cable has been run over by a fossil driver blocking the charging bay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@HumberThumper I found your thread whilst searching to your exact question.
We also own a gen 1 Leaf and I am wondering whether changing the socket for a type 2 would give us more options around the sometimes busy & unreliable charging network.
I know adaptors are available, but so are sockets and the result would be more charging possibilities without extra cables!
Did you pursue the idea further?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am interested in buying a leaf 40 and still keep our leaf 24.
With a tethered type 1 connector on our charger at the moment, wondering which is the best way to go?
1. A new type 2 untethered charger so I can use which ever lead comes with each car
2. Keep the type 1 tethered charger and use a type 1 to type 2 adapter
I would prefer option 2 so I did not have to get the leads out of the car all the time.
I think to retrofit a type 2 socket to the early leaf is quite difficult and probably not worth the hassle in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"I think to retrofit a type 2 socket to the early leaf is quite difficult and probably not worth the hassle in my opinion."
Am not sure whether it would be or not. The adaptor leads just look like cable with a type 1 plug on one end & a type 2 socket on the other with no electrickery in between. If that is literally all they are then it sounds technically simple at least or am I missing something?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe my post was not clear
Adapter to convert existing charger lead to type 2 easy just plug and play.
To convert car from type 1 to type 2 is a bit more involved.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am interested in buying a leaf 40 and still keep our leaf 24.
With a tethered type 1 connector on our charger at the moment, wondering which is the best way to go?
1. A new type 2 untethered charger so I can use which ever lead comes with each car
2. Keep the type 1 tethered charger and use a type 1 to type 2 adapter
I would prefer option 2 so I did not have to get the leads out of the car all the time.
I think to retrofit a type 2 socket to the early leaf is quite difficult and probably not worth the hassle in my opinion.
@Davy EV leaf , I have a type 1 tethered EVSE too, originally installed for an Outlander. I use the following connector for my 62Leaf (your option 2 I think). It feels decent quality and in 11 months has been very good:

·
Registered
55 Posts
"I think to retrofit a type 2 socket to the early leaf is quite difficult and probably not worth the hassle in my opinion."
Am not sure whether it would be or not. The adaptor leads just look like cable with a type 1 plug on one end & a type 2 socket on the other with no electrickery in between. If that is literally all they are then it sounds technically simple at least or am I missing something?
This has come up before. Physically I am sure it can be made to fit and as you say there is no clever logic needed between the two. The issue is that the type 1 connector has a microswitch in the button that you use to release it which breaks the signal line and therefore the EVSE drops the power so it is never connected/disconnected under load. Type 2 works on a different principle in that the latching is done by the vehicle, so the vehicle breaks the signal line then releases the cable so it can be unplugged. If you just change the socket and leave out the latch you will end up unplugging it while the current is still flowing which will start to arc away the connectors in the plug and socket. In theory the signal pins are shorter than the power pins so SHOULD disconnect and drop the power before the power pins separate, but you are relying on the logic in the EVSA being quicker than you pulling the plug.... I am sure something could be done to work around this either with a push button under the charge flap which breaks the signal line and delatches the connector or utilising the existing locking latch circuit which is controlled by the switch in the car.

Note that the adaptor does not implement this either, so if you pull the type 2 connectors apart where the adaptor joins the type 2 cable you will have the same issue. If you always disconnect the type 1 from the car first (where the push button switch will disconnect the signal wires first) then it is fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts