Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the confusing subject suggests, I'm wondering if it is possible to chop one of the Type 2 charging plugs off a Type 2 to Type 2 cable and basically use it as a tethered Type 2 cable and hard wire it into my Podpoint which is currently a Type 1.

I don't really want to add an adapter onto my current Type 1 cable as I've read mixed reports on the compatability of those with my car (Skoda Superb iV).

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,940 Posts
You don't need to do that. It's simpler to buy the tethered cable and fit it to your Podpoint. I (with the help of my auto electrician son in law) fitted one to our Chargemaster about 6 months ago. Cable was about £70. You could get more selling your cable on Ebay.

We also converted my daughter's type 2 tethered to type 1 (Zoe to Leaf) and that's how I got the type 2 tethered lead. My charger was untethered. That's why I won't describe how we did ours, as it is different to yours (but same in theory). It took a couple of hours to do it as we were extremely careful.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
You can buy the cables from here there is also some handy information for passing to a sparkie to get the job done. The chap was very helpful on the phone too when I called for advice on a cable that stopped charging.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Type 1 teathered podpoint units don’t have a 6ma dc bender, a type 2 needs it.

Get a quote off podpoint, they’ll describe all the work you need, then find someone to do it cheaper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Type 1 teathered podpoint units don’t have a 6ma dc bender, a type 2 needs it.

Get a quote off podpoint, they’ll describe all the work you need, then find someone to do it cheaper.
From what I head read it looked like it was a relatively simple rewiring job. Hadn't come across needing 6ma dc bender before?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts