Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving a Leaf for the last two years and had Chargemaster fit me a 32amp tethered EVSE about a year ago. The lease on my Leaf is up soon and I'm pretty close to getting an i3. However, obviously having a tethered EVSE for a Leaf will mean it is redundant if I get the i3.

I've spoken to Chargemaster and they say there is nothing that can be done, it can't be swapped out, the connector cant be changed and I've got to keep it for the next two years even though there is a high chance it won't ever be used again. My only option appears to be to buy an additional EVSE.

Has any one had any experience or solutions to this. I'm kicking myself for not getting the untethered version as I already had a 32 amp cable but hindsight etc. etc. any ideas would be gratefully received.

Super Moderator
I can't see why you couldn't (get an electrician to) change the plug on the end of the lead, or change the lead itself. OLEV wouldn't have any way of detecting that, other than driving up to your house to look, and even if they did.... so what?

Reactions: derekb

Banned
I had the inverse problem in having previously paid for a 32A Type 1 myself, so claimed the Type 2 using an OLEV grant.

I doubt I'd be happy with a DIY swap-over - for a start the holster isn't going to hold the different gun. I'd just buy and install a cheap Rolec EVSE with a socket to go alongside the existing one.

Dear Nissan & Mitsubishi,

Why are you still selling cars in the UK with Type 1 now we have Type 2? Is this a deliberate lock-in move?

Yours,

EV Drivers in despair.

Registered
I had the inverse problem in having previously paid for a 32A Type 1 myself, so claimed the Type 2 using an OLEV grant.

I doubt I'd be happy with a DIY swap-over - for a start the holster isn't going to hold the different gun. I'd just buy and install a cheap Rolec EVSE with a socket to go alongside the existing one.

Dear Nissan & Mitsubishi,

Why are you still selling cars in the UK with Type 1 now we have Type 2? Is this a deliberate lock-in move?

Yours,

EV Drivers in despair.
I can't help but wonder what is wrong with Type 1 that we have to go to Type 2? (I'm sure someone with better understanding will enlighten me as to the advantages of Type 2).

Banned
I can't help but wonder what is wrong with Type 1 that we have to go to Type 2? (I'm sure someone with better understanding will enlighten me as to the advantages of Type 2).
Support for 3-phase in the same connector is the main thing I think. You couldn't have a Zoe with a Type 1 socket.

It makes no sense to me at all why Nissan are dragging their feet, other than to lock-in car owners in their next purchase. Unfortunately for me it's gone the opposite way, I can't ever buy a Nissan or Mitsubishi now until they see the light.

Registered
Support for 3-phase in the same connector is the main thing I think. You couldn't have a Zoe with a Type 1 socket.

It makes no sense to me at all why Nissan are dragging their feet, other than to lock-in car owners in their next purchase. Unfortunately for me it's gone the opposite way, I can't ever buy a Nissan or Mitsubishi now until they see the light.
And we need support for 3-phase because...? (Forgive my ignorance, though I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering). (Oh, and an answer of "Because the Zoe needs it" isn't what I'm looking for! What does 3-phase give? More current?)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

Banned
And we need support for 3-phase because...? (Forgive my ignorance, though I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering). (Oh, and an answer of "Because the Zoe needs it" isn't what I'm looking for! What does 3-phase give? More current?)
Much higher AC power - each phase at 63A giving you 43kW total, which is what the Zoe makes use of (and I believe the Model S to a lesser degree, I'm sure someone will correct me.)

It all comes down to the AC vs DC charging debate. Type 2 gives more options enabling cheaper charging stations that use 3-phase AC. Type 1 is great in counties where 3-phase is less common (like the US), but here in Europe Type 2 is a better fit for our infrastructure.

Driving yet another EV!
With a type-2 connector at the car end it is easy to charge 3kW or 7kW at home (16A and 32A single phase) and 7kW out-and-about (same as a Leaf) but then you can easily charge at 11kW at almost any commercial location (16A three-phase) and 22kW is as easy in most cases (32A three-phase). A type-2 equipped Leaf could get a full charge in just over an hour using a charger that would cost about the same to install as a "domestic" version.

Banned
and I believe the Model S to a lesser degree, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Correct, the Model S has a Type 2 compatible socket and can charge from 1kW to 22kW depending on power available at the Charging Station and whether the car has one or two chargers fitted :)

Banned
Also worth remembering that the Type 2 connector can support DC using the same pins as we use today for AC... that can deliver 70kW using DC-Mid, and 135kW+ using the Tesla enhancements.

Basically 1kW AC to 135kW+ DC all in the same connector :)

Type_2_AC_DC.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts