Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
I think that as the beam cutoff is flat on the GTE LEDs, you don’t need to do anything.

There is a thing called Travel Mode accessed by the CAR > LIGHT > Travel Mode RHD Traffic, but I don’t think my old GTE had that, or the e-Golf.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that as the beam cutoff is flat on the GTE LEDs, you don’t need to do anything.

There is a thing called Travel Mode accessed by the CAR > LIGHT > Travel Mode RHD Traffic, but I don’t think my old GTE had that, or the e-Golf.
Thanks, I will have to research what travel mode does, and what model year car it is on. My car is a 2015 GTE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will have to research what travel mode does, and what model year car it is on. My car is a 2015 GTE
Just found this, but they say it should not be used permanently.
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
If you have to drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the asymmetric dipped beam headlights may dazzle oncoming traffic with xenon headlights. Therefore, the headlights must be switched over if you are driving abroad.
The headlight orientation can be adjusted using the
button and the
and Light function buttons in the infotainment system   .
A qualified workshop can provide you with further information. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Mine was a 2015 GTE and I don’t remember having that option, I think it applied to cars equipped with dynamic lighting, and mine didn’t have that, just the regular corner lighting I think.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
There's an option on the 2018 egolf to drive on the right or left on the standard lights. I used it the first summer we had the car and drove to northern France. Felt very clever being able to switch it over with an option in the car instead of having to buy, and fit correctly, stickers for the lights.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Travel mode on the newer GTEs just seems to drop both lights by a smidgen, given the beam cutoff is flat across both headlights and there is no kick up on the left hand side to illuminate the near side on a right hand drive car.

As the beam pattern is the same on your 2015 model, you can achieve similar in a few seconds with an Allen key whilst parked opposite a wall or similar, just tweak the white adjustments on the top of each headlight. I’m still pretty sure that headlight beams with a flat cutoff and no kick up don’t need any adjustments anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Travel mode on the newer GTEs just seems to drop both lights by a smidgen, given the beam cutoff is flat across both headlights and there is no kick up on the left-hand side to illuminate the near side on a right-hand drive car.

As the beam pattern is the same on your 2015 model, you can achieve similar in a few seconds with an Allen key whilst parked opposite a wall or similar, just tweak the white adjustments on the top of each headlight. I’m still pretty sure that headlight beams with a flat cutoff and no kick up don’t need any adjustments anyway.
Thanks, I have just purchased 2017 7.5. For the price difference and the milage difference I just had too. Now i need to find out if the lights are the same as the previous 2015 7 models. Keeping the car abroad it might just be better me purchasing lhd light.. but i will give it a try 1st beforehand.

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Thanks, I have just purchased 2017 7.5. For the price difference and the milage difference I just had too. Now i need to find out if the lights are the same as the previous 2015 7 models. Keeping the car abroad it might just be better me purchasing lhd light.. but i will give it a try 1st beforehand.
My 2019 Mk 7.5 e-Golf had the same lights as the newer GTEs I believe, they were a flat cutoff as well. Never checked whether it had travel mode either, but I don’t remember ever seeing it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My 2015 GTE (MY16) had travel mode under the light setting for driving on the RHS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts