Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. One of the things I want to change with my e-Niro is the standard bulbs on all the interior lights (2 x visor lights, 1 x middle back ceiling light and 2 x front ceiling lights (did I miss any?)). Has anyone done this already and therefore know which sized bulbs to order? I'll be going to LED, obviously. If nobody has, I'll pop the light covers off some point this week and post the measurements on here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got mine from Ledperf.com.

View attachment 117126

You don't need the glovebox bulb or the resistors.

Hope this helps.
What’s the colour temperate like of those bulbs? I can’t see it listed online and personally don’t want a super white light, 4000k would be ideal. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had ordered the complete pack before delivery. My dealer kindly fitted them for me. So I had the interior LEDs from the day of purchase.
Pack Full LED interior for Kia Niro

If you choose the 'white' bulbs, the colour temperature is same as the door handle LED.

Just don't add the glovebox bulb. I didn't know before purchasing the car that there is no light in the glovebox. It must be available on the HEV/PHEV and hence it showed up in the pack.

You could purchase the individual bulbs from elsewhere. Hopefully the photograph I attached earlier will give you the bulb sizes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had ordered the complete pack before delivery. My dealer kindly fitted them for me. So I had the interior LEDs from the day of purchase.
Pack Full LED interior for Kia Niro

If you choose the 'white' bulbs, the colour temperature is same as the door handle LED.

Just don't add the glovebox bulb. I didn't know before purchasing the car that there is no light in the glovebox. It must be available on the HEV/PHEV and hence it showed up in the pack.

You could purchase the individual bulbs from elsewhere. Hopefully the photograph I attached earlier will give you the bulb sizes.
Thanks again. I've ordered the bulb kit now and will post back on here when I've got them installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My LED perf order came today. I installed the bulbs myself - the two vanity mirror lights are the most difficult - and ended blowing two fuses. Thankfully there are plenty spare and a diagram on the back of the fuse box which shows which is free. Definitely gives the interior a more modern look and feel. I’d recommend this YouTube video for getting at the map light and the vanity lights:

For the boot light, just flick out the entire casing from the end nearest the boot opening.

For the rear centre cabin light, just flick the clear casing out from the side farthest from the button.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My LED perf order came today. I installed the bulbs myself - the two vanity mirror lights are the most difficult - and ended blowing two fuses. Thankfully there are plenty spare and a diagram on the back of the fuse box which shows which is free. Definitely gives the interior a more modern look and feel. I’d recommend this YouTube video for getting at the map light and the vanity lights:

For the boot light, just flick out the entire casing from the end nearest the boot opening.

For the rear centre cabin light, just flick the clear casing out from the side farthest from the button.
What caused the fuses to blow?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What caused the fuses to blow?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I think it was because I used a metal tool to get a couple of the bulbs out, when it touched the metal connector it shorted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How did you get the front centre roof bulbs out? Mine appear to be welded in and I dare not use a pair of pliers for risk of shattering it.

Do they simply pull or any twisting involved?

·
Registered
99 Posts
No matter, I've sorted it.

Quick guide with photos (red arrows indicate where to use a small flat head screwdriver). Be gentle, nothing requires much force to do.

You will require 4x 31mm festoon bulbs and 2x 501 w5w, LED and colour choice is your own of course. Should probably cost £15-£20 from ebay / amazon max and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. I accept no liability if you are hamfisted and damage your car while doing this!

1: Front Centre Roof Lights (Map lights)
Use a small flat head screwdriver to prize off the cover. The bulb will be exposed underneath (picture 2). Simply pull the bulb out and replace with the LED 501 w5w. Unit slots back in simply in reverse of taking it off (push the front end in first, then clip it on.
Repeat for the other side.
I found out the cover is actually the switch! Hadn't noticed this before

1.JPG

2.JPG

2: Vanity mirror Lights
Use a small flat head screwdriver to prize off the entire unit (see pics 3 and 4). Switch side seems to be the easiest. Do not prize the plastic cover off and try and do it this way, it is very difficult to get the bulb back in!
Once you have the unit off simply pull the old festoon bulb out and slot the new one. Do not use any metal objects to remove the bulb, you may short it as all the metal in the fitted unit appears live. Simply use fingers or wear some gloves.
Repeat for the other side.

3.JPG
4.JPG

3: Rear Centre Roof Light
Use a small flat head screwdriver to prize the plastic cover off, inserting the screwdriver (gently!) into the 2 fairly obvious grooves and pulling downward (gently!). Do this for both slots that are closest to the front of the car. The whole plastic / glass cover should come out without much difficulty.
Pull out the old festoon and install the new one. Put the cover back on by inserting the larger plastic teeth at the back of the unit first and then pushing the front end in with a little force.

5.JPG
6.JPG

TO BE CONTINUED (BOOT LIGHT)

·
Registered
99 Posts
4: Boot Light
Use a small flat head head screwdriver to prize the entire unit out. Insert the screwdriver at the rear most edge (see pic 7). Once you have the unit off, use the screwdriver to push the plastic lip into the unit and pull the plastic cover at the same time (see pic 9). It's pretty obvious!
Replace old festoon bulb and refit in reverse.

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Easy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
4: Boot Light
Use a small flat head head screwdriver to prize the entire unit out. Insert the screwdriver at the rear most edge (see pic 7). Once you have the unit off, use the screwdriver to push the plastic lip into the unit and pull the plastic cover at the same time (see pic 9). It's pretty obvious!
Replace old festoon bulb and refit in reverse.

View attachment 117714 View attachment 117716 View attachment 117718

Easy!
Thanks for info did it all for under £8.
IMG_20190529_140120-1000x750.jpg
IMG_20190529_132233-1000x750.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
How are you finding the map lights? Mine are very temperamental and flickering so I’ll order some others.

Had a look and the original t10 bulbs were 10w but finding some 10w LEDs is a bit difficult.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How are you finding the map lights? Mine are very temperamental and flickering so I’ll order some others.

Had a look and the original t10 bulbs were 10w but finding some 10w LEDs is a bit difficult.
Mine are fine too - from ledperf. 10w LEDs would be around 2000 lumen... I would say it would be a tad bright!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I had a good look at the Niro (first time in person), at Fully Charged Show Live. I noticed the light in the boot was obviously not LED, it felt quite warm to the touch and was a dull yellow colour! Also, there was only one. I think I would not only replace it with an LED, but if I could, I'd fit two more lights in order to make using the boot a lot easier on dark winter nights!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a good look at the Niro (first time in person), at Fully Charged Show Live. I noticed the light in the boot was obviously not LED, it felt quite warm to the touch and was a dull yellow colour! Also, there was only one. I think I would not only replace it with an LED, but if I could, I'd fit two more lights in order to make using the boot a lot easier on dark winter nights!!
Could find an ultra bright LED festoon? It’s a 2 minute job to switch it out

1 - 20 of 31 Posts